• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had To Share

this is kinda cool

The legend of Bryan Braman’s pre-Super Bowl LII speech grows
    By Dave Zangaro January 31, 2020 5:40 PM

The Eagles had plenty of leaders on their Super Bowl team back in 2017 but none of them gave the pregame speech in the locker room before Super Bowl LII.

Bryan Braman did.

On The Ryen Russillo podcast earlier this week, former defensive end Chris Long said that he was normally the player to speak to the team in the locker room but on Super Bowl Sunday, Braman, the long-haired special teams maniac, got going.

“I didn’t give it before the Super Bowl,” Long said. “Because we had a guy named Bryan Braman, special teams guy, looks like he’s in a biker gang, long hair, I don’t think he was covered in tattoos.

“Bryan Braman was an absolute psychopath and he was like our cameo speech guy. And sometimes he would just, real impromptu, start screaming and looking like a fucking hedgehog, knocking shit over in the locker room, eyes bulging out of his head. And, of course, he did look like a Sons of Anarchy dude so you were like, yeah, I’m listening. But Braman got going Super Bowl Sunday and I was like, ‘Yeah, you got it, bro.’”

There’s something great about Long mostly calling Braman by his full name.

And let me say, I covered Braman in Houston and in Philadelphia and he’s definitely one of those mystical type of guys. Really soft-spoken in person but an absolute crazy person on the football field, with a look to match. Anyone who has been around Braman or remembers his “kill, maim, destroy” comment from his introductory press conference in Philly won’t find this much of a stretch.

When pushed about the content of the speech, Long said he couldn’t give too many details.

“Let me just say it was violent,” he said through laughter.

When Long had Torrey Smith on his Green Light podcast released Friday, he was asking Smith about the Super Bowl he won with the Ravens and about who gave the pregame speech. It was, of course, Ray Lewis. Then Long couldn’t help himself.

Long: Who gave a better pregame speech: Bryan Braman or Ray Lewis?

Smith: The amount of spit that’s being thrown around out there, man. I’m gonna roll with Ray Lewis. Braman is the craziest thing. … The world needs to understand the type of rage that can happen in football.

Long: I tried to explain to somebody in an interview the other day … because we were talking about who gives pregame speeches. Malcolm would usually talk on the field and I would do it in the locker room a lot of times. But if Braman started yelling, everybody just got the f— out of the way. And most people have no idea who Bryan Braman is but if you played with Bryan Braman, you know exactly who Bryan Braman is. And then they asked me the contents of that speech. Do you remember the contents of that speech?

Smith: I don’t know. I just know it was about blood and …

Long: … murder and like …

Smith: 300 in football.

Sounds about right. And based on a short clip of the clip posted by Mychal Kendricks the day after the 41-33 win in the Super Bowl, they’re both correct.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Great story, never heard that one. It is funny, everyone wants to try to put certain people into the leadership box but reality is leadership has to have some natural talent. Very often you have no idea who the leaders are. I never thought McNabb was, or should have been cast as, a leader.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      Great story, never heard that one. It is funny, everyone wants to try to put certain people into the leadership box but reality is leadership has to have some natural talent. Very often you have no idea who the leaders are. I never thought McNabb was, or should have been cast as, a leader.
      just my opinion, but if your QB is not a leader, you ain't going no where
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        just my opinion, but if your QB is not a leader, you ain't going no where
        I certainly agree mm but I also think that QBs lead in different ways. Above all I'd say that the team has to respect and have confidence with the guy in charge of the huddle. I think that all of the crap that Wentz takes for being alouf at times describes every great QB. Your QB is your coach on the field, not necessarily your buddy. In fact I think that Carson is much more involved with his teammates than he needs to be. He doesn't need to listen to who's not getting the ball or spreading it around for that matter. He's the boss, not their buddy. And when Owens pouted for years over McNabb telling him to "shut up" because he wouldn't stop bitching in the huddle about not getting the ball enough really describes his downfall as a player and teammate. He never respected anybody. McNabb always clowning around trying to be "the guy" in the locker room really prevented him from being the leader of the team that he thought he was.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is being a leader can be earned but usually you are born with those qualities.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Different kinds of leadership. Being in charge doesn't mean you are a leader. Being in charge gets things done but a leader gets people to do their very best in getting things done. A real leader gets people to do things to their full potential
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            Different kinds of leadership. Being in charge doesn't mean you are a leader. Being in charge gets things done but a leader gets people to do their very best in getting things done. A real leader gets people to do things to their full potential
            JMO, but McNabb was in charge and had a ton of talent which he mustered up on many occasions , but I don't consider him a leader of men.

Comment

Working...
            X