Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinny is back in the nest

Vinny Curry, Eagles reportedly agree to terms

The NJ native is back for another season in Philly.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Updated Aug 7, 2020, 1:15pm EDT
    25 CommentsShare this storyPhoto by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images
    The Philadelphia Eagles are re-signing veteran defensive end Vinny Curry, according to a report from NFL insider Mike Garafolo. Curry’s one-year contract is reportedly worth up to $2 million with $1.3 million fully guaranteed.

There was previously some talk that Curry might return but it’s been some time since we’ve heard anything about that. Derrick Gunn reports Curry was weighing offers between the Eagles and the Cleveland Browns (Note that former Eagles executive Andrew Berry is now Cleveland’s general manager.)

Here’s what we wrote about Curry back in January:
    Review: The Eagles re-signed Curry after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers cut him last year. The team was high on his outlook; Howie Roseman said the following about Curry in early September: “Vinny looks better than he did two years ago [when he started in 2017].” That optimism looked foolish as Curry went on to have just one sack in his first 11 games. The Curry re-signing was looking like just another example of the Eagles’ nostalgia over-reliance. But then Curry turned it on down the stretch with four sacks in his final six games. Curry actually finished the 2019 season ranked 10th out of 124 players in PFF’s pass rush productivity stat.

Outlook: The Eagles really need to get younger, as Roseman stated, and re-signing Curry, who turns 32 this summer, doesn’t help to accomplish that. But the team might look to bring him back on the cheap as a rotational piece.

Indeed, Curry could be a good role player for the Eagles if he picks up where he left off from late last year. He figures to be the team’s third or fourth defensive end behind obvious starters Brandon Graham and Derek Barnett. Curry played more defensive snaps than Josh Sweat (38.5% vs. 34.5%) in 2019 but we might see the latter go ahead this year.

Curry’s return isn’t good news for the Eagles’ young edge rushers such as Genard Avery, Joe Ostman, Shareef Miller, and Casey Toohill. The Eagles will probably keep six defensive ends at most ... and maybe only five. With the Graham, Barnett, Currry, and Sweat quartet locked in, the other guys are fighting for one or two spots on the 53-man roster. And they’re not going to be in the actual playing rotation (barring injury). Kind of disappointing to spend two fourth-round picks on Miller and Avery and not have them contribute at all.

As you know, Curry was originally selected by Philadelphia in the second-round of the 2012 NFL Draft. The Neptune, New Jersey native grew up as a big Eagles fan and was a starter for the franchise’s first-ever Super Bowl winner, which is pretty dang cool.

Welcome back, Vinny.
    Poll

Grade the Eagles’ re-signing of Vinny Curry
    • A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    VOTE view resultsRELATED
    Eagles really counting on Derek Barnett to step up in a big way

MORE FROM BLEEDING GREEN NATIONMOST READ
    1. https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/8/7/21358294/eagles-news-darius-slay-philadelphia-top-bounce-back-candidate-cornerback-espn-pff-lions-cornerback][/URL]
      The Linc - The Eagles’ top bounce-back candidate
    2. https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/8/6/21357218/nfl-opt-out-deadline-passed-eagles-impacted-list-marquise-goodwin-covid-schedule-2020-football-news][/URL]
      The NFL opt-out deadline has passed. Here’s how the Eagles were impacted.

"Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I always liked Curry and think he plays hard. Never really was pro bowl type quality but always dependable. But I am not really a fan of this. Those other guys must not be showing anything at all in the day to day work if the birds felt the need to pick up this 32 year old guy.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      I always liked Curry and think he plays hard. Never really was pro bowl type quality but always dependable. But I am not really a fan of this. Those other guys must not be showing anything at all in the day to day work if the birds felt the need to pick up this 32 year old guy.
      He'll just be part of the rotation ND. The troubling thing as you mentioned is that last year's and this year's 4th round picks might not make the team! Losing Hall hurts too.

Comment

Curry isn’t making enough that he can’t be cut. I like letting the young guys battle it out with a veteran. No one is being handed anything. I still want to see what Miller looks like after a year on the weights and Ostman was performing well prior to the injury
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I have always liked Vinny. Problem is I think they are going to cut a guy like Miller for him and Miller will get scooped up elsewhere.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Miller didn't show much at all last year and doesn't really have much time to prove himself this year. I think that you're right taz.

Comment

The great thing about Curry is he is NOT a super athlete but he is stout and can slide inside on passing downs as an extra body. They can use him a lot like they use Brandon Graham.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
              X