Eagles Vs Ravens Observations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles Vs Ravens Observations.

A loss is a loss is a loss. A point in this game the Eagles were down to two of their starters on offense. And 8 of their starters on defense. And they took one of the better teams in the league down to a poor play call on a two point conversation.

1. Wentz was terrific in this game. Forget the stats. Forget the fumble, the guy is flat out a fighter. He put this team of no nothings from WaWa and and the ACK a Me (ACME) on his back and brought this team to a point where they really should have won. A dropped TD by Sanders on a perfect throw, a dropped 50 plus yard pass by Hightower that at least gets them in field goal position but of course there is no give me that Elliot hits it as he is a slump and missing field goals he normally makes. You can't leave a minimum of 13 points more than likely 17 points on the field and win games. None of this is Wentz fault. The guy was under constant pressure. He dropped back 45 times was sacked 6 times and maybe one time he could have thrown it away, He was hit another 20 times. That is way too much.

2. Fulgham is flat out a player. The guy plays with toughness, He had a drop in this game so what. He has a chemistry with Wentz.

3. For the 500 hundred time I am ripping Jim Schwartz. He simply does not have his players ready to play. Yes the linebackers are not good, but I will tell you its more than that. This cushion his defensive backs gives is too much. The situational awareness is terrible on this team. The big thing is this. It seems like every time there beat up offense missing so many players finally scores, they allow the other team to come right back down and score again. Sure there are some good things but I think another Defensive coordinator would get more out of these players. Been saying it for years. Schwartz defense is a problem.

4. Doug was putrid in this game. So many examples. QB sneak when his offensive line was being driven back at least two the three yards on every play was a poor call. Going for it with 9 minutes left at their own 25 once again a poor call. Running the same exact play on the two point conversations one with Hurts and then coming back to it with Wentz with the same exact result. Again poor play calling. This team was close in this game because of Carson, because of Fulgham and even Sanders big run and JJAW recovering, Even Hightower making the big catch later in the game. I am not seeing him scheming guys open. Most of what is happening is Carson running for his life making plays. Kind of like when Randal Cunningham was here.

5. The amount of injuries this team has suffered is stunning. Last year it was because we are old. Well, Discoll, Wallace, Sanders, Pryor, Dillard, Reagor etc. are young players. Why does this team have such a hard time with injuries. And its not just injuries its cluster injuries. Most teams can lose a player at each position and survive. But when you are down to your third left tackle, 3rd right tackle, 2nd left guard and your 5th right guard (Yes five, Brooks, Peters, Pryor, Herbig who moved to LG and now Brown). Its really tough to win. Then you go from having two of the better Tight Ends in football to a guy who I never heard of in Groom catching a TD and Richard Rodgers. Top 4 wide outs, Jeffrey, Jackson, Reagor and Goodwin (Covid opt out). Your top RB was out half the game. Your starting CB Maddox, your back CB in Williams, two safeties missed time in Wallace and Mills. Epps and Ford were already on the IR. Riley is not a great LB but he was out. I mean its really getting out of control. I think they have 15 guys on the IR. I know injuries happen but this is out of control.
    Its really hard to replace 20 guys in a season Thing about this, every game this year they have lost at least 3 players. They are on pace to lose 48 players or an entire roster this year. Now some will come back and some won't but that is outrageous.

Overall they are what their record says they are. 1-4-1. Right now they are a top 10 pick in the draft. In fact I know this is funny but they could just as easy win this division. Win the next three and they are in first place. Lose the next three and they are a top 5 pick in the draft.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

You pretty much covered things for me also Taz. I am 50/50 on the QB sneak though. Carson is a big guy and almost always can get a yard. However, you are correct in that the OL was getting pushed back. Lane Johnson seemed to have been the last piece of glue holding that line together at all. And, he has not really been healthy all year.

To be honest, I am stunned this team is staying as competitive as they are. The Steelers and Ravens should have completely blown us out. If the Eagles were healthy, I think they would be 4-1.

Comment

At least some no name didn't carve us up, well maybe their #2TE but he wasn't nearly as effective as Claypool. I almost turned the game off but decided to just stick with it. Glad I did as they showed heart. More injuries just won't surprise me. If they happen, so be it. This will give the young depth on the roster the game experience. It has paid off already. If I was GM I wouldn't resign Ertz and would try to trade him (his injury yesterday may hurt that). Mailata can actually play and at a minimum can be a backup lineman in this league. Driscoll was also a decent pick. Fulgham is a lock for next year's roster. Sweat has finally demonstrated that he can be a good contributor. We also know Peters is done.

Couple all that with maybe a pick in the top 15 or 10 (maybe a good LB there?) and I am happy to see 2021's team. The only thing I want to see that may be controversial is more Hurts. The better he does, the more heat Wentz will get.

Comment

I was poking around other games because of how bad we played in the 1st half. But tuned back into the 4th quarter.

I agree with you on Schwartz. He needs to go. Doug has earned himself at least another year. Our training staff and/or doctors need to go. It’s too consistent to be just bad luck now.

Comment

The injuries have me wondering about the practice field turf or conditions. Is there a flaw in the conditions that could beleading to all the injuries?

Comment

Even when Wentz throws the ball away he doesn't look comfortable doing it. I continue to believe he needs continuous coaching and reminding about sliding and throwing the ball away in order to live another day. How about the sideline run for him and the blocking he showed. He also wanted to lead block for Scott on another run and was waving for Scott to follow him. Footwork issues are another thing I think he is having difficulty with right now.
            Fulgham has certainly come up big but so did Ward last year. They are both certainly keepers but I don't see either as a real #1 who teams are afraid of. I am hoping Reagor returning and Hightower showing he can start to catch the ball when thrown to him will give us a respectable foursome at WR.
            I think the DL held their own yesterday. Sweat shows he is a keeper and Graham is a stud but aging. Barnett will always be okay but I don't think he is destined for stardom. They are also strong on the interior. Slay is good even though he got called on a bad PI call. Everyone else is really replaceable although you can't replace them all at once. I just don't think Doug is going to bail on Schwartz
            There were a number of calls I didn't like. Carson on fourth certainly. If I was going to run that play for two points I would've had Hurts doing it-- maybe they don't run into each other that way. And I posted in the game thread that I thought it far too early to go for it on 4th with 9 1/2 minutes left
            I don't understand the injuries. My understanding is that they went out and poached some high end guys from other medical/conditioning staffs last off season. Maybe they need to call Chip and ask about that Navy Seal that he had making milkshakes or whatever

Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Not sure how the practice field would lead to game time injuries on different fields fred. You may be onto something though because short of shitty training and medical staffs I just don’t know how we go three straight years with never ending injuries! The Eagles are losing an average of 3 starters per game that equals 48 starters over the season. That’s 5 less than the whole frigging roster!!! WTF is going on with this team?!?!?!
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

And yes I know we turned over the whole medical staff in the last two years but the results are the same. My advice is to het EVERYONE doing yoga and an hour of intense stretching every day. Look if Brian Elliott and Carter Hart can drop into a full split and twist into a knot to make a save numerous times every game and be just fine to do it again the next night, surely Jackson and Jeffery can run down the field for an hour a week without needing medical attention! Whatever the Flyers goalies are doing the Eagles should duplicate!
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                  And yes I know we turned over the whole medical staff in the last two years but the results are the same. My advice is to het EVERYONE doing yoga and an hour of intense stretching every day. Look if Brian Elliott and Carter Hart can drop into a full split and twist into a knot to make a save numerous times every game and be just fine to do it again the next night, surely Jackson and Jeffery can run down the field for an hour a week without needing medical attention! Whatever the Flyers goalies are doing the Eagles should duplicate!
                  I think maybe the focus should be on stretching and not weights but that could just be the hippie Californian in me.

let’s not go back to the sports nutrition shakes though.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post

I think maybe the focus should be on stretching and not weights but that could just be the hippie Californian in me.

let’s not go back to the sports nutrition shakes though.
                    or anything else Chip Kelly
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I am not sure how old or new the practice field is but a poor surface there could be putting stress on joints, ligaments, and tendons that makes players more susceptible to injuries on the field and doesn't allow them to heal properly when they go back out on that practice surface during the week. At this point, you have to take it all into account. And there are plenty of young players getting injured too so it is NOT just the age of the players. Stretching should be a big emphasis but I'm sure it is. I can't imagine the Eagles training and conditioning staffs are doing things much differently than other teams. This is just bad luck but we are used to that as Eagles fans.

We really need an elite LB. That is need number one heading into next year. If the Birds can't see that now they never will. Imagine this defense with a guy like Roquan Smith on it. These LBs for the most part are unblocked and running free they just can't get there to make the plays. They have the best DT group in the game. It would be nice to have another edge guy but they are good enough there too. They need a LB that can run and cover.

The OL is better than we can hope for with all the injuries. The pressure was coming from Campbell and the right side which is on Jamon Brown who just sucks.... but what are you gonna do. You have no other options at this point. You have to try and get through this week without Lane Johnson and hope next week against the Cowboys he and maybe Peters or someone else can play that RG spot. Herbig and JM are doing ok on the left side.

Carson played maybe his best game as an Eagle Sunday. The stats don't say so but this town fell in love with Carson Sunday. How could you not.

Hightower is a rookie and is going to make mistakes but at this point he better not make another one. Fulgham needs to play even when the other guys come back.

Ertz is done. He is just done. Move on. Draft a TE2 in the third round and move on.

Sanders needs a backup. Boston Scott is a nice kid but he is not good enough.

Lastly... Doug has very little feel for the game at times. Maybe 2017-18 was all Frank Reich. I don't know but some of the play calls are real head scratchers.

Lastly... part two... I'm growing concerned about Jake Elliott. 52 yarders must be made.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                        Even when Wentz throws the ball away he doesn't look comfortable doing it. I continue to believe he needs continuous coaching and reminding about sliding and throwing the ball away in order to live another day. How about the sideline run for him and the blocking he showed. He also wanted to lead block for Scott on another run and was waving for Scott to follow him. Footwork issues are another thing I think he is having difficulty with right now.

He never has looked comfortable throwing the ball away. That is what makes him who he is, He never gives up on a play. Good or bad that is who he is. Sliding yeah maybe he should at times but if he slides late in the game he never gets the 40 yard gain. Sure his footwork is off but I blame that more on bad habits because of the bad offensive line play in front of him. He hardly has time to step into throws anymore. When he does he is accurate. The o line the last two years just has not been good. Sure some of it is on him but for the most part they are getting way too much pressure.

Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I saw Mahomes be smart yesterday on his runs. You want to play a long time, gotta do smart stuff instead of tough stuff.

Im a little old school and it drives me nuts that running backs go out of bounds because I used to watch Walter Payton deliver hits. But now that everyone is a Mack truck out there, it’s better to just step on out.

Comment

Working...
                          X