Eagles Vs Giants Game Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles Vs Giants Game Observations

A win is a win is a win. It won't be easy from here on out, they are not going to win elegantly as some in the media want. This is a very banged up team that is just trying to survive. I got into with a writer on Twitter last night when he told me that the Eagles are a better team than the Giants. Not the version that was on the field last night. Except for QB, center and Fulgham I would have taken all of the Giants players they started on offense over the Eagles. Defensively they are a pretty close team.

1. Wentz had a good game. Not a great game and not a poor game a good game. I don't think people really understand just how hard it is to play the QB position in this league in a timing offense when you have Joe from Wawa and a few others playing out there. Wentz was on the run the entire night. But somehow he found a way to win the game. That is the mark of a very good QB. Sure the INT will drive you crazy, You have to look at what led up to the INT though. He once again was running for his life back there. Overall its a solid B+ night.

2. The offensive line was Putrid last night. Maliata was HORRIBLE. He was getting beat by no names on just about every play. Opeta was terrible. Kelce struggled. Its the entire line. They had a few times when they gave Wentz the time needed and Wentz completed those passes. The issue with this team right now more than anything is the offensive line. They can't pass block they can't run block. Wentz has to be a hero in order for them to even complete a pass. Oh one more thing on Wentz, if he was to throw the ball away as the throw the ball away ground wants, this team struggles to score 7 points last night.

3. The defensive line was putrid as well last night. Sure Brandon Graham makes the strip sack play at the end but other than that, they really did not play well. Certainly not up to the amount of money they make. Jones who is not a good QB had time in the pocket most of the night. I think he was hit a total of 7 times. This is against a not very good offensive line.

4. Darrius Slay did not have a good night last night. He got beat several times, got called for an holding penalty. Its going to happen in this league. Certain receivers give guys a hard time. Slayton gave Slay all he could handle.

5. Why teams don't run more mis direction against the Eagles I don't understand. The 80 yard run that the ghost of Reggie White tackled Jones on was a mis direction. Our defensive ends bite way to hard on those fakes. Look for a ton more of that going forward. That has to be fixed.

6. Fulgham had another excellent game against another top notch CB. He is for real but I will say he has to come up with that ball in the end zone that went through his hands. Maybe he doesn't get his feet down but he has to catch it.

7. Howie needs to go out and get a big running back. When you are relying on the QB to get you short yardage plays no matter how big he is, its not going to work out well. Maybe bring up Holyfield from the practice squad and give him a shot. They need a big body back.

8. The officials had a rough night. After a ticky tacky call against the Eagles in the end zone that resulted in a TD for the Giants, an obvious tug on the back of Butler and interference was not called. It should have been. On the first Giants TD an obvious hold on Curry was not called (Even Chris long pointed that out on Twitter). The spot on the ball before another TD was a yard up from where it should have been. Doug throw the challenge flag but the refs missed that. How that wasn;t a Personal Foul on that cheap shot on Jackson was not deemed a late hit I have no idea. That kid on the Giants should get a nice fine this week. It was way after Jackson was down.

9.Finally Dougs play calling has been really bad. Now I have to give him a little bit of a pass on this. Its really hard to call plays when you don't know who is available from play to play. The amount of injuries are just mind boggling. But the thing that really is bothering me is everything he is running for the most part seems to be intermediate and long routes. Yet is o line can't block for that. Continuing to run up the middle with a 5ft 6 guy again makes no sense. The Jalen Hurts plays do nothing but HURT the offense (sorry I couldn't resist). I loved the first play of the game to Jackson. But they never came back to, never even faked it. How about trying that with Hurts? Especially if Wentz takes the snap in a short shotgun. Then it makes the defense think even more.

Overall this team is 2-4-1. They are not a good team but they are a team that fights. If they can get some talent back they could very well be a good to very good team by the end of the year.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Doug seems to be suffering from what my biggest Andy Reid criticism was when he was here, basically that he wouldn't adapt to the situation. He needs to look at the way NO uses Taysom HIll and use Hurts like that. Keep the defense guessing so you dont get Carson killed. He acts like he's calling plays for a Hall of Fame o-line and we barely have a functioning one.

Comment

Very disappointed in the OL last night, despite their inexperience. I was hoping they could start building a bit of chemistry after having to play the Steelers and Ravens. It looks like Lane Johnson is going be hobbled at times for the rest of the year. If we can't put together even an average OL, every game is going to be a struggle.

We should be getting Reagor back for Dallas. Maybe even Goedert and Sanders. But if the OL can't get it together somewhat, it won't really matter. The Cowboys will be in the same boat. They have tons of WR talent. But, their OL is struggling just like ours is. That should be an interesting game.

Comment

I'm no doctor but if we sit Johnson out against Dallas to give him 2.5 weeks would that help? The guy is trying but last night he didn't get any push because his one leg just can't get it done. He needs time to heal and rolling him out there each week to come out every other series just isn't working.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
          I'm no doctor but if we sit Johnson out against Dallas to give him 2.5 weeks would that help? The guy is trying but last night he didn't get any push because his one leg just can't get it done. He needs time to heal and rolling him out there each week to come out every other series just isn't working.
          I heard this morning that he is now having an MRI done on his knee. Not expected to be anything serious. But, we have heard that before.

Comment

I wish i could embed a tweet but i cannot: https://twitter.com/Skeeter696969/st...894007808?s=20

Comment

I thought Opeta and Herbig got beat on last night and Kelce and Mialata paid the price worrying about helping out. One bad Apple.....

Doug infuriates be using little Boston Scott without a lead blocker on 3rd and shorts. Its too easy to stop the little guy with backup olineman get some size in there

Slay is one of my favorites. Glad we got him. he gets banged up and is back in there asap. I do think our scheme and off coverage is a terrible fit for man coverage guys like Slay. Our corners are always 5-10 yards back

thought the D line was OK. although Barnett goes wide waaaaaay too much. Who's to blame for that Jones open field? One of the safeties? A LB? Yes Graham got tooled on with the fake, but that should be easy for a fast QB against a D lineman. where was the help

sucks for DJax, but I honestly don't think he brings much Reagor doesn't bring. Ditto Jeffrey and Fulgham

would be great if we could trade one of them. I doubt we can

Comment

If there is a shining light to this cluster of a season will be Fulgham and Ward. If Reagor pans out, we will have Ward and Fulgham in the mix and they both look to meet a need. It really is hard to gauge what Wentz has done. He was running all night. leading the league in injuries stresses everyone. Damn it was ugly

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
                  If there is a shining light to this cluster of a season will be Fulgham and Ward. If Reagor pans out, we will have Ward and Fulgham in the mix and they both look to meet a need. It really is hard to gauge what Wentz has done. He was running all night. leading the league in injuries stresses everyone. Damn it was ugly
                  Don't sleep on Hightower either. I think he is starting to come around. Its amazing that one of the times they actually gave Wentz time that Hightower beat his man deep, 2nd time in two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                    I thought Opeta and Herbig got beat on last night and Kelce and Mialata paid the price worrying about helping out. One bad Apple.....

Doug infuriates be using little Boston Scott without a lead blocker on 3rd and shorts. Its too easy to stop the little guy with backup olineman get some size in there

Slay is one of my favorites. Glad we got him. he gets banged up and is back in there asap. I do think our scheme and off coverage is a terrible fit for man coverage guys like Slay. Our corners are always 5-10 yards back

thought the D line was OK. although Barnett goes wide waaaaaay too much. Who's to blame for that Jones open field? One of the safeties? A LB? Yes Graham got tooled on with the fake, but that should be easy for a fast QB against a D lineman. where was the help

sucks for DJax, but I honestly don't think he brings much Reagor doesn't bring. Ditto Jeffrey and Fulgham

would be great if we could trade one of them. I doubt we can
                    Mialata was really bad last night. I was concentrating in on him and Golden had a field day with him. Now of course he gets traded to the Cardinals and well Golden gets to beat his ass again in a few weeks. It boggles my mind how they give him zero help. So many times last night it was 5 lineman on 6 rushers with long routes.

Comment

If you don't have a decent offensive line, you don't have shit. It's bad enough that they are so far down the depth chart. But, the constant re-shuffling due to injuries prevents the guys that can play from developing chemistry together. Mailata did have a bad game, but as noted, Doug didn't give him much help out there. I feel like if they can get 5 guys settled in, they won't be great, but they can play well enough for the offense to function.

The defense is a problem. They have personnel issues, and scheme issues. I'm wondering if offensive coordinators have seen enough of Schwartz that they have him figured out.

Jake Elliot is a problem. You don't miss a 29 yard FG, with your season on the line, and good weather conditions. Good snap, good hold. They need to move on from this guy in the offseason if he doesn't make a serious turn around.

Right now, as I see it, the Eagles are still a bad team. They might get a few guys healthy, but they are still going to be seriously flawed. I'm not so sure I even want them to win this crappy division at this point. I think I'd rather have the higher draft picks, and let some other sad sack team play the 1st place schedule next year.

Comment

No one can envy Wentz when you are trying to make a pass to your midget RB over the middle--of course the likelihood of it getting batted down goes up. And he spends as much time on his ass as the D spends on the field. And a whole bunch of his passes are made with people hanging on him or pulling on his legs. He is in a tough spot. But I disagree about throwing the ball away. That INT was definitely a throw away as was that poor decision when he threw across the field when he wasn't even set. A hell of an arm display but bad decision. And there were probably four other times when throwing it away was the best decision. Wouldn't have hindered points scored (and actually throwing it away instead of the INT would probably have added points). I will continue to look for a QB coach or OC change in order to help Wentz during the game. I will say I am not sure I ever saw a QB take more punishment than him yet still fight every play. Common thoughts have always been hit the QB a couple times to make him gunshy. Wentz just comes back harder
                        I don't know EB. First I think it might be expensive to get rid of Elliott next year since I thought he signed a pretty good contract. Besides that I agree that was a brutal miss as was the one last week just before half. But the one in Pitt was a tough kick in that stadium. I'm curious to see how he does the rest of the year
                        I agree Doug is in a tough spot for play calling due to the personnel. Have to do something different with Hurts as teams have tape on his four plays. Too many Carson run calls but he is the only big guy they have. I wouldn't mind seeing Wentz throw a backward pass to Hurts or Ward and have them look for Hightower downfield. Speaking of Hightower; he missed a couple passes earlier this year. But I think he is getting more comfortable in the NFL and has made a couple nice catches the last two weeks. I think the birds are setting up to have a real nice WR corps with Fulgham, Ward, Reagor, Hightower.
                        I wouldn't have thought it but I'm starting to think we may be seeing the last of Ertz. That would be too bad as he did a real nice job for the birds but he has value on the market.
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

watching the game right now, as EB noted, you can't develop chemistry with linemen shuffling in and out. After the opening drive, I see glimpses of potential. There were a couple plays where Mailata and Opeta blew guys off the ball. Doug helped them a lot by calling quick stuff off of motion. Drive 2 Wentz misses a wide open Fulgham and then takes a coverage sack where once again he needs to throw it away. Can't fault the line. Drive 3 great ob blocking on a screen to Scott, good pocket on a pass to Scott, hold by Opeta, Good pocket on pass to Huntley, Grounding on Wentz after Clement fails to block a blitz.Clean pocket on pass to Rodgers.Nice ob blocking on pass to Ward. Mailata puts his man on the ground on a three yard run by Scott. Ball batted down , clean pocket. At this point I'm satisfied with the line. The times they gave up some pressure was during blitz's. This IMO is a chemistry thing. Drive 4 Mailata looked bad on a blitz on Wentz' ill advised throw back against the grain. Good blocking on a 7 yd run by Clement. Good blocking on Wentz draw followed by a Huntley run. Good block by Kelce on Huntley run for a first. Mailata beaten wide on Wentz sack. Wentz, poor INT. Look, time will tell, but I see enough promise from the 8-13 offensive linemen to think they will get better. Will continue to watch the game and see how it goes, but Wentz decision making IMO is more troubling than anything.

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                            watching the game right now, as EB noted, you can't develop chemistry with linemen shuffling in and out. After the opening drive, I see glimpses of potential. There were a couple plays where Mailata and Opeta blew guys off the ball. Doug helped them a lot by calling quick stuff off of motion. Drive 2 Wentz misses a wide open Fulgham and then takes a coverage sack where once again he needs to throw it away. Can't fault the line. Drive 3 great ob blocking on a screen to Scott, good pocket on a pass to Scott, hold by Opeta, Good pocket on pass to Huntley, Grounding on Wentz after Clement fails to block a blitz.Clean pocket on pass to Rodgers.Nice ob blocking on pass to Ward. Mailata puts his man on the ground on a three yard run by Scott. Ball batted down , clean pocket. At this point I'm satisfied with the line. The times they gave up some pressure was during blitz's. This IMO is a chemistry thing. Drive 4 Mailata looked bad on a blitz on Wentz' ill advised throw back against the grain. Good blocking on a 7 yd run by Clement. Good blocking on Wentz draw followed by a Huntley run. Good block by Kelce on Huntley run for a first. Mailata beaten wide on Wentz sack. Wentz, poor INT. Look, time will tell, but I see enough promise from the 8-13 offensive linemen to think they will get better. Will continue to watch the game and see how it goes, but Wentz decision making IMO is more troubling than anything.

So just as you say the offensive line needs to develop chemistry so does Wentz with the ever changing cast. Again , Wentz is not going to throw the ball away. Its not the way he plays QB. Brett Farve is a hall of famer and he never gave up on a play. You really can't pass judgment on his decision making unless you know every single play call and where the ball is suppose to go. I love when arm chair QB (Not saying you are BTW musicman), say he had so in so wide open. Yeah but where was so in so in his progression and when did he come open. So many times a guy come open after he is the read, there is rarely time to go through 5 progressions and then come back. Wentz is not perfect far from it. But he is a grinder, he is gamer and he is making chicken salad out of chicken shit. I will continue to say he is a top 10 QB in this league. Not many QB's would be able to do what he has done the last few weeks with what he has had out on the field with him. We all saw the way he played with a good cast around him in 2017. He has yet to have a cast as good as that around him since then.

The line was pathetic again even with your writeup its subjective. When you say Clement fails or Scott or XYZ its chemistry. We don't always know if its their responsibility. I saw several times where Mailata went inside to double team with Opeta on one guy while letting the free player go. No RB in the backfield. Is that Mailata, Is that Kelce, is that the play call? I didn't see much of that when Peters played left tackle. I see it as a feel for the game with Mialta, He has some ability but he has not played much football. He is going to have times where he puts a man on the ground and times when he is outmatched. More times than not he was outmatched on Thursday night. Its a learning process.

Honestly the biggest issues in my mind on the this team in order are:
                            1. The Defense in particular Jim Schwartz. It has been this way for several years. Too many points given up to a bad Giants team. Letting a QB run for 80 yards on a simple miss direction boot leeg is inexcusable. The only way they win is if they somehow get a turnover on the last drive. Overall that is not sustainable. Speaking fo turnovers they get way too few, they rarely get three and outs and that effects field position. They just don't complement the offense really well. And since this is the more healthy unit you would expect them to step up and not give up the points they are giving up week in and week out.
                            2. The offensive line in its current form without Brooks, Johnson, Seumolo and Dillard, Top Backups such as Peters and Driscoll is just not very good. Knor should any of us expect them to be 10 deep in offensive lineman. It simply doesn't happen in todays NFL. It is a major issue. Health, Health, Health. Get healthy, Wentz gets the extra split second he needs to pass the football and the Eagles offense looks much better. They can run the ball better etc.
                            3. On the term of Health, Health , Health how much it is effecting Dougs play calling? I would bet a ton. The offense right now is resembling the Buddy Ryan offense where he used to tell Randall give me five great plays a game. Its almost like Wentz has to pull out 5 great plays a game to even give this team a chance. The 2 point play calling the aggressiveness we all love with Doug is great when you have a good football team. The team that is on the field right now is not a good football team. They are a bunch of street fighters which I love but street fighters lose at times.
                            4. Howie is an issue to. His draft picks simply can't stay healthy enough to be on the field and as luck would have it the ones who are staying healthy are busts like Gerry and JJAW. With Dillard, Reagor and Sanders out, JJAW a deep backup and Hurts an experiment not getting much production out of 5 high picks the last two years is horrible. It was actually nice to see D. Taylor on the field the other night. He should get more playing time. Not taking Justin Jefferson looks worse and worse by the week. Even when Reagor does get healthy I don't see him as the volume catching machine that Jefferson is. I see Reagor as a younger DeSean. Speaking of the free agent contracts and resignings of the past few years have really hamstrung this team going forward So when I said its going to be win ugly grind out games going forward I meant more than this year. Howie is going to have to find a whole lot of Travis Fulghams to make up for the mess he has them in.

Comment

Working...
                            X