It just never stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just never stops

Report: Jason Peters wants more money if the Eagles are going to play him at left tackle

Well, then.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Aug 29, 2020, 1:17pm EDT
    99 CommentsShare this storyPhoto by Steven Ryan/Getty Images
    When news of Andre Dillard suffering a season-ending biceps injury emerged on Thursday, many assumed the Philadelphia Eagles would simply move Jason Peters from right guard back to left tackle. But apparently it’s not exactly that simple.

Peters “wants to be paid like a starting left tackle if he’s to assume the role” for the 2020 NFL season, according to a report from the Inquirer’s Jeff McLane. Peters is currently playing on a one-year, $3 million contract that’s reportedly worth up to $6 million.

This report explains why Doug Pederson curiously stated that Peters is merely “in the conversation” at left tackle as opposed to naming him the starter. Pederson also mentioned Jordan Mailata, Matt Pryor, and Jack Driscoll (in that order) that they “want to look at over at the left side.”

Pryor was seen lining up at left tackle with the first team offense early in Saturday’s practice, which isn’t open to most media members due to the rain. Peters was seen at right guard with Jordan Mailata lining up at right tackle with Lane Johnson missing his sixth straight practice. To recap:

Left tackle — Matt Pryor
    Left guard — Isaac Seumalo
    Center — Jason Kelce
    Right guard — Jason Peters
    Right tackle — Jordan Mailata
    RELATED
    4 thoughts on how the Andre Dillard injury impacts the Eagles

7 free agent offensive tackle options for the Eagles following Andre Dillard’s injury

It’s not so crazy that Peters is asking for more money. First of all, he re-signed with the team to play right guard. $3 million is around the 20th highest annual value at that position. $3 million at left tackle, meanwhile, checks in at 30th.

Peters also has the leverage to ask for more money. The future Hall of Famer has a lot of clout at the NovaCare Complex; he used the words “best friends” to describe his relationship with team owner Jeffrey Lurie.

And Peters knows the Eagles know their best starting offensive line combination is with him playing at left tackle, where he graded out highly by Pro Football Focus last year. The alternatives just aren’t great. Pryor has shown some promise but he’s never really played or taken reps on the left side at the NFL level. Mailata doesn’t look game ready based on how he’s been dominated by the likes of former UDFA signing Joe Ostman in practice. Driscoll is a rookie who has mostly played on the right side. Prince Tega Wanogho, another rookie, didn’t even draw mention from Pederson.

Peters’ camp has reason to leak this report because it makes the Eagles look cheap if they don’t acquiesce with his demands. Are the Eagles really going to be frugal about protecting Carson Wentz’s blindside?

Then again, the Eagles could be trying to paint Peters as selfish for asking for more money. Especially since most are aware that the team is hard up against the salary cap heading into the 2021 season.

Either way, it’s not so great that there’s another complication for the Eagles’ offensive line outlook. That unit has been imperative to their success in recent years and it’s just not looking so great or settled right now with Week 1 only 15 days away.

I guess we’ll know if the Eagles decided to pay Peters or not based on which position he ends up playing.
    Poll

Should the Eagles give Jason Peters more money so he’ll move to left tackle?
    • 55%Yes

(774 votes)
    • 45%No

(639 votes)
    1413 votes total
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

This is a dick move by Peters. I guess he forgot how teams were beating down his door to sign him in the off season. If the Eagles didn’t give him an offer for RG he wouldn’t have gotten a sniff from anyone. I get that he wants to be paid for the job he is being asked to play, but there has to be a better way for him to broach the subject. This is a dick move.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

fuck him, let him walk and go with Pryor and Driscoll and let Lane play LT
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Peters has never been a big team guy. This is not surprising to me one bit.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I agree with MM, let him walk! This season sucks already.
          Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Terrible move by Peters, IMO. The Eagles did not bait and switch anything. He has no increased time or effort (probably less prep time to be honest). Please let me know if there is ANY precedent for this request? If a backup gets to start due to injury do they ask for a new contract in season? F no they are happy for the opportunity. If someone moves from slot to outside receiver do they ask this? DT to DE? no. I wouldn't release Peters but I would make it absolutely clear that his request wasn't well received and ask him point blank if he is asked to play LT on the current contract will he refuse to play? Document that and suspend/cut if appropriate. No matter what this should end the relationship between the birds and JP after this year. I hope he doesn't have an agent because if he does and they agreed to this demand, they needed to be named as well.

Comment

If at all possible, I'm keeping him at guard. Not only do I think it will allow him to stay on the field more, it addresses the issues above. Chicken shit move from someone only playing for themselves at this point. I get the desire for more cash, but wow. I'd be hammering all possible LT options. The OL is VERY thin at this point. I may even start looking for a 3rd TE that can block.

Comment

In all fairness LT is a more financially lucrative position in the NFL, so I would expect the Eagles to spend more for a LT than a RG. But Peters knew when he signed his deal that an untested rookie taking over the LT position was a risky move and might lead to him being asked to return to LT if Dillard struggled. If he was concerned about the disparity in pay it should have been negotiated into his contract when he signed. All it would take is a clause stating that moving to LT would trigger higher pay. Waiting until an injury forced the Eagles into a corner reeks of opportunism and greed on Peters part. That is why I am angry and disappointed with him. I have concerns about his ability to contain speed edge rushers and because of that I would leave him at RG and look for younger options at LT.

Comment

I will say if I were the Eagles I'd throw in the towel on this season right now and just cut Peters. The guy is a "fake" team guy. Always has been. Look at how he reacted to Chip Kelly and I know Chip was an ass but so what. Plug Pryor in at RG and sign Riley Rieff or roll with the kids and give them a ton of help. I just don't understand how Peters can come back to win a super bowl and then decide he doesn't want to move. It is the ultimate selfish move. I'd just be done with the guy.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                    In all fairness LT is a more financially lucrative position in the NFL, so I would expect the Eagles to spend more for a LT than a RG. But Peters knew when he signed his deal that an untested rookie taking over the LT position was a risky move and might lead to him being asked to return to LT if Dillard struggled. If he was concerned about the disparity in pay it should have been negotiated into his contract when he signed. All it would take is a clause stating that moving to LT would trigger higher pay. Waiting until an injury forced the Eagles into a corner reeks of opportunism and greed on Peters part. That is why I am angry and disappointed with him. I have concerns about his ability to contain speed edge rushers and because of that I would leave him at RG and look for younger options at LT.
                    But he is making the best money he was offered. He could be sitting home right now
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I actually think Lane and Pryor should switch sides

Comment

Nothing to see here... business as usual...... follow the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post

But he is making the best money he was offered. He could be sitting home right now
                          I totally agree mm. My point was that he is being an opportunist and trying to take advantage of the Eagles. If he really felt that any move back top LT should include higher pay he should have had that added to his contract - a contract that he JUST SIGNED!! Like I said, everyone knew bringing him in when Brooks got hurt included the possibility that Peters would move to LT if Dillard struggled. If Peters and his agent didn't know that out too frigging bad!

Comment

I will hardly ever disagree with a player trying to get max value, since the owners/management are certainly ruthless when it come to minimizing cost. However, any agent worthy of the title should have known this was a good possibility and built it into the contract. JP should be blaming his agent, not the team.
                            And if he refuses to move positions, bench him. Period. Even better, IR him, since he'll most likely take a pay cut on IR. Not like the guy had a choice of 10 different offers when he was looking.

Comment

I love JP. I wonder what incentives were in the contract to begin with? One thing about JP is that it's all about the money with him. I think the Birds and he will work it out though. Starting LTs don't make $3million per year.
                              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                              X