• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No strike, 17 game season

NFL players approve labor deal, including 17-game season
    Mar
    3/15/2020 9:41:34 AM
    |More
    NFL players have approved a new labor agreement with the league that features a 17-game regular season, higher salaries, increased roster sizes and larger pensions for current and former players, Barry Wilner of the Associated Press reports.

The deal, which runs through the 2030 season, was accepted by the 32 team owners last month. The NFL Players Association's membership spent the last week voting on the 439-page document after its executive board narrowly rejected it by a 6-5 vote, and the player representatives voted 17-14 in favor, with one abstention.

Clearly, there was some strong player opposition to this collective bargaining agreement, though. Many stars, including Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, J.J. Watt and Todd Gurley, spoke out against it. The total vote among the nearly 2,500 union members who participated was 1019-959.

Ratification required a simple majority.

The 2020 NFL business season begins March 18 with free agency and trades. A 17-game schedule won't happen before the 2021 season. The mechanics for an uneven number of games — neutral sites or which teams get nine home games — will be worked out in the interim.

Extending the season was a nonissue with the players in 2011, when the current 10-year deal was finalized after a 4 1/2 month lockout. But the gains they make in the new agreement in sharing “a bigger portion of the growing pie,” according to outgoing NFLPA President Eric Winston, swayed the vote this time.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

It also adds one more playoff team. I posted in another thread........

I am not a fan of increasing playoff teams. I would much rather see additional weeks added to the season (although I think any added time is tough on players). You add a playoff team or game and that impacts one or two teams playing an added game. You add a week to the season and every fan gets to watch their team another time. Personally, they could do away with one preseason game and the wild card weekend in order to give me two more weeks of Philadelphia Eagle football.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      It also adds one more playoff team. I posted in another thread........

I am not a fan of increasing playoff teams. I would much rather see additional weeks added to the season (although I think any added time is tough on players). You add a playoff team or game and that impacts one or two teams playing an added game. You add a week to the season and every fan gets to watch their team another time. Personally, they could do away with one preseason game and the wild card weekend in order to give me two more weeks of Philadelphia Eagle football.
      I think that the players should have insisted on 2 byes if they are going to do this. I think they should have asked for it years ago anyway.

Comment

They had two bye weeks before, didn't they? It would have made even more sense with 17 games IMO.

Comment

Wonder if they will schedule 8 home, 8 away and 1 international for everyone.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

What I like about the new CBA is it ups the game day roster to 48, the practice squad to 12 and you can freely move players back and forth from the practice squad to the roster without having to expose the player to waivers. So in the case of the WR issues we had last year we didn't have to keep cutting players or putting players who could have come back later in the year on IR.
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Taz you are spot on. I am against the extra game. We can't get through the season as it is. But if you are going to add a game you better expand the rosters.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I don't fully understand this new PS. Does this mean that you can't pluck a player from another team's PS? It sounds like teams just have 65 team rosters now?

Comment

Still don't understand why they could have 53 active players on Game Day when you have 53 players

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                    Still don't understand why they could have 53 active players on Game Day when you have 53 players
                    Definite head scratcher.

Comment

Working...
                    X