X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn, we just lost another one

NFL TRAINING CAMP
    Report: Marquise Goodwin opts out of 2020 NFL season

Eagles lose one of their new speedy wide receivers.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Jul 28, 2020, 1:00pm EDT
    Share this story

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Marquise Goodwin is joining a chorus of NFL players opting out of the 2020 season prior to the league’s August 3 deadline. NFL insider Ian Rapoport has the scoop:

ESPN previously featured Goodwin’s story in a Father’s Day special. It’s understandable why he wants to be cautious.

Here’s what we wrote about Goodwin in our training camp preview series:

The Eagles acquired Goodwin for the very low cost of moving down 20 spots late in the sixth round of the 2020 NFL Draft. Eagles and Goodwin also reportedly agreed on a one-year contract restructure worth $1.35 million in 2020.

Clearly, expectations for Goodwin should be kept low. This is ultimately a guy who’s averaged 31 yards per game over seven seasons. And injuries have caused this 29-year-old to miss 15 games during the past two years.

Goodwin is a few years removed from logging 56 receptions for 962 yards in 2017. It’s not even hyperbole to say the former Olympic athlete is one of the fastest people in the world considering his 4.27 second 40-yard dash speed.

Goodwin could be worth keeping around as insurance for Jackson getting hurt and/or Reagor not being ready to make immediate impact. The coaching staff could feel especially comfortable leaning on his veteran experience due to the irregular offseason.

Goodwin’s contract will now toll to 2021. Meaning: he won’t just be a free agent after this season.

It can’t be said that losing Goodwin is crippling — he wasn’t even a lock to make the 53-man roster — but it obviously would’ve been preferable to have him around for camp. The Eagles are now relying on DeSean Jackson, who turns 34 this year, and three rookie wide receivers to give them good deep threat production. On that note, Goodwin’s decision is good news for Day 3 draft picks John Hightower and Quez Watkins, who are now even more likely to make the team. First-round pick Jalen Reagor’s path to playing time is also less obstructed.

To be determined if more Eagles players will join Goodwin in opting out. The roster is currently at 81 ahead of the Eagles needing to be down to 80 prior to fully reporting for camp.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

There is going to be more and more players dropping out. Any Super Bowl winner this year is going to need an * by their name. That is, if there is even a season.

Comment

I didn't think much of him anyway. Rather have Watkins and Hightower on the roster
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I am OK with this and don't blame him. Apparently he and his wife had 3 miscarriages and now they have a 5 month old at home. Some things are more important than football.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I don’t fault anyone who chooses to be safe instead of sorry right now. There is so much about this damn disease we don’t know yet. What I do know is that two of my neighbors have died from it. These are unrelated people in two different houses who died a couple of months apart. One guy is behind me and three doors down who was a barber and got it in the beginning of the pandemic. The other is directly next door. His family isn’t sure how he got it, but he was in his late 70’s and didn’t last long once he got. Having seen these two families struggle with the aftermath of this thing I am probably more sympathetic to any player opting out than I would have been before. Let’s hope MDFan is right and we have a vaccine by November 1. An effective vaccine is really the only way we will get back to normal in the near future. Until then I expect a bumpy road to recovery that is likely to have several twists along the way.
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Don't fault anyone for opting out if their life circumstances say they should. Not sure if they get any compensation or not; I would think not. Goodwin isn't a great loss but there could be guys that we really need on the field if the season is a go.
            As for a vaccine, I have read, and actually heard talk of on Fox yesterday, of an effort to have one before November. My uninformed guess, and also what I heard from talking heads, is that that is ambitious. Let's hope there is a rapid and safe vaccine and not some made up bull**** drug as we have heard touted in the past. In the meantime let's hope those who think it is made up fake news get the message that this isn't like any other contagious nor noncontagious diseases running around.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

The Pats have had 6 players opt out. Enough that they could sign Clowney! Shit.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I don’t blame Goodwin for opting out. Not at all. I also don’t know his financial situation. $1.35m is alotta scratch for a normal person, enough to consider renting an apartment and being away from your family for 6 months. If his financial security is assured, he probably made the right move. If not, there was probably a way to keep his family safe while protecting its financial security. The story of miscarriages was heart breaking. Very happy he and his wife got a doc who could help. I don’t think this hurts the Eagles very much. Let the youngens try to make an impact. With our salary cap issues next year we will need them to contribute.
                Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

rumor is Bellicheat is tanking for Trevor
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                  X