No announcement yet.

What is you confidence level in Wentz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is you confidence level in Wentz?

Good - The problem is the oline, once that gets stabilized Wentz will fine
    0%
    Fair - it is a combination of play calling, oline & shaky Carson. He can bounce back
    77.78%
    Forget about it - Carson is broken and will never be what we thought he was.
    22.22%
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey

I’m somewhere between fair and forget about it.

Comment

I looked at Carson’s stats going into the 4th quarter and it scared the shit out of me. His stats were much better for his rookie year! Going into today's game he had 2 TDs and 4 picks, a 58.8 comp rate and a 64.4 QB rating. Today he has 1 TD, 2 picks and a 63% comp rating and there is no question if this stands his QB rating will go down again. In 2016 he had 16 TDs, 14 picks, a comp rate of 62 and QB rating of 73. This isn't just regressing, it is scary regression! I am in the broken and won’t be what we hoped camp.

Comment

Yea something is broken so I am putting him at fair. I've said in the past that he has talent. It is proven and shown. I am a firm believer that everyone needs coaching to keep them on target. Not a buddy and not a friend but a coach. Every good coach or manager I ever remember or every good coach or manager I have heard spoken of are people who will not hesitate to call you out. I don't think Carson has that in Philly today. The injuries are the injuries. I will also add something that no one I have ever heard say is that Carson had a LOT of change in the last three years. He got married, he got a bog contract, he moved to Texas and doesn't live in Philly, and he has had a baby, and who knows what else changed in his life. He needs a coach more now than ever. I'm not sure how his career will go.
        "Don't look between the lines for stuff that isn't there" Schwartz
        RIP

Comment

I just don't know what to think. Well, actually, I think the football Gods are extremely pissed at us. They gave us a hero. The dude MVPs a winning Super Bowl. Breaks the curse of Billy Penn. Beats the evil empire, the one that cheated on us, in the Super Bowl. Fist bumps Mickey Mouse at Disney World.

And, we ran him out of town. Cast him aside.

The Gods have smote us.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
            The Gods have smote us.
            That explains the plague of locusts I saw near the Linc

Comment

I am leaning toward fair, but not optimistic. We have overpaid and made far to many mistakes around him. He has a dilapidated OL and one of the worst WR corps in the league. Even with strong TE play, they are BAD. TH running game is OK, but the OL hurts that too. Doug has to improve play calling and find Carson some coaching help. Loosing Frank hurts and some of the others as well. He is turning out to be a little more high-maintenance than we thought, but he has no tools around him either. And, we have no end in sight.

Comment

If you take a step back and look at what has happened to Wentz over the past three years, I am honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner. Constant changes in coaching staff and personnel have effected him along with this two major injuries. These are not excuses just facts Wentz has not adapted well to these changes. Does that make him a bad QB no, I thought his work down the stretch last year was some of the best of his career. He is doing something now he has not done for most of his career and that is throw interceptions. He is missing throws that he used to make in his sleep. Some of those throws are purely timing, some of those throws you can tell in his mind he is doubting for a split second. The most concerning INT he has thrown was the last one because it was not a receiver he is used to working with. He simply made a bad throw, a late throw, one in which he second guessed himself for a split second. He has made that throw before and he has made it to Ertz. Ertz ran the route the right way, Wentz just missed him.

Now what to do to fix him. The short throws and screens are not going to work. He never has been great at throwing the screen pass. The two things that have seemed to get him going in the past when he struggles and he has had stretches of struggling (not 3 games worth but enough). The hurry up offense and rolling him out and give him a run or throw option. Do the out of the pocket thing right away first play he is under center. Let him get some quick confidence and most importantly the oline is not at full strength right now, get him away from getting hit or escaping for his life like he consistently had to do yesterday. Also save the gimmick Hurts stuff till a little later in the season. Or keep Wentz as the QB and have Hurts line as a RB. Taking Wentz out of the game or lining him up at WR just gives him one more thing to have to work though. This is an extremely intelligent person. He has all the skills to be great again. This is where coaching comes in. Doug has to figure this our, or Morningwhig or Taylor or maybe even get McCown back in town.

Wentz is too important to this team going forward to not go down every avenue you can to get him better. He is not Bobby Hoying or Kevin Kolb as some have said. He is one of the better QB in this league who is just struggling right now. QB's go through this. Now if he struggles like this the entire year then we should worry. After three games should we be concerned yes. Should we be breaking ankles jumping off the Wentz wagon or whatever you want to say I would so no. This is a premium talent.
                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Well, when you are rated last in the NFL there's only one way to go.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                    If you take a step back and look at what has happened to Wentz over the past three years, I am honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner. Constant changes in coaching staff and personnel have effected him along with this two major injuries. These are not excuses just facts Wentz has not adapted well to these changes. Does that make him a bad QB no, I thought his work down the stretch last year was some of the best of his career. He is doing something now he has not done for most of his career and that is throw interceptions. He is missing throws that he used to make in his sleep. Some of those throws are purely timing, some of those throws you can tell in his mind he is doubting for a split second. The most concerning INT he has thrown was the last one because it was not a receiver he is used to working with. He simply made a bad throw, a late throw, one in which he second guessed himself for a split second. He has made that throw before and he has made it to Ertz. Ertz ran the route the right way, Wentz just missed him.

Now what to do to fix him. The short throws and screens are not going to work. He never has been great at throwing the screen pass. The two things that have seemed to get him going in the past when he struggles and he has had stretches of struggling (not 3 games worth but enough). The hurry up offense and rolling him out and give him a run or throw option. Do the out of the pocket thing right away first play he is under center. Let him get some quick confidence and most importantly the oline is not at full strength right now, get him away from getting hit or escaping for his life like he consistently had to do yesterday. Also save the gimmick Hurts stuff till a little later in the season. Or keep Wentz as the QB and have Hurts line as a RB. Taking Wentz out of the game or lining him up at WR just gives him one more thing to have to work though. This is an extremely intelligent person. He has all the skills to be great again. This is where coaching comes in. Doug has to figure this our, or Morningwhig or Taylor or maybe even get McCown back in town.

Wentz is too important to this team going forward to not go down every avenue you can to get him better. He is not Bobby Hoying or Kevin Kolb as some have said. He is one of the better QB in this league who is just struggling right now. QB's go through this. Now if he struggles like this the entire year then we should worry. After three games should we be concerned yes. Should we be breaking ankles jumping off the Wentz wagon or whatever you want to say I would so no. This is a premium talent.
                    Man, I REALLY want to believe this. It makes sense. I just hope you're right.

Wentz has been off a bit since camp started. He's played on gameday like he showed in camp. Inconsistent. Makes a great throw and then a couple of bad ones. He's just not playing like a franchise QB right now. Look at what other guys at his paygrade are doing. It could very well be a variety of factors as described above. But, it could also be that what we are seeing, and we saw it a lot last year, is who he really is. Inconsistent, semi-accurate, prone to turnovers, but will go on a tear every once in a while.

I don't know.

Comment

the line is in shambles, Sanders was missing the first game, Goedert has been there less than half the time,Jeffrey is out and Ertz looked like he had his head up his ass the first game. How is Wentz supposed to be ? Doug hasn't done a thing to help the situation. If they sink much further, let Hurts take the beating.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                        the line is in shambles, Sanders was missing the first game, Goedert has been there less than half the time,Jeffrey is out and Ertz looked like he had his head up his ass the first game. How is Wentz supposed to be ? Doug hasn't done a thing to help the situation. If they sink much further, let Hurts take the beating.
                        I can't put it all on the line. Or, missing players. Week 1 Wentz threw a pick late in the first half, that they converted to a TD to let them back in the game, and then he took a very ill advised sack which took them out of FG range. Against the Rams, the line didn't play that bad, and again, Wentz made some questionable throws that resulted in turnovers. He's not playing well. He's not playing like a franchise QB. I don't think you can say, well the line is this, this guy is hurt, etc. A lot of it is Wentz.

Comment

I know this is my thread and I already voted that Wentz is the main issue - but honestly I just don't know what to make of this team right now. It is certainly not JUST Wentz - the oline injuries, awful play calling, lack of preseason games and reduced camp with so many rookies on the team, poor play by the receivers and, as others have said, a constant parade of new coaches and support staff have all contributed to this situation. But as I watch the games and see Wentz make bad decisions multiple times each game I get very concerned. He is not showing me that he is in his fifth season as a starting NFL QB and this is my biggest concern. I have no idea if the changes in his life (marriage, fatherhood, moving etc.) have taken his focus off of the game or if these along with the lack of preseason games and reduced camp are the cause. To me this week will be a sign of which one it really is - SF is no joke. Through three games, their defense is giving up the second fewest yards through the air (187.3 YDs/G) and are middle of the pack against the run (116.7 YDs/G - #16). Doug said he wanted to strip down the options this week and focus on the plays Carson where was having success. This week we will complete 1/4 of the season. Let's see how a simplified and focused game plan stacks up against a strong pass defense. If Carson gets rattled and throws more picks it will tell us a lot about what to expect the rest of the season.

Comment

If it turns out like the GB win last year I will certainly enjoy the victory but my concerns will not be gone. If I am Jeff I am quietly asking some outsiders that know football inside and out what they think. Not necessarily jumping at what they say but the answers would heighten my awareness of things to look at.
                            "Don't look between the lines for stuff that isn't there" Schwartz
                            RIP

Comment

I have loved the guy since we drafted him. backed him no matter what. The team has been a bit of a shell since Reich left. They've done a poor job of improving what is around him

with all that said though, he has been putridly bad so far. Hard to figure out why? Did bulking up hurt him? Did he get full of himself from the end of last year? Did the contract, marriage, and baby make him focus on more important things. How much to blame is the coaching? Playcalling has been bad as well.

whatever it is, it needs to get fixed or he could really see his end of days here within the next couple of years. Unless Jeff is more critical of Howie and Doug. Both have been just as bad

Comment

Working...
                              X