Will the season start on time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the season start on time?

Maybe I’m just being paranoid but is the season even gonna start on time?

i see a lot of injury reports though

sure fucking hope so
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think it will. Unfortunately I don't think they will end properly
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Unless the league has a serious outbreak there is too much money at stake for the league to delay it. I fully expect a big increase in cases with the start of local schools, but I don’t see the league allowing that to delay them. At most I think teams planning to have fans in the stands may be impacted but I don’t see the league not starting on time.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Barring an outbreak on multiple teams they are going to play. There is too much money at stake. My buddy that writes for the Denver Post and covers the Broncos said the NFL and the NFLPA are completely together on going forward regardless almost anything and secretly they are laughing at the B10 and P12. They were hoping college football would dump the fall season so they could grab all those TV windows but that is not going to happen because the SEC, ACC, and Big12 are going forward too no matter what at this point. Heck the SEC is going to allow fans. And so are some Big12 programs.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

If the NFL was really concerned about players and staff contracting C-19 there is a very simple and effective solution that allows them to play. Create a Disney style bubble at an old college or recently closed military facility where they can have the teams live, and televise the games. This has worked really well for the NBA and it could work for the NFL. Football has far fewer needs than the NBA or the NHL in order to have the games. Where basketball needs indoor facilities and hockey needs controlled climates, football only needs a modest amount of level grass for a field, portable goal posts and lights. If the league wanted to create temporary fields they could easily do it with as little as 2-3 acres for each field (a field is roughly 1.35 acres so allowing 3 acres for each game provides room for sidelines, TV gear etc. and still allows a large space between facilities - and that's assuming there is a limited amount of available space. A decent sized golf course in the US is about 150 acres and there are TONS of failing courses in warm weather areas near college facilities they could lease for a year. It would take 7 fields (roughly 20 acres total) for the early games, 6 for the late games and 3 for SNF, MNF and TNF. This equates to roughly 50 acres for the game fields. By creating 16 fields they guarantee that each field is only used once each week insuring a decent playing surface. They would need more space to create practice fields (maybe these would be shared by teams with one using it in the morning and the other in the afternoon) and they'd need to provide lecture halls/meeting rooms and a medical and training wing (which could be also be shared spaces if facilities were limited - and again I can't believe they couldn't find an abundance of viable facilities.) Then it's simply living arrangements and a commitment from the players not to break the bubble. If the league took these steps they would have a high likelihood of success. The NBA created the blueprint, and it appears to be working very well - even the NHL bubble (which takes place in high density cities) is working. The NFL could very easily find 1 facility that could serve all 32 teams or even use the NHL plan and create 2 locations, one on the east coast and one on the west coast. But the NFL clearly doesn't want to do this. They appear to want any fan revenue they can generate and more importantly, to avoid the expenses of creating the facilities and housing the teams. It really looks (to me any way) that the Owners are once again putting their revenue ahead of player safety. I guess Ishouldn't be surprised.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Juk... I'll got one step further.

If the NFL really were worried they could create pods. You could have a Texas Pod... you have 3 indoor stadiums.

You could create a Florida pod... you have an indoor and 2 outdoor stadiums.

And you could have an Arizona pod... indoor stadium plus college fields in Tucson and Scottsdale.

And you have hotels in the area you could rent out.

What I think the NFL is hoping is that by November they can get some fans in the games and get revenue that way also.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                Juk... I'll got one step further.

If the NFL really were worried they could create pods. You could have a Texas Pod... you have 3 indoor stadiums.

You could create a Florida pod... you have an indoor and 2 outdoor stadiums.

And you could have an Arizona pod... indoor stadium plus college fields in Tucson and Scottsdale.

And you have hotels in the area you could rent out.

What I think the NFL is hoping is that by November they can get some fans in the games and get revenue that way also.
                Isn’t this what the NHL essentially did for the playoffs?

Comment

Week 1 is going to be a shit show. Nobody is gonna be ready. I bet a few stars get diagnosed with covid right before the game.

im talking about betting and FF reasons.

Comment

I have run pools for years but am not doing so this year. Who knows who will opt out an hour before a game or what team will be put on quarantine a day before a game or whatever
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                      I have run pools for years but am not doing so this year. Who knows who will opt out an hour before a game or what team will be put on quarantine a day before a game or whatever
                      I just bought Sunday ticket. It was only $80 but I kinda regret it. I’m sure there will be no refunds if the season is all fucked up.

Comment

Working...
                      X