Here is what I would do if I was Lurie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is what I would do if I was Lurie

This season is over. The product on the field is broken and can not be fixed immediately.

Here is what I would do immediately in order to prepare for next season.

1. Call Doug into the office and tell him he needs to give up the play calling. They need to change it up to see if they can get the offense moving. Doesn't matter who he choices to call plays, but much the same as we think they should bench Carson I think Doug needs to take a step with his play calling. He is panicking, taking too long to get plays in and that is effecting the offense
    2. I would not bench Wentz as the starter. Hurts is not ready to be a starter in this league. He is not Joe Burrow coming out of college. He was a 2nd round pick for a reason. With no preseason this year I don't think its fair to Hurts to make him the starter right now. There is much more of a chance to ruin him to. Now would I at times pull Wentz from the game and give Hurts a series. Yes a series not one play, a series. Start to finish a drive.

After the season
    1. If the offense does not start moving with a new play caller then its over for Doug. Its amazing how far he has fallen since the Super Bowl, his fall to me is even worse than Wentz. Another year no matte who he has at QB is not going to make this better.
    2. Howie needs to hire a true GM. There has been a lot of movement in the front office over the past 18 months, from Joe to the gets as the GM to Andrew to the Browns as the Gm that is a ton of turnover. I do think Lurie really trusts Howie so I don't believe he will fire him. But bringing in a real good personnel guy to be the GM makes the most sense here.

Player movement
    There is no way we can do a complete overhaul of the roster this offseason. The cap situation is not good for that. However, they could make some moves that get them under the cap and give them a situation where by 2022 they have a full reset.

1. Trade Carson Wentz to the Colts. Riech wants him, I think its good for all involved. The cap ramifications of trading Wentz are not as bad as you think. In fact they are neutral. In other words the hit equals the savings. So they could move on from Wentz without a huge cap hit. I think the Colts would be willing to deal their late first round pick plus for Wentz. Not going to get a huge hall but a first plus a player may happen. This makes sense for both teams and I do think it could happen. Also keep an eye on the Jets here. They have a late first from Seattle that they could deal for Wentz.

2. Trade Fletcher Cox to the Las Vegas for a 2nd and 4th round pick. Another high salary guy who has value especially to somebody like Las Vegas. This is less about Fletcher and more about getting some value in draft picks and also reset of the salary cap.

3. Trade Lane Johnson. Should be able to get a late first for Lane. Why trade Lane? He is getting a little older and starting to break down. The salary cap savings are needed in order to help rebuild. The draft picks also will help.

4. Trade Zach Ertz. Should be able to get a 2nd for Ertz. Contract demands and age are the issue here. Need to keep Goedert around and give him the money.

Jeffrey, DeSean, Malik Jackson are all shown the door.

This resets the cap at that point they will need to rebuild. Is Hurts the future? If not they should get a very high pick this year. Maybe they can get up to get Justin Fields or somebody like that. Right now though the concentration should be a reset to this roster and that means taking players like above marketing and trading them to reset their salary cap situation.

yes we are in a dire situation. Its the whole organization right now. Top to bottom and Lurie needs to take over immediately and start to gear this towards next year. I don't think simply changing the QB makes this team a Super Bowl contender their issues are much deeper. Its the entire organization. They need to stop living in 2017 and start living for 2021 and beyond.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

If it is me the minimum I am looking is a first, a quality player, and a high pick next year. Depending on the player that pick could be anything from a first to a third.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Wentz to the Colts makes sense to me but I don't see it happening for anything resembling a good return. Why would the Colts trade a first round pick for Wentz at this point? Maybe you could get the Colts who have some salary cap room to deal a first-rounder for Ertz and Wentz. I thought Ertz was a free agent though? We might have to throw in a third rounder or something to get them to actually pull the trigger and take that contract. Wentz is an old 27.

I don't see a team wanting Fletcher Cox contract. He is a stud still so I'm OK with keeping him. Teams would just wait for him to be cut in my opinion and that ain't gonna happen.

I also don't think Lane Johnson commands a first round pick. Maybe a second. You have to pay him and his cap number is high. I will say though Taz it is not crazy to think a team like the Jags who takes Trevor Lawrence in the first round might give you their second rounder for a proven guy like Lane. They also have the cap room and they have the additional concern of having to get to the floor of the salary cap. The issue would be concerns over Lane staying healthy. He hasn't exactly been a reliable player the last few years and I think that impacts his trade value.

I'd be interested to hear if you think they will pick up the fifth 5th year option on Barnett. I think I would at this point. When he is healthy he shows enough to me and I hate to just whiff on the guy.

They also should offer to extend Josh Sweat I think. He has proven to be a very solid player borderline starter IMO.

I would also look at extending Goedert if you can at a discount now. He can step into the Ertz role.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

As far as Barnett goes they already picked up his option. The question is will they keep him at 10 million. The answer is no. They could trade or release him. They need to shed about 35 million off the cap just to get under after rollover plus they have to shed another 10 mill plus just to draft. So they have their work cut out for them. There is no path to getting under the cap without trading at least two of the players mentioned plus releasing or trading Barnett.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

The reason Wentz is getting killed is our horseshit offensive line so there is no way I'm moving on from Lane. A lot of the offense's fault is the absence of Ertz but they might have to let him go due to salary cap matters. I'm sticking with Wentz because if we had Mahomes we'd still have the same record. Nobody can survive the injuries this year. As far as play
          calling goes they all work if executed properly. I'd like to know what happened to the RPO's that we used to run, rollouts and bootlegs? These plays remind me of MM when he was here years ago and WTF is Doug listening to him???
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

The first thing I'm doing if I'm Lurie is telling Doug that he needs to hire an actual offensive coordinator. They need another guy in the building and I would prefer that Doug hands him the play calling as well.

Doug called for a 2 point conversion when they were down by 4. I don't know how many people he's got in his ear on game day, or on what information he based that decision, but to me it's a clear indication that something is amiss. Too much analytics, whatever. But, unless the kicker is unable to make an extra point due to injury, there is absolutely no excuse for a decision like that. Period. And I think it's kind of a canary in a coal mine regarding Doug's decision making process.

Doug is making a big mistake keeping JP at LT. To me, that's another real questionable decision. If Lane is playing, Mailata should be starting at LT. First, he's not going to play worse than JP. And, it gives him an opportunity to play and get better. Move JP to RG and leave him there.

I don't know that I like the idea of trading anyone. Yes, I like the idea of getting the extra picks and drafting young talent. But, I have zero faith in the ability of the front office to draft adequate replacements. If you are trading away pro bowlers with the idea that this staff is going to draft pro bowlers to replace them, good luck with that.

As far as the play calling is concerned, to me it's about running the ball more. Run more 2 TE sets. More misdirection. More moving Wentz around. Waggle him. Run some boots, etc. Stop going 3 or 4 wide with him in shotgun, dropping back like a sitting duck while the defense tees off on him. Again and again and again.

Comment

I agree with 60 I don’t want trade Wentz or LJ and I’d like to bring back Ertz if they can get the cap worked out. I have no confidence that Howie & Co. can use any picks they may get to draft quality players. Their history says they can’t. Just ask yourself would you rather have JJAW, Reagor and Hurts or DK Metcalf and Cee Dee Lamb? That is the choice Howie had and he choose JJAW over Metcalf and Reagor & Hurts over trading up for Lamb. Put those two guys on the field together and you have one of the best WR groups in the league. Howie passed and we are paying the price for it so no, don’t trade away players for more picks that he will miss on.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Juk... the Eagles are an average team when it comes to drafting. Not bad and not good.

You have to look at the past 5-7 years.

They got it right on guys like Sanders, Goedert, Sweat, and Maddox...who is a good slot guy but overmatched outside.

Look at other guys they have drafted. Rasul Douglas, Sidney Jones, Nelson Agholor. They have ability. Why did they get good when they left here or at least better? Agholor looks like a Pro Bowl WR. Is this coaching or how they are utilized? I got no clue.

It is too early to tell on Dillard, Driscoll, Hightower, Reagor and a few others.

And guys like Barnett that you take in the middle of the first round rarely turn into world beaters. They become solid pros which is the trajectory Barnett is on. Barnett is pretty much on the same developmental path that Brandon Graham was on. Same with Mills... he is a mid round corner. He did play CB on a team that won a Super Bowl.

JJAW was a complete miss and maybe so is Jalen Hurts. I got no idea. Marcus Smith was a Chip Kelly pick. The Fireman was an Andy pick.

Wentz... I just have no clue what we have now. Maybe its the injuries or the confidence. Maybe he is not a great locker room guy and his teammates don't respect him. You know, Mark Brunell was a good player but never panned out and I was told by a good friend that covered the Redskins that Brunell was such a "God squader" that his teammates just never embraced him. Maybe Carson suffers from that.

Bottom line is this... the Eagles don't do a great job developing players or at least didn't in the past 4-6 years. That is the only way you can explain this situation. The exception to that rule appears to be the OL and DL where guys like Stoutland do a good job.

The philosophy in the draft should be if you get a chance to be in the top 10 and you are staring at a freakish athlete that hopefully fills a need you take him. And if you are picking from like the teens on into the second round you draft and hope it works out. And then you need a lot of picks because despite what the experts say you have no clue how these kids are going to transition to the NFL.

I will say this... Howie would be well served to stop trying to take players from small schools. Look at that Mack Wilson kid Sunday. A 5th round LB out of Alabama and he comes in as a rookie and starts. Look at Driscoll who played at Auburn for several years. These Power 5 kids...especially from these elite programs... are ready to come in and play quicker because every day in practice even they are probably going up against a guy that has a chance to also play in the NFL. They also get WAY BETTER position coaching.

I am not going to lay this all at Doug or Howie's feet. The position coaches get a large share of the blame and so does bad luck.

Dillard, Brooks, Desean, AJ, Malik Jackson, Ertz, Sanders, Carson, Reagor, Goedert, Lane Johnson, Isaac, Barnett... All of these guys have missed time in the past two years and most of them significant time. That is a lot of salary cap sitting on the sidelines. You can't possible have capable backups at all these positions.

Look at the 49ers. They suck too this year and it is largely due to injuries.

This year is just a big fat mulligan for the organization.

But please... PLEASE... don't make the playoffs. Lose out. I'm begging Jeff and Doug to quietly agree to do all they can to lose out.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                  Juk... the Eagles are an average team when it comes to drafting. Not bad and not good.

You have to look at the past 5-7 years.

They got it right on guys like Sanders, Goedert, Sweat, and Maddox...who is a good slot guy but overmatched outside.

Look at other guys they have drafted. Rasul Douglas, Sidney Jones, Nelson Agholor. They have ability. Why did they get good when they left here or at least better? Agholor looks like a Pro Bowl WR. Is this coaching or how they are utilized? I got no clue.

It is too early to tell on Dillard, Driscoll, Hightower, Reagor and a few others.

And guys like Barnett that you take in the middle of the first round rarely turn into world beaters. They become solid pros which is the trajectory Barnett is on. Barnett is pretty much on the same developmental path that Brandon Graham was on. Same with Mills... he is a mid round corner. He did play CB on a team that won a Super Bowl.

JJAW was a complete miss and maybe so is Jalen Hurts. I got no idea. Marcus Smith was a Chip Kelly pick. The Fireman was an Andy pick.

Wentz... I just have no clue what we have now. Maybe its the injuries or the confidence. Maybe he is not a great locker room guy and his teammates don't respect him. You know, Mark Brunell was a good player but never panned out and I was told by a good friend that covered the Redskins that Brunell was such a "God squader" that his teammates just never embraced him. Maybe Carson suffers from that.

Bottom line is this... the Eagles don't do a great job developing players or at least didn't in the past 4-6 years. That is the only way you can explain this situation. The exception to that rule appears to be the OL and DL where guys like Stoutland do a good job.

The philosophy in the draft should be if you get a chance to be in the top 10 and you are staring at a freakish athlete that hopefully fills a need you take him. And if you are picking from like the teens on into the second round you draft and hope it works out. And then you need a lot of picks because despite what the experts say you have no clue how these kids are going to transition to the NFL.

I will say this... Howie would be well served to stop trying to take players from small schools. Look at that Mack Wilson kid Sunday. A 5th round LB out of Alabama and he comes in as a rookie and starts. Look at Driscoll who played at Auburn for several years. These Power 5 kids...especially from these elite programs... are ready to come in and play quicker because every day in practice even they are probably going up against a guy that has a chance to also play in the NFL. They also get WAY BETTER position coaching.

I am not going to lay this all at Doug or Howie's feet. The position coaches get a large share of the blame and so does bad luck.

Dillard, Brooks, Desean, AJ, Malik Jackson, Ertz, Sanders, Carson, Reagor, Goedert, Lane Johnson, Isaac, Barnett... All of these guys have missed time in the past two years and most of them significant time. That is a lot of salary cap sitting on the sidelines. You can't possible have capable backups at all these positions.

Look at the 49ers. They suck too this year and it is largely due to injuries.

This year is just a big fat mulligan for the organization.

But please... PLEASE... don't make the playoffs. Lose out. I'm begging Jeff and Doug to quietly agree to do all they can to lose out.

I agree with almost everything you said. I wanted to mention Aggy earlier, they played him in the slot here 1 season and I believe it was his best year until this season. The guy could end up in the pro bowl. These guys seem to spend too many of their pics on square pegs to pound into their round hole system. I wish we had an organization like the Steelers or Ravens who get their type of players and rarely whiff on a pic, don’t spend a fortune to bring in FAs who don’t pan out and just keep, keeping on even though they rarely have a pick above 15
                  We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

The Steelers make average players great. Their defense is always awesome and they find receivers out of nowhere that always are hits. Howie hit gold once but for the most part he's still the ferret. And AW I agree!!! Do your shopping in the SEC and Big 10!

As far as Aggie goes he missed 2 passes again that he should have had in the KC game. I'm glad that he's done here. I always liked Carr and Gruden is doing a great job with him and the whole team for that matter.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                    X