Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas expected to make roster?

Eagles
    Eagles’ Rasul Douglas restructures contract, source says | What it could mean for his chances of making roster
    Updated 1:37 PM; Today 1:23 PM

Philadelphia Eagles CB Rasul Douglas agreed to a contract restructure, a person with knowledge of the situation told NJ
    By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Rasul Douglas might have increased his chances of making the Eagles’ regular-season roster with an adjustment to his contract.

The Eagles and Douglas recently reached an agreement on a contract restructure, a person with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media. However, the exact details of the restructure have not been confirmed.

Introducing Eagles Extra: Sign up for a free trial now. Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

The East Orange native was set to make $2.133 million on the final year of his rookie contract, per Over The Cap. His cap number was set to be $2.3 million due to a prorated bonus. The restructuring of his contract likely lowered his cap number and/or his salary to make it more manageable under the Eagles’ current cap situation.

Douglas will need to compete for his job this offseason after three years of inconsistent play. The former third-round pick started six games this past season -- including the Week 17 win over the Giants -- but was benched for the Eagles’ wild-card round playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks in January.

Buy Eagles' Draft gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop

The Eagles traded third- and fifth-round picks to the Detroit Lions to acquire Pro Bowl cornerback Darius Slay in March. The team also brought in veteran nickel corner Nickell Robey-Coleman in free agency. Along with those two moves, the Eagles let former starting cornerback Ronald Darby walk on the open market.

The Eagles plan to move Darby’s former partner at cornerback, Jalen Mills, to strong safety this season, leaving the No. 2 cornerback job open for competition. The presumed battle for that job will be between Douglas, Avonte Maddox and Sidney Jones. Maddox is considered the favorite in the competition.

Douglas, at least prior to the draft, was considered an underdog in the offseason battle. He was linked to trade rumors and wasn’t given a confidence boost from general manager Howie Roseman during a conference call with media during free agency.

“Rasul has a body of work that’s kind of been put out there,” Roseman said. “So for him, he’s just got to keep continuing to work on it and competing.”

On the other hand, Jones, Douglas’ 2017 draft classmate, was given a patient outlook by Roseman.

Jones "really has to have the opportunity to have an offseason where instead of rehabbing he’s really working on his body and coming into camp (healthy) because we do feel like this is a guy that when we’ve seen him healthy he does have a skill set,” Roseman said. “He’s got to go prove it, this is now really his third year, when we look at it, of playing, because of that first year (of rehab), so it’s time for him to go prove it.”

Maddox, Jones and Douglas all benefited from the Eagles’ draft, as the team failed to select a cornerback prospect throughout the three-day event. Now, it seems the trio will duke it out this offseason for the job opposite Slay. Robey-Coleman, Cre’Von LeBlanc and Trevor Williams are expected to battle for the starting nickel corner job.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Man I still believe that he should be tried at safety.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
      How many CBs have we said that about LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
        It seems to me that they really want one of the safeties to play that hybrid role that Jenkins played. They moved Mills into that spot. I think they like the way he plays, and he can make plays there. But, you would think that Douglas would be a candidate for that spot as well. And, maybe that's why they decided to keep him and work his contract out. He can back up that spot and the CB position as well. The safety position is definitely evolving. They really like those S/CB hybrids that can cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
          It seems to me that they really want one of the safeties to play that hybrid role that Jenkins played. They moved Mills into that spot. I think they like the way he plays, and he can make plays there. But, you would think that Douglas would be a candidate for that spot as well. And, maybe that's why they decided to keep him and work his contract out. He can back up that spot and the CB position as well. The safety position is definitely evolving. They really like those S/CB hybrids that can cover.
          He might be in the mix but I think that one of our few decent hits in the draft is a safety. The Eagles play a ton of 3 safety defense too. I give Schwartz much more credit than others. He mixes a lot of defenses but our guys don't execute it all of the timel. I agree that he should be a safety too. He's a good corner but just not fast enough IMO just like Mills. I just realized that I threw a lot of unorganized thoughts here but you get the gist Ithink LOL.

Comment

he restructuring might also be an effort to make him more appealing in a trade although the article doesn't say anything about what exactly was restructured
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              He might be in the mix but I think that one of our few decent hits in the draft is a safety. The Eagles play a ton of 3 safety defense too. I give Schwartz much more credit than others. He mixes a lot of defenses but our guys don't execute it all of the timel. I agree that he should be a safety too. He's a good corner but just not fast enough IMO just like Mills. I just realized that I threw a lot of unorganized thoughts here but you get the gist Ithink LOL.
              Schwartz is finally looking at decent lineup. He has never had a group like this one. I think Douglas would be at his best ball hawking in the middle of the field. I think he will be doing that elsewhere
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
              X