X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So we traded for a WR

Eagles trade next to nothing to land speedy WR Marquise Goodwin
    By Dave Zangaro April 25, 2020 3:10 PM
    Continuing their offseason mission to find speed, the Eagles have pulled off a trade for San Francisco receiver Marquise Goodwin, NBC Sports Philadelphia has confirmed.

The price for Goodwin was extremely modest. The Eagles and 49ers flipped sixth-round picks, with the Eagles sending 191 and getting back 210 to get Goodwin.

That’s a low-risk, high-reward type of trade for a guy with proven speed but also significant injury concerns. But, hey, it’s worth a shot.

Goodwin has a base salary of $3.95 million in 2020 but we’ll see if this trade comes with a salary reduction. And he’s not guaranteed to make the team.

Goodwin is 29 now but there’s no denying his speed. Before the 2013 draft, Goodwin ran an incredible 4.27 time in the 40-yard dash and was a member of the 2012 US Olympic team as a long-jumper. The Bills took him in the third round of the 2013 draft out of Texas.

The Eagles have prioritized speed all offseason. In addition to adding Goodwin on Saturday, they drafted WR Jalen Reagor in the first round and WR John Hightower in the sixth. All three are burners.

Goodwin’s best season came in 2017 with the 49ers when he caught 56 passes for 962 yards (17.2) and 2 touchdowns. But in the last two seasons, Goodwin has missed significant time with injuries. He played in 11 games in 2018 and just 9 in 2019 before he landed on IR thanks a chronic knee injury.

In nine games in 2019, Goodwin caught just 12 passes for 186 yards and a touchdown. In 2018, he caught 23 passes for 395 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Goodwin will turn 30 during the 2020 season but maybe he still has some speed left and can stay healthy. It’s worth a shot, especially for a 19-spot slide in the sixth round.

Subscribe and rate the Eagle Eye podcast:
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I like this move. It hedges in case Reagor takes time to develop.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

if he stays on the field and off IR
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I like it but I really wish they would get a guy with size and speed. Goodwin is another short guy.... 5’-9”. (Full disclosure, I say short guy but at 5’-6” I would LOVE to be 5’-9”!!!)
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

If you are on the eagles and play WR, you are on notice. Wow

Comment

Love this move--- speed speed speed!! And more depth, anybody remember just how bare the cupboard got last year?

Comment

Goodwin is due a 4 million salary, and will be free to cut. Seems highly doubtful he makes the roster, but could provide insurance if injuries happen or other guys don't seem to be ready.

Comment

I never decide who will or will not make a roster. I learned that from many many years of having to beat my head against a wall figuring it out!

Comment

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/m...edy-safety-net

....Of all the speed the Eagles have assembled, however, the fastest of them all is former Olympic long jumper Marquise Goodwin.

“Marquise is one of the fastest men in the world," said Roseman. "And I mean that when I say that. He's one of the fastest men in the world. He is so fast.”

The trade pickup, in which the Eagles dropped back 20 spots in the sixth round, ultimately getting potential swing tackle option Prince Tega Wanogho, might be the least talked about when it comes to the new additions outside the numbers, a group which includes Reagor and fellow draft picks John Hightower and Quez Watkins.

Goodwin, 29, is the most likely to contribute right away for two reasons: his prior history with new senior offensive assistant Rich Scangarello and his veteran status in the first virtual offseason.

Goodwin might be crossing the country from San Francisco to Philadelphia but at least he’s not making the leap from college to the professional ranks without a real offseason like Reagor and the Eagles other speedy rookies.
                  Roseman confirmed that the Eagles pursued Goodwin on the recommendation of Scangarello, the closest thing Philadelphia has to a traditional offensive coordinator after rebooting the coaching staff after last season.

Before Scangarello was the OC in Denver for one year he was Kyle Shanahan’s quarterbacks coach with the 49ers where he got to know Goodwin.

“Obviously Rich had the opportunity to be with him, and so he recommended him to (VP of player personnel) Andy (Weidl), coach, and I,” Roseman said.
                  Roseman, along with his former right-hand man Joe Douglas, now the GM with the New York Jets, created something called the “cohabitation matrix” where they would encourage anyone who had ever crossed paths with a potential player to offer their two cents on the subject and in the case of Scangarello with Goodwin, it tipped the scales.

After the trade, Pederson called Goodwin “a veteran player who understands the game,” and noted his importance “until we can get these young guys caught up.”

“In a veteran league, I think moving forward it does bide time for our young players to catch up,” said the coach.
                  Quarterback Carson Wentz, meanwhile, brought up Goodwin unprompted when talking with reporters during a video conference call earlier this week.

“I’m extremely excited, not just with adding Jalen in the first round - adding his speed - but also going out and getting Marquise,” said Wentz. “I’ve been watching him on tape for years, through crossover tape in the league, and I’m extremely impressed with who he is as a player, and the speed and dynamic that he brings as well.”

The knuckleball to all of this is health. Goodwin is not the most durable option and finished last season on injured reserve with knee and foot issues. Before that, he had slipped down the Niners depth chart after struggling with drops.
                  And that's why Roseman carpet-bombed things. If Reagor and Goodwin can't contribute maybe Hightower and Watkins can....

Comment

Sure they didn't trade for a big name but they went with quantity. They can't strike out on every one of these, can they?

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                      Sure they didn't trade for a big name but they went with quantity. They can't strike out on every one of these, can they?
                      Gosh I hope not!

Comment

It's the Eagles----------------------- Of course they can!!!

All I ever seem to do anymore is just pray for health!

Comment

Reagor had better produce. I can't see him being a complete bust at least (knock on wood).

It sure seems like Howie and Jeff are trying to copy their good buddy Andy in KC. I believe the Chiefs were the fastest team in the NFL last year and it kind of worked out for them

I am a little worried that every WR we have picked up by trade and draft has at least some concerns about their hands.

Comment

I sure hope that we have 4 preseason games this year because among other players we FOURTEEN wrs that we need to sort through!! Drafting speed is fine but if they can't catch BFD. I really hope that they don't get carried away with this speed thing and cut the reliable Ward.
                            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              I sure hope that we have 4 preseason games this year because among other players we FOURTEEN wrs that we need to sort through!! Drafting speed is fine but if they can't catch BFD. I really hope that they don't get carried away with this speed thing and cut the reliable Ward.
                              All sounds good big guy--- Hell, you can have 6 or 8 FPEG's (Fake Phony Exhibition games) but those guys aren't gonna be catches passes from Wentz-- he better only see like 2 Qtrs or so in Fake Phony Exhibition game season.

Comment

Working...
                              X