Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players like fiery new db coach

1. les
    Eagles’ Rodney McLeod says new coach Marquand Manuel is already a hit with the players

Updated Aug 08, 2020; Posted Aug 08, 2020Philadelphia Eagles safety Rodney McLeod praised his new defensive backs coach Marquand ManuelLori M. Nichols | NJ Advance Media

shares
    By Chris Franklin | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    New Eagles defensive backs coach Marquand Manuel has hit the ground running in Philadelphia, having already earned praise from one of the team’s defensive leaders.

Sign up for Eagles Extra: Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

Manuel took over the job and replaced Cory Undlin who had been in Philadelphia for five seasons before becoming the defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions. Manuel had spent four years with the Atlanta Falcons, coaching defensive backs before rising to the level of defensive coordinator. Manuel was let go after the 2018 season and was out of action during the 2019 season.

Buy Eagles gear: Fanatics, NFL Shop, Lids

During a press conference Thursday, Eagles safety Rodney McLeod said his teammates have already gravitated to Manuel, even through virtual offseason sessions. McLeod said the transition from Undlin to Manuel has been seamless.

"I think people respect him because one, he has played the game, his passion, and the way he coaches his group," McLeod said. "The expectations that he has for us are very high. He has coached a lot of good secondaries, and we want to be another group to be respected in this league and treated as such. He is going to fit perfectly, and we are going to be good."

Manuel is no stranger to McLeod, citing the two met during a college all-star game in 2012 after McLeod finished his senior season at the University of Virginia.

"I have some history with M(Manuel)," McLeod said. "He actually coached me at the East-West Shrine Game when I was coming out of college, so we go way back."

McLeod’s review of Manuel coincides with what former Eagles cornerback Lito Sheppard told NJ Advance Media in January.

“What I think he’s going to bring is a very Brian Dawkins-like inspirational mentality,” said Sheppard. “He’s a really pumped up guy, he’s a very exciting guy, and he’s a very passionate guy about his craft.”
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"
Working...
X