A season with no fans costs teams about 80-100 $million per season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A season with no fans costs teams about 80-100 $million per season

What would this due to player's 2021 contract???

NFL's 2021 salary cap could take major hit if games are played without fans
    May
    5/6/2020 10:08:15 AM
    |More
    The COVID-19 pandemic hasn't yet directly affected the NFL. Free agents signed contracts beginning in March. The 2020 NFL Draft went on as scheduled but as a virtual experience to prevent a large gathering of people. On Thursday, the league will release a full 17-week schedule set to begin in September.

Things could drastically change for the NFL if fans are unable to attend league events this year, Zac Wassink of Yardbarker reports.

On Monday, Albert Breer of MMQB wrote NFL clubs could lose up to $100 million apiece in local revenue if spectators are not allowed to attend games because of the virus outbreak. The next day, ESPN's Adam Schefter explained closed-door games could drastically alter the league's salary cap during an appearance on the "MySportsUpdate" podcast:

NFL Update
    @MySportsUpdate
    Something to monitor: The salary cap in 2021 could potentially take a massive hit due to COVID-19. "The various estimates I've gotten from executives to owners is that the cap could be down anywhere $30M to $80M in 2021" — @AdamSchefter

Full episode 👉 http://apple.co/2yuEzm0

3:16 PM - May 5, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    316 people are talking about this
    Back on March 15, the NFL announced the salary cap for 2020 increased from $188.2 million per club for 2019 to $198.2 million.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Salary cap may be affected but salaries may not. The NFL and the NFLPA could agree to use a different number. An 80 million dollar drop in the cap would cause huge issues for the Sport. Consider the Eagles couldn't even get under that cap as they are currently 40 mill over the projected 2021 number. How do you shave 120 million and what does that do to player salaries. There would be a huge shift way downward in player salaries. My guess is neither the NFL nor the NFLPA wants that
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      Salary cap may be affected but salaries may not. The NFL and the NFLPA could agree to use a different number. An 80 million dollar drop in the cap would cause huge issues for the Sport. Consider the Eagles couldn't even get under that cap as they are currently 40 mill over the projected 2021 number. How do you shave 120 million and what does that do to player salaries. There would be a huge shift way downward in player salaries. My guess is neither the NFL nor the NFLPA wants that
      Oh I agree with you taz, no doubt. The problem is what's the number going to be and what will bring the 2 sides together? During negotiations there are all kinds of benefits on the table to get ironed out, but you and I know for the most part it's always about the money (note MD) and that's the problem that we have here.

Comment

As I stated in another thread: I failed to consider the impact of the pandemic on league revenue/salary cap. This has the potential to really complicate things for the league and players. With the potential for cap reduction, teams may be forced to let go of some higher salaried players who would normally be retained in normal times. This makes me wonder if this factor was a consideration in the Andy Dalton deal, as well as the Jalen Hurts selection.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
          As I stated in another thread: I failed to consider the impact of the pandemic on league revenue/salary cap. This has the potential to really complicate things for the league and players. With the potential for cap reduction, teams may be forced to let go of some higher salaried players who would normally be retained in normal times. This makes me wonder if this factor was a consideration in the Andy Dalton deal, as well as the Jalen Hurts selection.
          If they indeed reduce the cap I'm sure that it will eventually be worked out but along the way I think it will be ugly and drawn out.

Comment

Working...
          X