• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birds Hire Help For Doug

An old friend returns

Eagles hire Marty Mornhinweg as offensive consultant
    By Dave Zangaro March 05, 2020 3:32 PM
    The Eagles brought back a familiar face on Thursday, hiring former offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg as an offensive consultant.

Mornhinweg, 57, will serve under head coach Doug Pederson.

At the end of the season, Pederson was asked about bringing on a coach in some sort of consultant role and didn’t rule it out.

“Everything is obviously on the table,” Pederson said on Jan. 8. “I'm not opposed to doing something like that. I've actually thought, even in my first year as a rookie head coach, to maybe bring in someone that has obviously just a different perspective, different eyes, I guess, not coaching a position or whatever. Those are things that I continue to look at.”

Always a solid offensive mind, Mornhinweg was the Eagles’ offensive coach from 2006-12 and was the OC when Pederson began his NFL coaching carer in 2009 and was there when Pederson was promoted to quarterbacks coach in 2011. So these two men have worked closely together before.

Heck, Mornhinweg was on the Green Bay coaching staff when Pederson was there as a backup quarterback in the 90s. Mornhinweg was once Pederson’s quarterbacks coach.

Mornhinweg last worked under John Harbaugh in Baltimore where he was offensive coordinator from 2016-18 and quarterbacks coach for the two years before that.

While the Eagles have brought in a couple coaches this offseason with different offensive philosophies, Mornhinweg has a long history with Pederson and Andy Reid. Mornhinweg and Reid were both together on a coaching staff at UTEP in the late 80s, with Missouri in the early 90s and then were again together with the Packers in the mid 90s.

Mornhinweg joined Reid in Philadelphia in 2003 and became the assistant head coach and eventually offensive coordinator. After Reid was fired in 2012, Mornhinweg was with the Jets and then Ravens.

It’s unclear how much influence Mornhinweg will have with the Eagles’ offense in 2020. The Eagles love to stress that they have a collaborative process, but there are plenty of voices in the room right now.

Doug Pederson: Head coach/playcaller
    Press Taylor: QBs coach/pass-game analyst
    Rich Scangarello: Senior offensive assistant
    Jeff Stoutland: OL coach/run game coordinator
    Duce Staley: RB coach/assistant head coach
    Andrew Breiner: Pass game analyst
    Marty Mornhinweg: Offensive consultant

Ultimately, though, this is Pederson’s offense. He’ll have final say on game plan and play calls. But it does seem he’ll have plenty of voices in his ear. We’ll find out soon enough how much he listens to them.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Noooooooo!
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Eh, a number of coaches are hiring guys as senior consultants or some other made up title. Zimmerman hired Kubiak and Dom Capers and one other I can't think of off hand.
      As long as Doug feels as if, and is actually, firmly in control I have no problems with it. No problem having various opinions come out as long as everyone is on board with the final say. And I think Wentz can use the voice of someone who has been around for awhile in his ear.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Well that fucking good feeling about DJ disappeared in less than a fucking hour! SHIT!!
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Well that fucking good feeling about DJ disappeared in less than a fucking hour! SHIT!!

Comment

He had some good play designs , his offense was ...eh...predictable , but he is just another voice in the thought process now. Not a big deal. He may be working with the younger guys and he has been a QB coach.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Here ya go

Eagles hire Marty Mornhinweg as senior offensive consultant
              poses for a portrait at the NovaCare Complex on April 25, 2019 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Drew Hallowell/Philadelphia Eagles)
              Chris McPherson
              The Eagles hired Marty Mornhinweg to serve as a senior offensive consultant on Thursday afternoon.

When Doug Pederson was putting together his coaching staff, he always envisioned having someone who could focus on the big picture and be a fresh set of eyes when it comes to the offensive scheme. Pederson wanted to assemble his position coaches and assistants first, which is why Mornhinweg wasn't initially brought on last month when the other changes were announced. Pederson eyed Mornhinweg as the "final piece" to bring the staff together and made it official on Thursday.

Mornhinweg brings extensive experience at every level from quality control through head coaching. He has a wealth of knowledge to be applied to the offensive side of the ball. Pederson was a quarterback in Green Bay when Mornhinweg was the quarterbacks coach in 1996. The two coached together in Philadelphia from 2009-12.

"He gets what we're doing. He gets my vision. He understands my philosophy," Pederson said on Thursday. "He understands what my goal is and what my vision is for this offense."

Without a specific position group to focus on, Mornhinweg will also be able to help the other assistant coaches on the offensive side. His experience as a coordinator and position coach could be valuable to a number of the coaches on the staff. Press Taylor was recently promoted to be the team's passing game coordinator in addition to his post as quarterbacks coach. The team also added Aaron Moorehead as the wide receivers coach and Andrew Breiner as a passing game analyst. Pederson cited Mornhinweg's demeanor, makeup, philosophy, and track record for the key reasons for bringing him onto the staff.

Mornhinweg returns to Philadelphia where he started as a senior assistant in 2003 and later spent seven seasons as the team's assistant head coach/offensive coordinator. During his 10-year tenure with the Eagles, Mornhinweg was a key component of six top-10 scoring offenses, two of the top five scoring offenses in team history, and three of the top five Eagles offenses in terms of yards gained. From 2008-11, the Eagles ranked in the top eight in scoring each of those four seasons. In 2010, quarterback Michael Vick earned NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors as the Eagles ranked second in the league in yards and third in points. Football Outsiders rated the Eagles as the top rushing offense and the third-best overall offense that year.

During Mornhinweg's first tenure in Philadelphia, the Eagles made one Super Bowl appearance, reached the NFC Championship Game twice, won four division titles, and earned six playoff appearances.

Most recently, Mornhinweg served as the offensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens from 2016-18. In his final season, Mornhinweg overhauled the offense midseason to transition from veteran pocket passer Joe Flacco to rookie dual-threat Lamar Jackson. The first-round pick went 6-1 as a starter as the Ravens rallied to win the AFC North. Despite the change, Baltimore finished ninth in yards gained.

"I think from that standpoint it helps from an ideas perspective – how they used Lamar, what they were doing with their tight ends. The run game is a little different and unique than what ours is," Pederson said. "From that standpoint, having that information and knowing that structure can enhance what we're doing by bringing an idea or two from that system."

Comment

I'm hoping he can help with the screen game. It hasn't been as good lately under Doug.
                Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                  I'm hoping he can help with the screen game. It hasn't been as good lately under Doug.
                  spread the field and the backs go wild on screens

Comment

I'll tell you what this means. MM will be screaming in Doug's ear to throw every friekin play. Even Andy fired the son of a bitch!!! What happened after he left? KC's offense took off like a rocket because he was wasting all of that speed in the backfield under shithead. I feel miserable over this.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Eh, this is about as uninspiring a move as you could make by the Eagle- especially considering the division became a hell of a lot more difficult in one off-season.

Comment

Working...
                      X