• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds rolling the dice again?

Jay Ajayi’s agent is maintaining discussions with the Eagles

Jay Train back in Philly?
    By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Mar 25, 2019, 3:16pm EDT

Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
    The door on Jay Ajayi returning to the Philadelphia Eagles does not appear to be closed shut. Les Bowen caught up with Ajayi’s agent at the NFL owners meetings and offered this update:

Les Bowen

@LesBowen
    Agent Drew Rosenhaus says Jay Ajayi’s visit with the Colts last week went well, but, obviously, no agreement reached yet. Says he is maintaining discussions with the Eagles. Expects Ajayi to be ready for the start of the season, probably not much before that.

1:56 PM - Mar 25, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    56 people are talking about this
    As noted last week, the fact that Ajayi left Indianapolis without a contract potentially helps the Eagles’ leverage in re-signing him. We saw how Ronald Darby signed a relatively team-friendly deal with the Eagles after Darby’s visit with the Chiefs ended without an acceptable offer.

The thing working against the Eagles’ leverage is that running back is a huge need for them. There’s just no way Philly can sit tight with the five guys they currently have under contract: Corey Clement, Wendell Smallwood, Josh Adams, Boston Scott, and Donnel Pumphrey.

This update from Bowen hardly reads that an Ajayi re-signing is imminent. But it is worth noting that the Eagles have been active at the NFL owner meetings in the past. During the 2017 meetings, the Eagles signed Patrick Robinson and Chris Long. Maybe Howie Roseman and Rosenhaus will find the time to meet in person and talk about Ajayi’s status this week.

Ajayi clearly hasn’t been a priority for the Eagles. He’s still a free agent despite the fact legal tampering began two weeks ago. Ajayi’s market obviously isn’t helped by the fact he tore his ACL in early October 2018. Philly might be open to bringing him back on a “prove it” deal but they’re not going to spend big to keep him.

We’ll eventually see how this one shakes out. For now, we know the two sides are at least communicating with each other.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

The relevant words in this article are "Drew" and "Rosenhaus". Once I saw that, I realized its just the typical agent hyperbole.."Hey, my guy's gonna get signed SOMEWHERE..I have boat payments to make"

Comment

I'd love a healthy AJ back but I really wish that they would go after Anderson. Word was that they talked to Coleman but didn't sign him. Come on Howie what was that about? Maybe Coleman wanted the ball more or something. I know that we'll draft one but we haven't hit on one since McCoy.

Comment

I have no problem bringing back Ajayi on a vet minimum prove it contract. I think the reason he is not signed with anyone is he is not healthy enough yet to know if he can play week 1. That can be a real issue.

I think eventually Ajayi comes back and they draft a back somewhere in the draft to compete with Clement, Adams and Smallwood.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
          I have no problem bringing back Ajayi on a vet minimum prove it contract. I think the reason he is not signed with anyone is he is not healthy enough yet to know if he can play week 1. That can be a real issue.

I think eventually Ajayi comes back and they draft a back somewhere in the draft to compete with Clement, Adams and Smallwood.
          I agree. Ajayi is a solid back who knows our system and personnel. Only issue is injury history and we have a plethora of backs to help minimize any missed time. The bigger question is Sproles. Has he said definitively if he is coming back or if he is retiring?
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I hear that Sroles is still on the fence Juk as is Long. I think the Curry signing is insurance for the Birds in the event Long does retire.
            Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

FYI regarding sproles.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...s-back-in-2019

Comment

I fully understand the player's position. I also don't think it fair of them to prolong that decision. The Eagle's have to make decisions right now in who they sign as FA. They will be drafting players next month. I would really hope the player would tell them before the draft if they plan to retire; even if it isn't a public announcement.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  I fully understand the player's position. I also don't think it fair of them to prolong that decision. The Eagle's have to make decisions right now in who they sign as FA. They will be drafting players next month. I would really hope the player would tell them before the draft if they plan to retire; even if it isn't a public announcement.
                  Just because Doug says that he "wants Sproles back" doesn't lock him into anything. If I were the Eagles I would proceed without him and if he wants to come back it's up to them to decide if they need him back. They don't necessarily have to start the season with him either. One guy can't hold up a team. If somebody got hurt they could always give him a call. I don't see bringing him back right now is a crucial decision unless they completely blow the running back pick again this year (like they usually do). Even then he's not the only fish in the sea.

Comment

Working...
                  X