My Off season Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Off season Plan

I know this is probably too soon but lets face it the fact we got into the playoffs was a minor miracle within itself. So here is my plan for what to do to improve this team for next year.

1. Hire a new strength and conditioning staff with an emphasis on player longevity. We can rip the Doctors all we want but they treat the players after the injury. All of these muscle issue, ankle issues etc. just point to better strength and conditioning.

2. Add to the medical staff. The Jordan Howard, Nelson Agholor, DeSean Jackson injuries all point to bad medical care after the injuries. Either they are not giving enough information to the front office or they are simply not guiding the players well enough. All three players should have been placed on IR, in Jackson case if he gets the surgery earlier in the year he is back and playing 100% healthy at the end of the year.

3. Add to the front office staff under Howie. Howie had a so so year this year adding players. None of his free agents panned out. The draft got us Sanders, got us Dillard (who should have been playing at the end of the year over Peters who is cooked). Other than that not much. He has to draft more than 5 players this year. However we have to credit Howie with getting the Boston Scotts, Greg Wards, even Burnett and Davis late in the year.

4. Move on from some of the older guys who just are not the same players they were. Peters, Curry,Jenkins (he played well yesterday but was non existent most of the year). DeSean Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey both should go as well as Agholor (who is a FA). I know there are caps hits for both Jackson and Jeffrey but neither player is the type of player I want on this team going forward. Both are selfish. DeSean for not agreeing to the Surgery earlier in the season, Alshon for his ripping of the QB and really bad body language on the field. Do not bring back Mills or Darby. I would also move on from Bradham

5. No more signing of ex cowboy, ex giant and ex redskins players. NONE OF THEM EVER work out here.

6. The coaching staff needs a refresh. I think Groh saved his job down the stretch, but Carson Walch probably still should go. If Jim Schwartz stays and I don't think he should, he should be made to change out his Dline, LB and DB coaches. Nobody is getting better on this defense. Poor technique by the corners, bad angles by the linebackers. Not enough pressure from the D line. Its not like they don't have talent there, they just are not being developed. I would also look at the special teams coaching. The return game has been a mess for a for years. Too many times I see this team fair catching when they shouldn't, letting balls go over their head instead of lining up a little farther back and coming up and catching it.

7. We have 10 draft picks this year. Use all of them. We need to bring in some more hungry young players. We saw how that worked out towards the end of the game. Imagine if we brought in guys with that energy and hunger that actually had some high level talent. (I will do a mock draft later on).

8. I love Zach Ertz, however with Goderts emergence we should consider trading Ertz for a nice haul of picks and or picks and players. Now I am not giving him away, I want at least a 1st round pick and a starting caliber player for him.

9. As far as free agents go its hard to know who is going to be truly available. Names I like
    1. Justin Simmons S Den - 26yrs old and can really play. Would be a nice upgrade from the Jenkins we got this year.
    2. Logan Ryan CB Ten - 29yrs old so a little older but we need a veteran presence at the CB spot. I like the way Ryan plays and he instantly makes us better in the secondary.
    3. A'Shawn Robinson DT Det - 25yrs old Jackson will be back but we need another hammer in there. Jackson, Cox, Robinson and Rush is an excellent DT rotation.
    4. Joe Schobert ILB CLe -26yrs old We need help at linebacker, Shobert can flat out play.
    5. Blake Martinez ILB GB -27yrs old Another ILB I really like
    6. Corey Littleton ILB LAR -26yrs old Yet another ILB
    7. Artie Burns CB Pit - 25yrs old never really cracked the lineup for Pitts should be a low cost high reward type player.
    8. Eric Murray CB Cle 26yrs old - Another CB who I think comes in and really upgrades us.

I would also resign McCloud, Kruger-Hil and Big V (as a backup)

Finally I would lobby the league for a few rules changes.
    1. Anytime the independent neurologist pulls a player from the game for any reason, the play in which player was hit on should be reviewed by the league to determine if the play was illegal or not (Flag on the field aside). If it is an illegal hit, the player should be ejected from the rest of the game. That will take the late hits, officials don't see it crap out of the game. Its pretty simple premise.

2. No more scheduling of 3 games in a row during the season where a team is on the road. That stretch really killed this team this year.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

And to think we got JJAW instead of Metcalf in the 2nd round last year. Ughhh.

Comment

I disagree on both Desean and AJ. I think they will both be back. You are paying them too much. You have to get at least one more season out of teach of them. I will say I would NEVER have signed Desean to begin with. He is NOT an injury prone guy but he is a frequently a headache. I get it... he was a changed man he said... but yet he chose not to have surgery after the initial injury and basically played 1 game out of 15.

They do need to add a WR either via the draft or free agency. I'd like to see them target Robby Anderson of the Jets and target a WR in the first or second round depending on who is available. You can't reach but in a WR heavy draft they should be able to get a kid like Tee Higgins in the first round.

Also, I disagree on the Jenkins logic. I'd also bring back Mills. I'm ok with letting Darby go. I've seen enough to know he isn't physical enough nor is he good enough in trail technique or in tracking the ball. He just gets beat.

Jenkins is a free agent after this year. He wants some security. I'd give it to him. This is almost exactly like the Brian Dawkins moment. Jenkins is getting about $8 million this year. I'd offer him $7-8 million to sign and extend the deal by 2 years. This doesn't change his cap number that much and it does carry risk because he will be 32 next year but the guy is just a mutant. I think it is worth the risk.

Right now they are projected to be $33 million under the cap.

I'd resign Jernigan if the money is right... 3 years and $14 million maybe. I'd also offer McLeod some security and I'd extend Barnett and Goedert early just so you can get that salary on the books because let's face it you are going to keep those guys long term and you need to get Goedert locked up especially before he starts asking for Ertz money...he might already be there actually.

I'd also keep Bradham, resign Kamu and extend Gerry. Gerry is a very solid NFL player and has managed to stay healthy.

I'd also keep Curry if you could. That guy will give you a hometown deal too BTW. He loves it here.

I'd also sign LeBlanc to a better deal that keeps him here for 3 years or so. That kid can cover. He got beat one time yesterday on an unbelievable catch but Lockett.

Jones is still on his rookie deal. I actually think you get one more year of control with him because he spent his first year on IR although I'd have to check on that. I am no where near wanting to commit to either him or Rasul but I am also not ready to give up on either one of them. I'd spend the entire offseason trying to convince Rasul that he is a safety.

I don't think I'd trade Ertz. I see your logic but I just wouldn't.

And I am just going to disagree with you on the coaching front. I would retain all of them. I don't get the hate for Schwartz. That defense was a top 10 defense.

I guess I could see maybe moving on front Corey Undlin the secondary coach but look at Maddox, Mills, and LeBlanc. I would also back the brinks truck up and make sure Stoutland never leaves. Look what he has done with Big V and Pryor. Now imagine in 3 years that Jordan Mialita is ready to be either your RG or RT of the future because he was coached up for 5 years.

I think finding the center of the future is another key piece to all of this. Kelce is underpaid and might retire this year. Either way, Seamaulo has proven to me he is a starting LG in this league. Don't move him. Just draft somebody that can play center when Kelce is gone.

In the draft this team needs:

1. WR - I'd be OK with getting this via trade or signing also. I'd kick the tires on OBJ actually believe it or not. And I'd settle for Robby Anderson.
      2. Defensive playmaker... either a sideline to sideline LB or a big SS. I would actually have ZERO issue if the Eagles used some draft capital to move up and get the Simmons kid from Clemson in the first round. They need a guy that can stay on the field with size.
      3. RB - Yeah yeah I know we have Sanders and Scott but they need a big move the pile back to compliment those guys.
      4. - Interior OL/Center
      5. DE
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Andrewaters they are actually 50 million under the cap. They made a couple of other moves last week with Brandon Graham that was not announced that I just saw. Here is something else there are only two players they can cut and get any time of cap relief, One is Bradham getting almost 5 million and the other is Jenkins same thing.

They have quite a few free agents.

1.Mills
        2. Darby
        3. McCloud
        4. Kamu
        5. Jernigan
        6. Sudfeld
        7. McCown
        8. Ridgeway
        9. Curry
        10. Peters
        11. Vatai
        12. AghgoDrop
        13. Rodgers
        14. Sproles

Really out of all of them McCloud should be the one that is a priority. I am giving him the money before I pay Jenkins anything else just purely based on age. Jenkins said today he wants to be paid like a top safety in the game. So a contract adjustment for a year or two won't be enough. Trade him and move on.

As far as Jeffrey and Jackson they both will be back but if its my team they would not be.

Comment

If they are $50 million under the cap that is amazing.

I would definitely start extending the young guys.... Goedert, Barnett, Gerry.

As for Jenkins, I just can't see him leaving if you make him a fair offer and I would. The defense was excellent the last third of the season except for the Dolphins game. Really... after the Dallas game and they got healthy they got their act together. I just wouldn't blow a whole in it by letting Jenkins walk.

1.Mills - keep
          2. Darby - no thanks
          3. McCloud - keep
          4. Kamu - keep... actually Kamu is pretty underrated
          5. Jernigan - keep... 1000% keep. I'd offer him a 3 year $13 million deal or something to keep him. He is a GREAT backup and insurance for Malik Jackson and Cox and he is still relatively young. He is just 27 years old.
          6. Sudfeld - keep if you can
          7. McCown
          8. Ridgeway - don't care
          9. Curry - keep if you can. hometown deal likely coming here. He loves Philly and has made his money. I'd offer him a 2 year $4 million and see if he will stay
          10. Peters - man I don't know what to do here. The issue is if you keep him he is going to think he is a starter. And he ain't gonna come cheap. You are talking at least $10 million. He is a mercenary too. He will go to whomever pays him the most. I think you gotta let him go.
          11. Vatai - I'd love to keep him because he is such a great backup and versatile. But I think this is a guy that when he gets to free agency you are going to be shocked at what he gets. My guess is we will tendered at a second round level maybe even first round. I think a team like Miami or Indy will make him an offer that will surprise you. I could see him getting a 4 year $28-$32 million deal to be somebody's RT.
          12. AghgoDrop - no way... no how. i've seen enough. let this be Greg Ward
          13. Rodgers - don't care
          14. Sproles - lock up Boston Scott for a few years
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I'm happy to keep the majority of the team intact. I would like as few new/moving pieces for the first time in a while. I would like to see us hitting on all cylinders from the get go. Maybe play for homefield in the playoffs.
            Peters just put it out there that he wants to keep playing. I would not be opposed to Dillard getting some more time with Stoutland. The rest of the starting line is fine. Dillard,Opeta, Herbig, Big V and Pryor are a quality group. Don't know what it would take to re do Big V, but with Mailata in the wings, if he doesn't come cheap, fuck it.
            I am of the opinion that we roll with Jackson, Jeffrey, JJAW and the WAWA boys at WR and if we can upgrade, fine. If not, drive on. I would like to see what Jackson brings in a full season. Everyone benefits from a full season with him in the lineup.
            I want Ertz AND Goedert in the lineup, that much talent in the middle of the field is tough for any defense to cover . Whatever else they carry at TE is fine.
            Scott and Sanders and the quickness they bring combined with all the guys listed above make this offense seriously dangerous. That WR and TE corp spreading things out also make me want a slashing plow horse like Howard back too. We could easily have all our bases covered and it could mean exciting times.
            Wentz and Sudfeld and another guy in the McCown mode if not McCown himself gives us a good QB corp.
            Graham, Sweat, Barnett, Curry, Miller and a healthy Ostman are good enough moving forward.
            Would like to see Jernigan re signed, Cox, the return of Jackson and whatever they can get on the cheap are fine.
            Let Bradham walk, Gerry, Edwards,Singleton and Riley are fine. Add in FA or draft
            Maddox and Jenkins are all I certainly keep, the rest could be blown up and start fresh, new guys brought in. Not against keeping LeBlanc, the guy played big the little we had him this year.
            Lavato, Johnson and Elliott are keepers. No problems there.
            Sign Doug long term, love the guy. Give Dice an expanded roll, I fear we lose him if we don't. Would love to see Schwartz with a complete defense, I keep him.
            Unless we can sign a total game changer, I think we should only consider complementary pieces in FA. Draft BPA and hit on more of the picks.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Glad you have come around on getting rid of Jeffrey. Been on my radar as the best move for a long time.
              Agree on Peters but would bring back Curry as your last DL on a very team friendly contract. I would also bring Desean back if things look good with him. I hope Sudfeld still wants to be an Eagle next year. I am afraid he may be tired of being inactive. I also hope McCown stays-- as maybe a QB coach but not as a backup.
              I'm not trading Ertz unless someone offers up a "Herschel walker". He and Goedert make a great one two punch and you never know when one will get a lacerated kidney. Goedert is cheap so the money is okay.
              Tough to bring 10 rookies along. I want young guys but I want quality. Maybe use a pick or two to help move up.
              McLeod, KGH, and Big V are okay to bring back but I wouldn't break the bank
              Absolutely I let Darby go. I have had some change of heart about Jones. Wanted nothing to do with him but he made a play or two toward the end of the year. I bring him to camp if I can't trade him.
              There is a lot to do this off season. Probably need to do a position by position sometime in the near future
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Inky discusses:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagl...-20200106.html

Comment

I think we all have to remember the tough times we went through this season and mostly against better teams. I will say that it took a huge effort by Wentz and the Wawa boys to get us into the playoffs. However, the thoughts we had mid way through this season should not be lost. This roster still needs a refreshing. That means letting go of guys like Curry and letting younger players like Miller get their shot. Don't care what the cost is Vinny Curry is should not be back. Don't care what the cost is Jason Peters shouldn't be back.

Malcolm Jenkins to me should not be priority at safety based on his age. We all saw throughout the year a downturn in his game. Paying a player for past performance is bad practice. If he truly wants 14 million year see ya. I don't care about leadership, we have other players on this team that can step up. We need play makers in the secondary

Comment

Taz I am just going to disagree about Curry and Jenkins. Curry is a solid backup. If you give him 20-25 snaps a game he really provides a lot of value. Plus, in the scheme he can slide inside and play with leverage like Brandon Graham. The only way you move on from Curry is if you think 2 of the group of Sweat, Miller, Avery, and Hall can do what Curry can do and frankly I don't think they can. Because you know the starters are Barnett and Graham.

As for Jenkins, he wants to stay I'm sure but he also knows he is going into the final year of a contract at age 32. This is when you have to trade off that goodwill you have built with him and his agent. Let him go out and talk to another team and set his value and then you can decide if you want to keep him. No team is going to pay a 32 year old safety $14 million a year. If they do then yes you have to let him go. I think he is likely going to get a 3 year $24 million dollar deal with $5-6 million to sign and I'd do that deal.

Comment

Andrewaters, If we can get Jenkins back at the numbers you say then it makes sense, but listening to what Jenkins said and the fact that he has not resigned yet, I think there is a much better chance he is gone than back. No way they give him 3yrs 45 million with 20-30 million in guarantees. If they can get him back with say extending him two years so its 3yrs at 8 mill a year with the equivalent of one of those years being guaranteed then do it.

Also Hall is not in the equation he tore his ACL at the earliest he is back mid season.

I think we are just splitting hairs on Curry, if they bring him back at the Vet minimum with a chance to make the team and beats out one of the young guys then so be it. But for me I am not even paying him 3 million a year. They have to get better at the DE position, Barnett, Graham and Sweat are not going anywhere. Given the fact they gave up a 4th round pick for Avery they have to get him in the rotation next year. It comes down to Curry or Miller/draft pick as the 5th guy, I always prefer the young guy who can get better.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                        I disagree on both Desean and AJ. I think they will both be back. You are paying them too much. You have to get at least one more season out of teach of them. I will say I would NEVER have signed Desean to begin with. He is NOT an injury prone guy but he is a frequently a headache. I get it... he was a changed man he said... but yet he chose not to have surgery after the initial injury and basically played 1 game out of 15.

They do need to add a WR either via the draft or free agency. I'd like to see them target Robby Anderson of the Jets and target a WR in the first or second round depending on who is available. You can't reach but in a WR heavy draft they should be able to get a kid like Tee Higgins in the first round.

Also, I disagree on the Jenkins logic. I'd also bring back Mills. I'm ok with letting Darby go. I've seen enough to know he isn't physical enough nor is he good enough in trail technique or in tracking the ball. He just gets beat.

Jenkins is a free agent after this year. He wants some security. I'd give it to him. This is almost exactly like the Brian Dawkins moment. Jenkins is getting about $8 million this year. I'd offer him $7-8 million to sign and extend the deal by 2 years. This doesn't change his cap number that much and it does carry risk because he will be 32 next year but the guy is just a mutant. I think it is worth the risk.

Right now they are projected to be $33 million under the cap.

I'd resign Jernigan if the money is right... 3 years and $14 million maybe. I'd also offer McLeod some security and I'd extend Barnett and Goedert early just so you can get that salary on the books because let's face it you are going to keep those guys long term and you need to get Goedert locked up especially before he starts asking for Ertz money...he might already be there actually.

I'd also keep Bradham, resign Kamu and extend Gerry. Gerry is a very solid NFL player and has managed to stay healthy.

I'd also keep Curry if you could. That guy will give you a hometown deal too BTW. He loves it here.

I'd also sign LeBlanc to a better deal that keeps him here for 3 years or so. That kid can cover. He got beat one time yesterday on an unbelievable catch but Lockett.

Jones is still on his rookie deal. I actually think you get one more year of control with him because he spent his first year on IR although I'd have to check on that. I am no where near wanting to commit to either him or Rasul but I am also not ready to give up on either one of them. I'd spend the entire offseason trying to convince Rasul that he is a safety.

I don't think I'd trade Ertz. I see your logic but I just wouldn't.

And I am just going to disagree with you on the coaching front. I would retain all of them. I don't get the hate for Schwartz. That defense was a top 10 defense.

I guess I could see maybe moving on front Corey Undlin the secondary coach but look at Maddox, Mills, and LeBlanc. I would also back the brinks truck up and make sure Stoutland never leaves. Look what he has done with Big V and Pryor. Now imagine in 3 years that Jordan Mialita is ready to be either your RG or RT of the future because he was coached up for 5 years.

I think finding the center of the future is another key piece to all of this. Kelce is underpaid and might retire this year. Either way, Seamaulo has proven to me he is a starting LG in this league. Don't move him. Just draft somebody that can play center when Kelce is gone.

In the draft this team needs:

1. WR - I'd be OK with getting this via trade or signing also. I'd kick the tires on OBJ actually believe it or not. And I'd settle for Robby Anderson.
                        2. Defensive playmaker... either a sideline to sideline LB or a big SS. I would actually have ZERO issue if the Eagles used some draft capital to move up and get the Simmons kid from Clemson in the first round. They need a guy that can stay on the field with size.
                        3. RB - Yeah yeah I know we have Sanders and Scott but they need a big move the pile back to compliment those guys.
                        4. - Interior OL/Center
                        5. DE
                        Nice job AW. The only suggestion that I have is to maybe try and see if Peters can handle guard. Every other move that you made was spot on IMO.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

You know the more I think about it the more I think I'd tell Jenkins to hit the road and then do everything in my power to move up and draft the Simmons kid from Clemson. I know this may sound crazy but that kid is a FREAK. He is 6-5, 230 pounds and can run like the wind. He can't necessarily cover the slot like Jenkins but he can definitely be a guy that can blitz, stop the run, and cover the middle in the zone scheme. And let's face it... Maddox is on the field almost the entire game now and does a pretty good job covering the slot.

If I were Howie I'd be angling right now to get up in the top 10 somehow so I can draft Simmons. I know that hamstrings us on getting a WR but if you dump the Jenkins salary now you honestly have money to trade for OBJ who is a difference maker at WR and honestly no more of a diva then any of these other elite WRs. I'd trade this year's one and next year's to move up for Simmons and then tender Big V at a number high enough to make it difficult for a team to sign him and then trade him and Jenkins to Cleveland with your second round pick for OBJ. 2 playmakers and OBJ is only 27 plus you don't have to pay OBJ a signing bonus. You could also just sign Robby Anderson.

But the more I think about it and realize the kind of money Jenkins thinks he is going to get I think I'm out. If you could keep him for $9 million per year for 3 years I'd be OK with it but no way would I give him more than that. And that $9 million includes the signing bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            Nice job AW. The only suggestion that I have is to maybe try and see if Peters can handle guard. Every other move that you made was spot on IMO.
                            At 37, If he isn't better than Seumalo, who I think is getting to the next level in ability, I don't even consider moving Peters. I don't see JP taking much of a pay cut, so at that age I don't see paying big money for a G who won't be around much longer. Herbig and Pryor are the future there. Should Kelce decide to walk after a Probowl season, Seumalo bumps to C and maybe you consider JP inside for a season. But I really want to see the kids and spend that money on a LB or DB
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

The guy everyone is forgetting about is LeBlanc. That defensive backfield got a hell of a lot better when he came back. He's a guy that I would like to lock up.
                              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                              X