Is Carson the Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Carson the Future?

I hope everyone is having a good holiday and staying healthy.

With recent (media created) controversy, do people think Carson Wentz is the future of the Philadelphia Eagles? Should he be? If not, what can the Eagles get in a trade for him? With the team facing significant cap issues next year, is there a thought of a “reload”? If the franchise has faith in Hurts, would they look to get younger, better and cheaper through the draft? I think all this talk about Wentz moving on is poppycock, but admittedly there is a case to be made the other way. What do people think should happen and will happen?
    Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

With the trend now pointing towards mobile QBs the Birds could do it with Hurts but I doubt it.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I've probably been more excited for Carson as our QB than any other Eagles QB in my 40 years of being an Eagles fan. Good guy. Smart. Talented.

I'm a little torn this year. He's having the only bad season in his career thus far. Inaccurate, careless, in games that were real close and winnable.
      All in a time in which the NFL has changed so much with all the rules bending to QBs. Look how fast Mahomes ascended. Kyler Murray. Burrow and Herbert. He's getting outplayed by all of them in his 5th season.

Then you do have the drastic changes at O-Line. Miles missing games. Ertz and Goedert missing games. Alshon and Desean missing games, but probably shouldn't be on this team anyway.
      The inability for the coaches to stick with the run and putting too much on the QB

I still think he's the guy. But like any QB he needs help from the Offense, coaching, the defense, and special teams. It's a team game and all 4 have let him down at times. They need to get better and he needs to be better as well.

I'd stick with him. But I will admit I'm actually OK with us drafting Hurts now. we need a fallback just in case.

I hope the team feels the same and we do not trade him. because I think it would be a mistake. I'd rather trade Hurts in a year or two.

Comment

With 2 weeks off I would hope that they can figure out some ways to get Hurts more involved.

Comment

I think it is possible esp if they get a real good offer. Talent wise though I think he is the man and his contract isn't brutal for a franchise QB so I wouldn't do it. I'm certainly not a guru but I think I would have someone working with him on his mechanics whether it is someone on the staff or someone they bring in. I would take a realistic look at the OL. Brooks is a pro bowl kind of guy but no one makes pro bowl on IR so maybe they need to look at him and those on the roster they think can replace him. I'd look elsewhere for a replacement. The same at RB. Clement just isn't the same guy who I thought would show up this year. They need a bruiser. I'd look at who is who and see if it really is Carson that has fallen off the cliff
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

I can't decide. He had so much potential under Reich. The OL, RB or WR have had no real stability over the last few years with injuries. There needs to be stability in 2 of the three areas for a fair assessment. My biggest concern is that he does not allow himself to play within himself. He places too much pressure on every snap and that has led to errors. I think one of the best at playing what they are given is Aaron Rodgers. He is content with a dump pass, throwing the ball away and letting getting it all back next snap. Carson does not have that; not yet, but Rodgers ws note even starting when he was Carson's age.

Comment

I think this season more than any of his other 4 has shown me that Wentz is not, and will never be in the same category as Rodgers, Brees and Brady. Wentz can be very good but he has shown that he will never be that top tier QB. That' s OK though. He has the potential to pick up the team and turn around games, but he is so inconsistent that you can't ever be sure which Wentz will show up in any given week. We haven't seen him play an entire playoff game with high expectations and that extreme pressure, and that unknown is concerning. After 5 years Wentz needs to be able to take control of a game and a situation and produce no matter who is lined up in front of him or who he is throwing the ball to. His continuous poor decisions and lack of some of the fundamentals (like throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack, and not forcing a throw across his body) are the most concerning for me. At the same time I haven't seen enough of Hurts to have any idea if he would be a better option. Doug and the trainers bear more of the responsibility for Carson's performance this season than in previous seasons.

Given that I would hang on to Carson and really focus on getting his head in the right place and making sure we have a solid Oline that will give him the time to see the field and make the throws. Taking that step will allow them to begin to focus on ways to improve his consistency and decision making. Once we have done that we can evaluate Wentz for his own performance issues and not how he responds to game breakdowns and a steady rotation of new and often inexperienced players around him.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I may get creamed for saying this but. IMM, Wentz's biggest problem is mental quickness! I think his mental recognition and then the act is just a bit too long. maybe call it indecision, lag time, whatever you want to call it but I think there is a tiny tiny bit of delay. Like I said just in mho!

Comment

I truly believe we had finally found a franchise QB in Wentz once I saw him play. I was not sold on him when drafted. Funny I will be honest I wanted Zeke and Dak with our draft picks. Having said that I think Carson is our guy. Its a bad season but the errors can be corrected. Health of those around him on the O line and at the skill positions has been an issue. But with all the adversity he shows me he is the guy. He won games last year with a bunch of wideouts outside of Greg Ward who arent on the team this year. He built trust with guys on the practice squad, Will he be Mahomes or Rodgers? I dont think so but he can be a beter version of Staubach and will his team for wins and I think maybe a couple of Super Bowls

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                    I may get creamed for saying this but. IMM, Wentz's biggest problem is mental quickness! I think his mental recognition and then the act is just a bit too long. maybe call it indecision, lag time, whatever you want to call it but I think there is a tiny tiny bit of delay. Like I said just in mho!
                    I think that windup and slow release adds to the problem too MD.

Comment

This year Carson has definitely regressed back to his first year performance (16 td's, 14 int's) with a nearly identical QBR. I looked at Aaron Rodgers stats and he never had a year like this, even in the seasons where the Pack had injury issues. With that said, I don't think Rodgers has ever dealt with a situation like Carson is facing, especially regarding our OL. I do think that because of the OL situation especially, Carson feels that he has to do too much to keep this team afloat and that has obviously hurt him.

If this team can get and stay somewhat healthy, it will be interesting to see how Carson plays the rest of the way out. It's not too late for him. But, he won't last long if things continue as they have this season. I do expect improvement from him over these last 8 games.

I like Jalen Hurts and the draft pick is becoming more interesting as time goes on. I hated it at the time.

Here is an interesting article comparing former OU QB's Mayfield, Murray and Hurts. Coming out of college Hurts had the least NFL potential, which of course is why he didn't go higher. But, the article is interesting.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...aft-comparison

Comment

If he does what I think he should do in the second half, I am totally behind him. If he shits the bed, I might have to think about it
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

I think that windup and slow release adds to the problem too MD.
                          Agreed ! This also makes him more prone to having the ball knocked out of his hands, while his arm is cocked.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                            I agree. There is no doubt that Foles gets the ball out quicker. It takes Carson longer to process, and, as noted, he has a long windup and release.

Comment

I hate to bring this thread back up again. But, after this weekends performance, for the first time I am actually worried about Wentz as a long term quality starter here. He numbers rank at the bottom of the NFL. Injuries have taken a toll. But, things should have picked up this weekend. And, his accuracy issues (only 58%) are a huge red flag for me in addition to the turnovers.

I know that Doug and the rest of the staff said that Jalen Hurts was drafted as a quality backup role. But, I am starting to wonder whether or not they were questioning Carson's long term viability prior to this season, even though Wentz did a great job at the end of last year playing with a poor WR group.

Carson could be one more injury away from finding himself backing up Hurts. If Hurts were to come in and the team started winning, Carson could be out of a job.

Comment

Working...
                              X