Game 4 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game 4 Review

I was really proud of these guys. This is why I am an Eagles fan. For some reason, this organization has a history of shocking the world. Let's face it. They aren't going anywhere but last night that was fun.

Negatives
    1. Nate Gerry... OK I have seen enough. He is not fast enough or big enough. He is Mark Simoneau but not even that good. Alex Singleton looked way more athletic. Singleton needs to play in Gerry's place. Edwards isn't great but he is good enough I think. Jury is still out on Duke Riley for me but I think Shaun Bradley and Davion Taylor should start warming up in the pen. We have to see what these kids can do. A lot of playing LB in the NFL today is being able to run and Singleton can run. Taylor and Bradley supposedly can run too. Let's see.
    2. K. Wallace... I really don't know what to say about him but he did very little in the game. Maybe it is because the 49ers literally never threw deep until the end of the game but Wallace was not much of a factor. He got beat by Kittle on that crossfield throw but Kittle is really good. I guess I was thinking Wallace might be a little more aggressive in the run game and fly around but maybe it was the way he was deployed.
    3. Injuries.... Lane, Edwards, Slay. They are probably all going to be OK but seriously.
    4. A.J. Killins... he caught that one pass in space and that was an oversized LB and he just flat got caught. What the hell man. You are supposed to be an elite quicks guy. You better be ready next time.
    5. Hurts looked out of it when he got in there. Like he was nervous or something. That fumbled snap was ridiculous.
    6. Bad snap, false start, poor play calling... man the negative plays killed us.

Positives
    1. JORDAN MAILATA SHOULD PLAY THE REST OF THE SEASON. Granted, he wasn't lining up against Reggie White but the kid earned another start or two. He and Herbig both played OK. I'm not sure about Pryor but it didn't seem like the 49ers got pressure unless they brought a blitzer or 2 and that is good.
    2. Richard Rodgers played well and while he isn't Goedert he can at least fill in for him.
    3. Avery. I mean Avery. Are you kidding me. He and Sweat played really well. Hell Barnett played well. And BGraham was BGraham. That defensive line last night was the best and deepest in football.
    4. Ward is a 4th NFL WR. He needs to play. Even when DJax, Reagor and AJ come back Ward needs to play. Hightower needs to play too. Whiteside should be cut.
    5. Carson was a warrior. An absolute warrior. Guys if you put some talent in front of him and around him he can win a Super Bowl. He isn't Tom Brady or Russell Wilson but he is Matt Ryan.
    6. I loved the way Doug got Carson out of the pocket and that Carson ran with the ball to keep the defense honest. More of that please.
    7. I thought McLeod played pretty well.

Overall
    1. The way that clock was handled at the end of the game was ridiculous and the Eagles should quietly protest. There is NO WAY that when Rogers bobbled that onside kick only 1 second comes off. The rule is on an onside kick that is recovered the run off is 1 second. However, Rogers bobbled it and then fell on it. That clock should have ran until he was touched. I have never seen a game where the 2 minute warning TO was more critical than that one. It was the difference between the 49ers having 1:30 of time for the final drive and 50 seconds.
    2. That said... the officiating this year has been really good and I continue to think it is because there are no fans in the stadium influencing calls.
    3. It was a nice win but we still aren't good enough. Now, if AJ and DJax, Reagor, Goedert come back healthy maybe we can make a small run but against this schedule it would still be fools gold. The ace in the hole would be if somehow Mialata continues to improve, Isaac comes back, and we can solidify the RG spot. Still... not enough horses. I don't want 8-7-1.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

I was happy to see Wallace out there and thought he did pretty good

Gerry was bad again, but Duke Riley is just ridiculously bad. We have to get Taylor and Bradley out there. They cannot be worse

crazy how quickly games can change. Great throw and catch for Wentz Fulgham. Nice read and return by Singleton. Going for and getting 2 after first TD. If just one of those doesn’t happen, we lose.

I still hate Schwartz. With him it’s all on the front 4. Hated prevent when up 11. Almost bit us.

unless a ton of guys come back, this team ain’t going anywhere.

nice win last night though

Comment

By the way, Fred Warner is a stud. Stopped promising plays all night

its what impact linebackers can do. Why we don’t get that, I’ll never know

Comment

Pretty cool evaluation AW. Mailatta and the left guard had trouble on X stunts though. The same thing on the other side. That's where most of the pressure came from. I don't know why SF didn't do it all day. I can see why Pryor is a backup. Real good blocker but he's not very quick pulling. I think that Schwartz is still searching for OLB. He tried all of them searching! He seems happy with Gerry. Edwards and Singleton really can lay you out but are having trouble on pass coverage.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I watched Fulgham play quite a bit in college, as my alma mater was in the same conference (CUSA). His physical attributes are nearly the same as Whiteside. The dude catches everything. In college I didn't think he would make a good NFL player though, because of his lack of speed. But, he looked pretty good last night and got some separation. In fact, he looked better in 1 game than Whiteside in 1+ seasons. If Fulgham can play at this level, there is no need for Whiteside to take a roster spot as they are the same type of player. We should find out soon enough. That long throw and catch last night may inspire some confidence in the WR from Wentz.

Crazy how Greg Ward Jr is our best healthy WR right now. The man couldn't even hold a roster spot for several years. It seems like he has the best hands on the team and it isn't close.

I said that I wasn't going to watch the game last night, because of all the injuries, Covid, etc. But, I couldn't help myself. It's an addiction that I have no control over

Comment

"It seems like he has the best hands on the team and it isn't close." That alone places him above every receiver we have had out there this year
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Eagles waived Adrian Killins today. He has looked completely overmatched in the NFL.

Comment

My take:
                Carson is a warrior but he really needs to work on his footwork. Its killing him. Sanders across the middle would have been a huge play but Wentz pulls a McNabb special and throwes it at his feet. But Carson can makes plays out of nothing and I love him as my QB
                Doug please stay with the run. Try play action. Get Carson under center some. But take more deep shots!
                Mailiata was a good story. Stunts kiiled the entire OL. Gotta clean that up. We will see how they hold up against that Steelers front (oh Man!)
                Defense very good game by DL. Safeties were good too! I like Wallace. I'm glad he got Kittle his 1st time out. No one else he wil face will that good. LB are just awful! Please please just play the kids!

Comment

I want to expand a bit on JM's play. I watched Tra Thomas breakdown every offensive play. Granted it wasn't in detail but he did go through all the offensive snaps and when he found something of note he looked at it a few times and from the All-22 angle. Tra's takeaway on JM was pretty positive. Tra does not like his pass set. He thinks it is too overdone and his kickback is too high but he is so quick he gets away with it. JM did a pretty good job handling the speed rush to the edge. He did get off balance a few times but that is going to happen. JP gets off balance. He is just such a strong and big human that being a little off balance he can still handle a 250 pound dude. The issue would be a smaller player with a lower center of gravity getting underneath of him if he starts leaning back. The big issue was a few times the rusher was able to fake outside and redirect and flatten and JM got beat on that. Again... not surprising. But I really doubt a TJ Ward is going to do a lot of that. He is undersized. Now his brother JJ maybe. In the run game, Tra said JM looks athletic. He wanted to see him be a bit nastier when he got to the second level and tee off on some backers. That would be excellent in my opinion. He is so big and fast he could really light up some LBs on the second level and slow them down on the pass rush.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Ward? It sounds a lot like /Buddy Ryan "all he does is catch TD passed". I'm not buying AW, I like your post but Ward is the most dependable receiver on the team. He doesn't.t drop anything. He's been a Godsend.
                    Last edited by Eagle60; 10-06-2020, 07:43 PM.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Nice write up AW. I wrote one yesterday thought I posted it but alas I never did.

While Malita didn't play horrible and he played better than I thought he would he still gave up way too much pressure. I thought Doug did a good job of rolling out Carson to the opposite side of Mailata. I will say this I would much rather roll with Mailata the rest of the year than bringing back Peters, that ship has sailed. Either way lets see what the kid has

Carson Wentz is a a better QB than everyone gives him credit for. I don't care about the stats. I see a warrior out there, he willed this team to victory on Sunday Night. He is Elite. Sure Dak Prescots numbers look great on Sunday and they were. He lost. His team was down 38-14 going into the 4th quarter. Credit for not quitting but you can't win games that way. Yes Daks defense sucks but he still only put up 14 points through three quarters. I believe we have killed Mr. Wentz for that many a time.

Speaking of the defense, You all know I am not the biggest Jim Schwartz fan but props where props are due. He has changed up that defense some this year. They are playing more man and they are playing pretty. Well Tight Ends are going to kill them the entire year because they have no linebackers but still their corners are much improved and the pass rush is excellent right now. Every player on that line is contributing. Kudos to Jim Schwartz.

I know everyone is caught up in the Travis Fulgam mania but man was that a pretty throw from Carson. I mean Fulgam almost dropped it but man was a good throw. Its great to see these young guys who up every once and awhile on tape. It makes you wonder why we don't mix and match them more. I think Doug is just know seeing what he has. No off season takes some time. I definetly want to see more of Hightower, Fulgam and Burnett but man do I want to get Jeffrey, Jackson and Geodert back.

The injuries just keep piling up. Edwards and Ford down this week. Think about this, 16 games, if you lose 2 players per game than is a 32 players during the year. Simply not sustainable.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Taz... great observation on the Wentz throw. That is maybe the best deep throw I've ever seen him make.

I agree with you that Schwartz changed some stuff up but I also think there was very little fear of getting beat deep with that group of WRs. I would love to see a pass chart on if/how many times the 49ers actually threw the ball further than 12-15 yards down the field. I don't think other than some of the stuff on the final drive when they were forced to that they did. And that is one of the reasons that KVon Wallace wasn't involved in the action as much. McLeod is more the in the box guy I think with Mills moving to CB because Wallace likely just knew the Mills position. Because of that, I think Schwartz was able to have his corners press a bit more and we know Slay is just better to begin with. That is going to change this week. The Steelers can get deep with JuJu. They better be ready... however the Steelers are not as good at TE as the 49ers. Who is as good at TE as the 49ers really.

As for JM, I just can't fault him for his play. It was his first start and he was playing alongside a guy making his second start at LG. I really can't fault the OL play and I do like the fact that Doug moved Carson in the pocket. The kid is better on the move. Keep doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                          Taz... great observation on the Wentz throw. That is maybe the best deep throw I've ever seen him make.

I agree with you that Schwartz changed some stuff up but I also think there was very little fear of getting beat deep with that group of WRs. I would love to see a pass chart on if/how many times the 49ers actually threw the ball further than 12-15 yards down the field. I don't think other than some of the stuff on the final drive when they were forced to that they did. And that is one of the reasons that KVon Wallace wasn't involved in the action as much. McLeod is more the in the box guy I think with Mills moving to CB because Wallace likely just knew the Mills position. Because of that, I think Schwartz was able to have his corners press a bit more and we know Slay is just better to begin with. That is going to change this week. The Steelers can get deep with JuJu. They better be ready... however the Steelers are not as good at TE as the 49ers. Who is as good at TE as the 49ers really.

As for JM, I just can't fault him for his play. It was his first start and he was playing alongside a guy making his second start at LG. I really can't fault the OL play and I do like the fact that Doug moved Carson in the pocket. The kid is better on the move. Keep doing that.

You asked for it, you got it...

Annotation 2020-10-07 115013.jpg

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/...12/2020/4/pass
                          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

By the way, that chart is only for Mullens. They don't have one for Beathard for this game.
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Juk... is that for where the ball was actually thrown to or the total yards on the play? For the life of me, I can't remember him throwing it that far downfield? The TD to Aiyuk went that direction but I think it was a 10-15 yard throw that Aiyuk took to the house?

Comment

Working...
                              X