Football Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Movies

Eagles Question of the Day: What is your favorite football movie?

There are so many to choose from!

By Alexis Chassen@Lovelybuckeye Jun 27, 2020, 9:00am EDT

After months of watching my way through my DVR, Netflix, et al, I’ve seen my fair share of football movies. From the classics, to comedies, and family features, there are SO many options to put in my No. 1 spot.

In terms of Eagles’ fandom, Invincible seems like an easy and obvious choice — it’s great, I love me some Marky Mark, and it reminds me of where my Mom grew up —, but I also love Draft Day and it’s fairly accurate depiction of the chaos and second-guessing that goes down during the NFL Draft.

BUT, my all-time favorite football movie: Little Giants

I watched ‘Little Giants’ for the first time and this rampant corn wastage is alarming
    Of all the reasons to put the 90s classic at the top of my list, perhaps the most prominent was seeing a female football player. And not just any female, but Icebox, the bad ass who wasn’t originally allowed to play with the boys but was clearly better than most of them.

As described by SBNation’s James Dator:

With 37 minutes remaining, we finally get to the big game between the Cowboys and the Little Giants, taking place on the world’s nicest pee-wee football field. The Giants are without Icebox, because Becky has decided to be a cheerleader instead of a player in an effort to make Junior think of her more like a girl.

Icebox, if he doesn’t like you for playing football, he doesn’t deserve you.

The team ends up creaming the Cowboys in the penultimate game of the movie, proving to everybody that a squad filled with players “not good enough” could still have the chemistry and chutzpah to beat the the “favorites”. (Which also describes the 2017 Eagles team that beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Just saying.)

Other reasons that this movie is my favorite:

It takes place in Ohio.
    Could totally relate to a trying to tone down being a tomboy just to catch the attention of a crush.
    Who doesn’t love a good underdog victory?
    Honorable mention: The Replacements — solely for the scene where they sing “I will survive” and do the electric slide in jail.

What’s your favorite football movie?
    Sound off in the comments!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

The one that comes to me right off the bat is the original The Longest Yard. What a classic!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
      The one that comes to me right off the bat is the original The Longest Yard. What a classic!
      "I think I broke his fucking neck"

I do not like the remake at all
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        "I think I broke his fucking neck"

I do not like the remake at all
        Me either. The F bomb wasn't used back then and the theater went nuts! Burt Reynolds was such a hot shit back then.

Comment

Absoultely, The Longest Yard!!
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhpvvobULYA

Comment

Originally posted by FearTheDawk View Post
            Absoultely, The Longest Yard!!
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhpvvobULYA
            Damn Dawk, now I'm going to watch it again. It's been years.

Comment

Brian's Song for me
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                Damn Dawk, now I'm going to watch it again. It's been years.
                And a close second is "The Replacements".
                And here's a link to watch the movie for free, for the 7 people in our hemisphere who havent seen it yet:
                " width="425" height="344">
                " />

Comment

Silver Linings Playbook. True story it was filmed on the street I grew up on. Unfortunately my Dad passed away the week they were filming. We wanted to do a drive by funeral procession past the his house. We called the film crew and they were so nice. They moved around the filming just so we could do it. The neighbors met Bradly Cooper and Robert D. Said they were both nice, the week was such a blur for me though with losing my Dad. Oddly I found comfort in watching the movie because minus the gambling piece Deniro was my Dad to a tee.

I also loved the Replacements, Brians Song, The Orignal Longest Yard and probably my second favorite was Friday Night Lights
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Loved them all and Gowton didn't mention one of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X