Lane Thinks Brooks Could Play THIS Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane Thinks Brooks Could Play THIS Season

Lane Johnson thinks Brandon Brooks could return this season after Achilles tear

By Dave Zangaro August 16, 2020 1:55 PM
    When Brandon Brooks tore his left Achilles tendon back on June 15, he posted a message on social media and said, “I’ll be back and better than ever.”

No one thought he meant this season.

But his good friend and offensive linemate Lane Johnson said on a Zoom call with reporters Sunday afternoon that he thinks there’s a chance Brooks might be able to return during the 2020 season.
    Yeah, I could see him coming in later in the year,” Johnson said. “As far as his recovery is going, I know he’s ahead of schedule. He’s looking good. I think he’s changed his diet up, trying to optimize that recovery and trying to come back as soon as he can. So I can definitely see that happening.

That would be pretty incredible.

But it’s something even Brooks has hinted at on social media.

When Brooks, 30, tore his right Achilles back in the playoff game against the Saints at the tail end of the 2018 season, his recovery was pretty incredible. He returned in less than eight months to play in the 2019 season opener.

If Brooks plays in the 2020 season, it would be an even quicker recovery. Eight months from the injury would be in February. So if Brooks is somehow able to return, we’re probably talking about the playoffs.

But his recovery seems to be going pretty well. He was back doing jiu jitsu two days after the injury. And he looks like a monster:

In the interim, the Eagles brought back 38-year-old Jason Peters to start at right guard this season. The Eagles put Brooks on the Active/PUP list but there will be an opportunity to bring him back this season if he’s on the PUP or on Injured Reserve. PUP rules remain the same this season but teams will be allowed to bring back an unlimited number of players from IR as long as they miss at least three games. So the Eagles wouldn’t even have to designate Brooks to return or use one of those spots on him.

In a recent interview with ProFootballFocus, Brooks said he worked hard this offseason to transform his body. He’s down 50 pounds and has completely changed his diet.

Just last week, Brooks was able to take the next step in his rehab when his boot came off Thursday. If anyone could return from an Achilles tear in record time, Brooks would be a good bet.

It still seems pretty unlikely that Brooks is able to play in the 2020 season. If he does, he really is a freak.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Yea I am in the pretty unlikely camp but haven't seen him or his medical records or his feet so what do I know. I'll say this though......if JP is holding his own and Brooks comes back in week 14 or something I am sticking with JP. Now, if JP can;t make the transition and we are struggling trying Opeta and Herbig and Driscoll, and Pryor and whoever then yes I am throwing Broks right into the fray
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Working...
    X