Eagles Sign DT Malik Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles Sign DT Malik Jackson

3yrs 10 million. Does not count against the comp formula. Just turned 29. Great compliment to Fletcher Cox.

Update: Its 3yrs 10 mill per year. Basically took Jernigans money.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Wow. This is just a terrific move at a great price.

Comment

Solid

Comment

That's a nice move; they were kinda thin there. If there are any "needs" at this point it would be a LB and probably DE. Other than that they are pretty solid with who they have. They really can go after best player available at each spot. Maybe the Howie & Joe show plan to move up to get a stud DE, LB, or RB (although I really can't see going high for a RB)
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          That's a nice move; they were kinda thin there. If there are any "needs" at this point it would be a LB and probably DE. Other than that they are pretty solid with who they have. They really can go after best player available at each spot. Maybe the Howie & Joe show plan to move up to get a stud DE, LB, or RB (although I really can't see going high for a RB)
          There thin at WR to. After Jeffrey and Agholor it really drops off. They need to find a starter and more depth there.

LB they need a starter

RB they need a starter

I think DE wise if Long comes back and Barnett is healthy they may be ok there for at least next year.

Comment

Not wowed, he didn't have a particularly good year last year, seems to be going downhill a bit after the 2017 pro bowl.

Also, IMHO, I think Long is being too much dependency here.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
              Not wowed, he didn't have a particularly good year last year, seems to be going downhill a bit after the 2017 pro bowl.

His 51 Mamulas (Pressures) were more than all of our DT's combined last year not named Cox.

He just turned 29 so I think he will be fine especially playing next to Cox. Not sure who he was next to in Jacksonville last year.

If he is just the 2018 version he is a huge upgrade for us. If he gets closer to the 2017 version it would be a tremendous upgrade.

Comment

I get where you are coming from on WR and maybe they do plan to go for a stud but my gut was feeling more Ertz/Goedert formations including splitting out maybe. I also think they may look to see what Hollins brings and I think they will get a Desean or Mike Wallace type to be the speed guy. So, WR may need help but I think there are possibilities.
                I like our DEs if Long is back but Howie says he looks out past next year. I think they want DE and DT in the draft.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

If you aren't wowed by 3 years for $10 million you are really going to be upset when I tell you that the contract is really 3 years for $30 million!
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    If you aren't wowed by 3 years for $10 million you are really going to be upset when I tell you that the contract is really 3 years for $30 million!
                    Not sure what you mean big guy?

If the guy performs as he did in 2017, it's a good move, but if his 2018 is a sign of downward levels--- not so good.

Comment

Not sure what you mean big guy?

If the guy performs as he did in 2017, it's a good move, but if his 2018 is a sign of downward levels--- not so good.
                      It does smell a little bit. He signed a huge contract for $80million and ended up being benched for the last 6 games (I think). Maybe the article that I read ment that he didn't start the last 6 games. Either way he must have been a pretty disgruntled guy or they just soured on him. I'm hoping for the disgruntled theory.

Comment

Domo on why the Eagles got Jackson-it sounds good anyway

Pressuring quarterbacks on the inside is a necessity in today’s NFL. That’s why the Eagles signed Malik Jackson. | Analysis
                        by Paul Domowitch, Updated: March 11, 2019- 5:04 PM

Fletcher Cox had 10½ sacks and 95 total quarterback pressures last season, which was the second most in the league, according to Pro Football Focus.

That’s the good news. The bad news is the rest of the Eagles’ interior linemen combined for just 31 pressures, including only 3½ sacks.

Now, those numbers don’t include the sacks and pressures produced by defensive ends Michael Bennett and Brandon Graham, whom Jim Schwartz frequently slid inside on passing downs. But for a lot of reasons, that’s not something you really want to do on a regular basis.

It’s why the Eagles decided to wave bye-bye to disappointing Tim Jernigan and his back problems last week, and sign 6-5, 290-pound Malik Jackson on Monday to a three-year, $30 million deal.

In this era of spread offenses and quick passing games, getting pressure up the middle on the quarterback has become an absolutely necessity. Jackson has proven he can do that.

“Over the years, I’ve talked to almost every top quarterback in the NFL and have asked them all the same question," Oakland Raiders general manager Mike Mayock said. “What bothers you the most? Almost every one of them says the same thing: immediate pressure up the middle.

“If you have a couple of good edge-rushers, [the quarterback] can step up inside the pocket if it’s sound up front. But if you’re getting push [up the middle], especially against some of those guys that don’t move well, that’s difficult.

“It disturbs sight lines. It forces you to readjust your feet. We’re at the point now where people are throwing the ball so much that you have to find a way to affect it regardless. Which places more emphasis on the inside guys."

Over the last couple of years, the Eagles have struggled against quarterbacks who get the ball out quickly. In 12 of their 16 regular-season games last year, opposing quarterbacks averaged 2.46 seconds or less from snap to release, according to Pro Football Focus.

“I think there’s so much of a premium on the quick passing game in the league right now that even some of these traditional two-gap, hold-the-point teams have got to find somebody that can get penetration inside, because offenses are finding ways to somewhat neutralize what you’re doing off the edge," said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah. “The ball is just out. You can’t get home."

Cox, a two-time All-Pro, is one of the most dominant interior linemen in the league. But like the Rams’ Donald, he almost always is double- and even triple-teamed.

Donald had the benefit of lining up next to five-time Pro Bowler Ndamukong Suh. Cox’s interior playmates most of last season were 34-year-old Haloti Ngata and practice-squadders Bruce Hector and Treyvon Hester.

Cox almost always draws double-teams, which should create winnable one-on-one matchups for the other defensive tackle. That’s why the Eagles traded for Jernigan two years ago. They thought he’d be able to take advantage of those one-on-ones.

But Jernigan had played his entire career, both at Florida State and then, at his first NFL stop with the Baltimore Ravens, in a two-gap scheme, and had more trouble than expected adjusting to Schwartz’s one-gap, wide-nine alignment. Then, after the 2017 season, he injured his back.

He played just 45 snaps in three regular-season games last year and 58 more in their two playoff tilts. Last week, the team didn’t exercise the option on his contract and let him become a free agent.

Jackson had eight sacks two years ago. He had only 3½ last year, but had 51 total quarterback pressures and was ranked fifth in pass-rush productivity by Pro Football Focus among interior linemen behind Donald, the Chiefs’ Chris Jones, Cox, and the Bengals’ Geno Atkins.

“Think back to the Seattle-New England Super Bowl a few years ago," said NFL Network analyst Charles Davis. “Seattle had Brady under control, then [Cliff Avril] gets hurt and it changes the inside pass-rush. Brady suddenly is able to step forward, and we know how that turned out.

“Look at the Eagles’ Super Bowl win two years ago. One of the biggest plays of the games comes when Brandon Graham lines up inside and knocks the ball away from Brady. That quick passing game, you’ve got to get there fast. If you can do that, you’ve got a good chance of winning."

Brandon Graham's strip-sack of Tom Brady during Super Bowl LII is the perfect example of why teams value players who can pressure from the inside.
                        The Eagles, particularly Schwartz, who likes to call his front four the “engine" of his defense, understands that.

Next month’s draft has the deepest defensive line crop in more than a decade, including as many as five tackles who could go in the first round – Quinnen Williams of Alabama, Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence of Clemson, Ed Oliver of Houston, and Jerry Tillery of Notre Dame.

The Eagles, who have the 25th overall pick in the first round and two second-round picks, almost certainly will take a defensive lineman with one of those three selections.

Even with the addition of Jackson, who recently turned 29, they still very well could take a tackle early.

“You need that push in the interior part of your pocket," Eagles coach Doug Pederson said last week at the scouting combine. “Offensively, we always protect inside out. Because that’s where defenses want to get pressure. Through the interior part of your pocket."

The Eagles have a 2019 mine-field of a schedule that features games against Brady and Seattle’s Russell Wilson and Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers and Atlanta’s Matt Ryan, and the kind of inside pressure they hope Cox and Jackson are going to be able to provide will come in handy.

Get insights on the Eagles delivered straight to your inbox with Early Birds, beat writer Zach Berman’s newsletter for Eagles fans. Click here to sign up.

Comment

Read the article and had 2 big takeaways.... 1. Push up the middle is essential. 2. Why don’t we blitz up the middle more... seems a way to achieve the new “must do”.

Again, with guy we get is the 2017 version good, if we get the 2nd year of the decline of that 2017 guy..... maybe not so good.

Comment

Working...
                          X