(Ot) WTF Temple can't get a coach to commit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Ot) WTF Temple can't get a coach to commit

I would like to see someone come in and stay a while. Can't believe Rhule ditched them for Baylor. Thought he was different.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I was surprised he wasn't gone LAST year.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Man I really dislike this move, but I wish Mr. Rhule well. I wonder who Temple will pursue to fill the vacancy?

Greg Schiano? Just spitballing here

Comment

Even though the Temple program is in dramatically better shape than it was 10 years ago (and quite a bit better shape than it was 5 years ago), it will probably never be a destination program. That's also true of all other G5 schools and many P5 schools as well. The real surprise is that Matt Rhule decided to go to Baylor, which I think is an odd fit for him on a few different levels.

As for possible successors, some of the possible coaches include:

*Joe Moorhead, Penn State offensive coordinator
        *Matt Canada, Pitt offensive coordinator
        *Charlie Strong, former Texas and Louisville head coach
        *Phil Snow, Temple defensive coordinator (if he doesn't join Rhule at Baylor)
        *Ed Foley, Temple assistant head coach/position coach (he will be the interim coach for the Military Bowl)
        *Mario Cristobal, Alabama offensive line coach
        *Al Golden, Detroit Lions TE coach/former Temple and Miami (FL) head coach
        *Todd Bowles, New York Jets head coach (and Temple alumnus/former player)
        *K.C. Keeler, Sam Houston State head coach/former Delaware head coach
        *Kirk Ciarrocca, Western Michigan offensive coordinator (and Temple alumnus)
        *Randy Edsall, Detroit Lions director of research/former Maryland and Connecticut head coach
        *Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State head coach
        *Neal Brown, Troy head coach
        *Mike Houston, James Madison head coach
        *Andy Talley, recently retired Villanova head coach

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
          Even though the Temple program is in dramatically better shape than it was 10 years ago (and quite a bit better shape than it was 5 years ago), it will probably never be a destination program. That's also true of all other G5 schools and many P5 schools as well. The real surprise is that Matt Rhule decided to go to Baylor, which I think is an odd fit for him on a few different levels.

As for possible successors, some of the possible coaches include:

*Joe Moorhead, Penn State offensive coordinator
          *Matt Canada, Pitt offensive coordinator
          *Charlie Strong, former Texas and Louisville head coach
          *Phil Snow, Temple defensive coordinator (if he doesn't join Rhule at Baylor)
          *Ed Foley, Temple assistant head coach/position coach (he will be the interim coach for the Military Bowl)
          *Mario Cristobal, Alabama offensive line coach
          *Al Golden, Detroit Lions TE coach/former Temple and Miami (FL) head coach
          *Todd Bowles, New York Jets head coach (and Temple alumnus/former player)
          *K.C. Keeler, Sam Houston State head coach/former Delaware head coach
          *Kirk Ciarrocca, Western Michigan offensive coordinator (and Temple alumnus)
          *Randy Edsall, Detroit Lions director of research/former Maryland and Connecticut head coach
          *Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State head coach
          *Neal Brown, Troy head coach
          *Mike Houston, James Madison head coach
          *Andy Talley, recently retired Villanova head coach
          I read somewhere that Oregon wanted to hire Rhule too, but that he chose Baylor. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Baylor under sanction due to the sexual assault coverup? In any case, I can see Rhule trying hard to pull from Temple's recruiting haul.

Of the guys on the list, I am intrigued by Satterfield, Talley, Cristobal, Bowles, and Golden.

I guess Strong resurfacing there in an attempt to rehab his career is a possibility too.

Comment

Charlie Strong makes a lot of sense in this job. No real pressure on him in the AAC and 2 or 3 9+ win seasons and Bowl appearances gets him back in the P5 conferences quickly.

Comment

IMO, Joe Moorhead is the clear-cut best candidate for the Temple job. He's young (early 40s), had success as a head coach (at FCS/DI-AA Fordham, where he took over a team that was 1-10 the year before he arrived and turned it into an 12-2 team (1-1 playoff record) in 2 years), has played (at Fordham) and coached most of his career in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic so he's familiar with the region, and has extensive experience as an assistant at the FBS/DI-A level (5 years at Akron, 3 years at Connecticut when they were in the Big East, and 1 year at Penn State). It is possible Moorhead would turn the Temple head coaching position down if offered because if he has another good year as an assistant at Penn State next year, he'd likely be in line for a P5 head coaching job, maybe even with a marquee program (Notre Dame?). Even if he was offered the job and accepted it, I think he'd be successful enough that he'd only stay at most 2 years at Temple. Having said that, he's the guy I think Temple should target above everyone else.

Comment

Temple rumored to be in discussions with Charlie Strong

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...cid=spartandhp

Comment

Working...
                X