(OT) Covid19 vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (OT) Covid19 vaccine

My wife and I have signed up for the Moderna covid vaccine trial. She and I will receive the vaccine later this month and be followed for 24 months. We will have to be observed for 3 hours after getting the initial and secondary dose. It pays big... more than $2000 if you make it all the way through.

I am excited to be a part of this. I know some of you might think I'm crazy but I'd do this for free. This is history and I want to support my neighbors because I'm a relatively healthy guy.

The money will be nice too and I'd add I have 12 people that I have contacted here in K.C. that are also going to participate and I get a nice referral bonus for each.

If this is the good stuff that means my wife and I will be on the other side of the immunity wall because of it. Really excited.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

good luck AW!

Comment

Good luck aw. Glad to see the US doing it right. Russia is skipping the phase 3 clinical trials for testing and going straight to human immunizations. THIS is how the zombie apocalypse starts!
      The perfect Hungry Zombie Lick Animated GIF for your conversation. Discover and Share the best GIFs on Tenor.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Best of luck for you and your bride Sean! Godspeed.
        Last edited by Eagle60; 08-16-2020, 12:28 PM.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'd do it aw. And like you I would do it for free. pm me if you have info on how a person signs up
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

NoDak... I will ask the guy if they have a partner in North Dakota but my guess is they don't. My good buddy from high school lives in Wichita and they didn't have an option for him so ND is probably a no fly zone.... sorry.

People are asking me if I am worried that I will get covid19 and I have simply said no because that is not how vaccines are supposed to work. But also this entire time I have been ok with the possibility that I would actually get it naturally. There is risk in the way we live our lives but I am confident that my immunology would respond and will respond well to the vaccine. But if something crazy happens I would accept it. It is my choice and I hope maybe we can help the greater good here.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I imagine you could be getting a placebo too? Is that right?
              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                I imagine you could be getting a placebo too? Is that right?
                oh yeah, that's a real possibility.

AW - you gotta keep us informed of this trial if you are able to.

Comment

Guys... back from a golf weekend.

Yes, there is a 50/50 chance that I get a placebo.

I get dosed on August 27th in the morning and they have to observe me for 3 hours after dosing to make sure I don't have an adverse side effect.

And then from there i have to go in 6 more times after 2 years. I'm assuming they are going to look for sustained antibody response although one of the doses is another 3 hour session so maybe they will dose me again? I also have to keep a monthly journal online but that shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes a month. The other 5 office visits I am assuming they are going to check my general health and draw blood because it will be brief.

If you make it all the way through you get $2250 and they pay it to you in stages based on how many appointments you make it through. Honestly... don't care about the money though and I hope I get the vaccine not the placebo.

My wife is 51 and healthy and she is also doing it and getting dosed the day before me. She is on no medication and has no immune or health concerns. I am on blood pressure medication but for a phase 3 they need people with a variety of health issues and HBP is a good one to check out.

Guys obviously something could go wrong and I could end up with covid19 but I am confident that if it did progress to that my symptoms would be minor.

I have been very lucky healthwise most of my life... rarely sick and I have never gotten a flu shot. I was calling on hospitals throughout the swine flu issue in 2009 and never got it or even felt remotely bad. I also have spent a lot of time in VAs and anybody that knows VAs knows that is a germ hotbed.

So I'm happy to do what I can to help out and not gonna lie after the 3 month furlough the extra money for my wife and I will be nice.

Comment

But how do they know if it works AW? Do they expose you to it? Most people don't get it anyway.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

The vaccine is actually a portion of the virus that has what is called messenger RNA in it and is dead or on the cusp of dying so the goal is for it not to replicate. A vaccine is not a treatment it is a prophylactic approach with the goal being to get my body to create the antibodies on its own so that if/when I were to come into contact with the virus environmentally or naturally my body would recognize the virus and I'd already have an antibody response to it. I'd squash it quickly.

That is how the flu vaccine works. They use analytics and study past viral migration to try and create what the flu virus might look like for the coming flu season and then they "tame" it to a vaccine form to get your body to respond.

So what they are doing here is they are giving me covid19 and probably a slightly broader spectrum of covid19 to account for viral migration. It is my understanding that covid generally is a pretty stable virus. It doesn't change or migrate too quickly.

That is really the key with vaccines. Sometimes you will hear people say they "missed" on the flu virus this year meaning the vaccine isn't helpful because the actual flu virus is different genomically from the vaccine they guessed would work.

I'm getting in the weeds here but as you guys know I spent 11 years in the lab business and so I have a salesperson's background in gene sequencing, viruses, etc., so generally when they talk about this stuff or I read about it I know what they are saying.

Exposure/vaccination is the way forward here. Treatments are great. Tamiflu for instance is not a treatment but it helps mediate the symptoms of flu so the body can respond and squash it. That is what the HQL is doing too on early onset covid19 patients. It is limiting the symptoms and allowing the patient's body to fight and beat covid19. If you look at the studies the HQL doesn't work when a patient gets really sick. But it does do pretty well early onset.

Comment

Good luck Andre.

Comment

Guys... I'm bumping this. I got the vaccine today. My wife got it two days ago. So far so good... no headaches. The shot didn't even hurt. The nasal swab was the worst part.

Of course I just got the shot 2 hours ago and I could have gotten the placebo. I'm hoping for the juice though.

I'll let you guys know if anything odd happens like I start singing Earth, Wind, and Fire songs uncontrollably or I die. But unless you hear otherwise I'm good.

I get a second dose in a month and then I'm monitored for 2 years.

Comment

This is the crazy part. Everyone assumes we’ll get a vaccine to the public by next year. But your trial has to be monitored for 2 years.

Comment

I agree SF but I think as long as I don't have an adverse reaction over the next 2 months they will fast track it. They took a bunch of blood and the nasal swab. They are going to see if I had antibodies already and if I did I will be out of the trial. However, it is important to give covid+ people the vaccine to make sure it won't cause anything weird with their immunology.

So if the next time around I go from no antibodies to having antibodies... if I in fact got the vaccine... that would mean it worked I think because it will be 30 days later and I will not have gotten "sick" from the vaccine.

Again... i really really hope I got the real juice.

Comment

Working...
                              X