Famous Athlete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Athlete

Driving around yesterday I heard a conversation about the most famous athlete. Not the best necessarily but the most famous athlete in the US. Lots of names tossed about but one name was Ali. Now, I don't think there is any way to say this was the best QB in history or the best team or defense or whatever. You can name ten or so but in that group it is tough in my mind to differentiate number one from five or ten. However, I have to say I can't disagree with Ali being the most famous athlete. Whether it was his stand on the draft, his skill in the ring, his mouth, Howard Cosell, or what but I think everyone in the US knew Mohammed Ali. And that was in an era of three TV stations and no interweb or instaface.
    Is there a more famous athlete???
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Babe Ruth..... even little kids today, housewives of most generations .... know the name, imho.

Comment

In ten years or so our generation will be smaller and Ali and the Babe won’ t Be remembered, then some asshat with gold chains and a posse will be who is remembered
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Didn't think of Ruth but yea I can easily see that
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

I'm leaning with MM. This really is a generational thing. Ali, Babe, and others are being replaced with MJ, Shaq, Tiger, Kaep, Serena, etc. I do believe the days of baseball players being the most famous is in the past. Football has become so limiting that seeing players faces is not what it once was. Basketball is everywhere, the NBA is marketing the hell out of it and I think most of the future memorable folks will be there or in a sport yet to really take off. All that being said, At this point in time, Babe, Ali and MJ are at the top of my list, but are not at the top when I start rattling off most famous. That list seems to defer to a more contemporary list.

Comment

I think Jordan tops the list. But Ali is a very very close 2nd. With Babe Ruth next. perhaps Tiger. Theese are athletes that trensecended their sports to be cultural icons.

Comment

I think that it's still the Babe.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I think In order to judge this, you have to guess as to what % of the population ag the time knew the name. if we’re talking worldwide that takes Ruth out of the equation.

so I would guess:

WW: Ali, Pele, Jordan
                US only: Ali, Jordan

Comment

Jordan was certainly a great BB player and popular name but I don't think he holds a candle to Ali and Ruth. Across the spectrum, all ages and all races and all economic status etc, I think if you ask who was Babe or who was Ali or who was Jordan my guess is Jordan is least known. One of those things that will probably never be known though
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

This question is almost impossible to answer because as others have said it is a generational thing. If you asked my grandfather he would say Ruth. My Dad might say Ali. I could see Jordan as the most famous and impactful. My son is likely to say LeBron or Kobe. It really depends on who you get to see and how they impact your thoughts on the game.

I will say that if we expand the parameters and ask who the most famous US athlete is worldwide I think it goes to Ali. He was as big a celebrity as the 60’s-70’s era could imagine. He was a massive star in every major country and many small African nations. In an era without internet and social media he still managed to dominate conversations during his career in every corner if the world.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                    X