X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words of wisdom from Jaws.....

October 30, 2006
    By RON JAWORSKI

"The thing that is most disappointing is the Eagles' inability to run the football. We all know that you are going to have days like the Eagles had on Sunday when you play in the Northeast, when you have weather that is not conducive to throwing the football around like you want to do. You can't rely on the passing game alone every week. There has to be a fallback option to a running game, to a power running game.
    "That has been somewhat of an Achilles' heel for the Eagles, to be able to run when they have to run the football. It is something Andy Reid has said he wants to do more of. He said it again on Monday. We will find out in two weeks if he means it.

"I think Andy has to be careful about the volume of this offense. Donovan McNabb understands this offense as much as anyone. He is like a coach on the field. He knows every nuance about the offense. However, there are a lot of players new to this system who may not understand the adjustments that take place play in and play out. I'm talking about the Hank Basketts and the Donté Stallworths who are young in this system who still may not understand all the little things that take place. Even tight end Matt Schobel, who is in his first year in the system, needs to continue to learn.

"Sometimes you have to scale it back and simplify the game plan. Maybe that is something Andy will consider during this bye week. I know he will look at everything and he will be extremely critical of himself.

"On the defensive side, the Eagles need to do something up front. Those defensive tackles have been pushed back into Jeremiah Trotter, which has affected his ability to impact against the run. Everybody knew that with Trent Cole and Darren Howard, the Eagles didn't have the girth on the outside, although I think Cole has played the run very well. When you are being blocked by 330-pound linemen, it wears you down.

"This line needs the rest from this bye week. They have played an awful lot of snaps this year. They need to get their breath.

"It is absolutely salvageable. The Eagles get a week off and have a chance to heal some people. Washington comes to Lincoln Financial Field after the bye week and then Tennessee visits. Those are two winnable football games, and if the Eagles take care of business, they are back to 6-4. Then we'll see what happens. But it is a step-by-step process here. The Eagles have dug themselves a significant hole."
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

The one partof Jaws' piece that I'm not sure I agree with is on simplifying the ofense. I mean, at this point, half way thru the year, should we really need to scale things back?? This is normally when you start ramping things up. Right? I agree that we need to run more, but not necessarily simplify the pass game.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

This quote is infuriating.....

"We need to do a better job there. Started off a little slow with the run game and then I got away from it and I shouldn't have done that. I should have stuck with it," Reid said.

Aaaaargh!!!!!!!!!

and

Duhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

and

DOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Prior to this season I was only partially on-board with the need for a big, strong RB. Now, I believe this is a critical element for next year.

The only good, consistent short-yardage option we have is McNabb on the QB sneak.

A Brandon Jacobs type player could do wonders for this team.

Comment

But part of it is the in-game play calling, as much as some don't want to admit that the playcallingis an issue, or faulty.

When I read the quote above from Reid, which sounds remarkably similar to things I have heard him saying for a couple of years now, I really think he means it. I think he realizes that it is something he needs to do, and he means to do it, but in the heat of battle, he loses his nerve, if you will. He falls back to his crutch, over and over again. He is incapable of committing to running the ball. Sad for such a bright leader to have such a weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
            This quote is infuriating.....

"We need to do a better job there. Started off a little slow with the run game and then I got away from it and I shouldn't have done that. I should have stuck with it," Reid said.

Aaaaargh!!!!!!!!!

and

Duhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

and

DOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny
              Prior to this season I was only partially on-board with the need for a big, strong RB. Now, I believe this is a critical element for next year.

The only good, consistent short-yardage option we have is McNabb on the QB sneak.

A Brandon Jacobs type player could do wonders for this team.
              Again, I concur. I have stated this same thing in a number of recent posts. The need for a "sledgehammer" at RB to me is apparent.

Comment

The one partof Jaws' piece that I'm not sure I agree with is on simplifying the ofense. I mean, at this point, half way thru the year, should we really need to scale things back?? This is normally when you start ramping things up. Right? I agree that we need to run more, but not necessarily simplify the pass game.
                i thought the same thing, especially on third and less than five yards. Some plays seem that take too long to develop. You've got a quarterback with legs, move the pocket, call some draws, quick throws... keep it simple
                Sonny J

Comment

I disagree we have shown an inability to run the ball...I see, when we do run, that we get positive yardage on the edge or up the middle pretty consistently....

I think the issue is more what others have said here for a long time: the lack of emphasis on the run game i.e. the amount of chances the running game gets to impact the game.

I think with Westy, Bucky and Moats we can run the ball and have shown it at times this season, but they need more consistent touches.
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I kind of agree with you VFK. I actually have been impressed as of late with how Westy has turned it up inside rather thatn trying to bounce it out. He's doing BETTER at running inside, but he's never going to be a punishing runner, and we don't have one of those on this roster. I sometimes wish we did.

Comment

Fresh, VFK,

It is those 3rd and 2 situations that scare the crap out of me. I would like to seem the stats, but it seems more often than not that our RB's come up short in these cases. Outside of the short yardage situations, I am satisfied with our backs.

Comment

Fresh, VFK,

It is those 3rd and 2 situations that scare the crap out of me. I would like to seem the stats, but it seems more often than not that our RB's come up short in these cases. Outside of the short yardage situations, I am satisfied with our backs.
                        The thing that scares me about when they try an run in those 3rd and 2 is it almost always seems are offensive line gets zero push in those situations. the backs are almost always getting hit before they make amove in the backfield
                        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Fresh, VFK,

Alot of RB come up short in those situations which is why you see more passing and QB sneaks in those situations IMO...

Our 3rd down conversion rate has been poor these last several weeks, but I remain unconvinced a "big back" would somehow deliver better results....I have seen Bucky, Westy and Moats all make 3rd and short conversions; it is execution of the play call more than needing a 4th RB just for those situations IMO...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by taz
                            Fresh, VFK,

The thing that scares me about when they try an run in those 3rd and 2 is it almost always seems are offensive line gets zero push in those situations. the backs are almost always getting hit before they make amove in the backfield
                            This is what concerns me too recently....the OL has been struggling the last couple of weeks. They are supposedly the biggest OL overall in the NFL, but they seem slightly above average in run blocking IMO...purely subjective view since I have not checked any stats, but they got dominated last week....

-Andy Reid

Comment

I kind of agree with you VFK. I actually have been impressed as of late with how Westy has turned it up inside rather thatn trying to bounce it out. He's doing BETTER at running inside, but he's never going to be a punishing runner, and we don't have one of those on this roster. I sometimes wish we did.
                              He has done it ever since he came here, but does seem to have that number called more often recently which is good IMO...Bucky needs alot more touches; he got 3 last week for 5 yards....1 was for 7 yards, but the other 2 were -2 yards...

A punishing runner could help...not necessarily a "big back" IMO since Tiki, Emmitt, Davis et al. were punishing, but smaller in stature...no I know what you mean; someone you can hand off to 4-5 straight times and just pound the DL until you are able to break one or use play action to beat them via the pass...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X