What will Lurie Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will Lurie Do?

Lets face it, Lurie has some major decisions to make this offseason. This team is 4-9-1. Their franchise QB is broken, their rookie QB looks like he could be a franchise QB. His coach has too many flaws, his GM struggles to draft. Their salary cap is in the worst shape its been in year. So now what? Does Lurie blow it all up and replace everyone? Does he keep some and get rid of others. What happens with the QB?

I personally would blow it up. The overall tone of this team this year has not been good. From injuries, to the QB regressing to ultimately putting in your 2nd round pick at QB in a non pressure situation as the team was for all intensive purposes done for the year. This team is inherently broken right now. When we talk of injuries its always about the medical end. Maybe we have to take a look at the training end of things and I am not talking about cardio training. How are practices run, training camp etc. That is on the coach. Now lets talk about the QB, yes Wentz has to take a lot of the blame for his play no doubt. However, how did he get broken? Was it the plethora of new voices in his head? Is it the coach trying to tailor him to his offense vs. having an offense tailored to the QB. I don't know, but I do know this, we had a MVP type QB that as close as the last 4 games last year and even say in the Giants win this year played like a franchise QB. Generally they don't just lose it. Its not physical as he can still make the throws necessary, he actually ran more this year than last, does he have Hurts speed no he doesn't but he did run more. We can not go into another draft with Howie thinking he is smarter than others. Lets face it, Reagor has been the worst of the 1st round WR this year. Take Justin Jefferson and this team is different this year. Maybe Wentz is still playing maybe not. Drafting Hurts was a mistake no matter how well he plays. Unless of course they decided to move on from Wentz then. Either way no way I can say its a good move You draft Taylor on round 3 then don't play him.

I would fire Howie and Doug. I would trade Wentz, Cox, Ertz and whomever else I could get anything for. I would use 2021 as a reset. Hurts would be the starting QB. Reagor and Fulgham at WR starting with Watkins, Hightower and Ward mixed in. The team is flawed from top to bottom. Need to fix it.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I would be shocked if they fire Doug. The team plays hard for him, even when the times are tough (injuries). I also think the amount of injuries will be heavily factored into retaining Doug. And, he won a SB. Howie and Jeff seem pretty tied at the hip. I think it is unlikely that he goes either.

Because of the major cap issues next year, they will have to blow up a big part of this team anyway. No matter what happens, we are looking at at least a partial rebuild because of the cap. in that regard, it is good that we are getting a good look at all the young guys this season.

I would like to see Doug have a least 1 single season where they didn't have an abnormal amount of injuries. Of course, nothing can top the amount of injuries this season. Its really just unbelievable.

Comment

I've read a lot of posts the last couple of days. People are fired up that Hurts is Wilson only better. Doug is the man, the secondary looks great, the OL plays their ass off, yada, yada. Three weeks ago the secondary was the worst in the league except Doug was worse than the secondary and our damn QB couldn't be any worse, yada yada. Maybe they are all stars that just need to go somewhere they can be used properly like Agholor , maybe they all suck and need a better coach to get them going at the beginning of the year. Whatever it is they sucked, and it is an entire they because no one on this board or any other put all the blame on Wentz until now, for 3/4 of the season. Jeff has a tough look ahead and word has it he isn't going to can Howie but Howie created whatever QB problem Philly now has. Either he F'ed up big time giving Wentz all that money when he knew Wentz was on the downhill slide or he F'ed up drafting a QB he expected to be a starting NFL QB when he had his franchise guy.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

The play the last two weeks doesn't absolve Doug and Howie of their responsibility and role in the 4-9-1 record. You see using Wentz as the scapegoat doesn't play well. What is the reason for Wentz regression? As I have said Wentz is a part of it but I don't put it all on him. Most in the game won't either.

I have watched 4-6 passes over the past two week that should have been intercepted that were not. I didn't see many of Wentz poor throws dropped by opposing teams. I saw our QB fumble 4 times yesterday, he didn't lose any. In other words there are fatal flaws in this offense. Doesn't matter who the QB is. Once they benched Wentz it was over for him here. I don't care about what the talking heads on the radio and tv say. You don't take your franchise QB bench him and then tell him he is in a competition next year. You simply don't He will get a fresh start elsewhere. Will get back to his top 10 QB ways. The problem is right now is how do we go forward. It certainly looks like Hurts can be our starting QB going forward. I worry though the same faction that got into Wentz head will do the same with Hurts. Then in two years we are right back to where we are now. It is best to move on from all of them.

Offensively they have to fix the offensive line first and foremost. They need to get five guys who can grow together and most importantly stay healthy. That extra split second has been missing all year. Hurts creates that at times with his legs but still they really need to block better and more importantly recognize when to swtich off on the blitz. Secondly for about the 500 time in the last 5 years they have to get a number 1 wide out. Look at the difference that having Hopkins does for Murray. This team is filled with a bunch of role player wide outs. The miss with not only not trading for Hopkins when they could have and not drafting Jefferson will haunt this team for years to come. You can't keep missing on skill position players. Defensively once again for the 500 time they need to fix the secondary.

Comment

How about letting them both play this week? We've got nothing to lose.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

#1. Nobody has even a remote fact to know what Jeff Laurie will or won’t do. Period.
            #2. People are still insisting that this team needs to fix this, that, this thing that thing...... people forget that what killed this team was ...... INJURIES.
            #3. People can not seem to concede that the injuries .... led to other factors.... and other factors.... and other factors....... it rolls downhill.
            #4. Football is the sport that depends more on teamwork than any other team sport does, so when many parts of that teamwork fails... the team will in fact fail.
            #5. People are making giant personnel decisions based on very limited information... giant leaps into future, based on tiny points eyeballed during either some bad or good seconds of football.
            #6. This rant is not aimed at trying suppress dialogue, but only trying point out some of the knee jerk reactions and far out ideas that ”MUST” occur in the off season. I see things like this guy must go, they must get that guy, this coach must go that coach should stay...... and still so much relienence the opinions and anonymous sources.... and taking these things as actual fact. When we have learned year after year, that the media has no interest in truth or facts, only clicks and reads.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
              #1. Nobody has even a remote fact to know what Jeff Laurie will or won’t do. Period.
              #2. People are still insisting that this team needs to fix this, that, this thing that thing...... people forget that what killed this team was ...... INJURIES.
              #3. People can not seem to concede that the injuries .... led to other factors.... and other factors.... and other factors....... it rolls downhill.
              #4. Football is the sport that depends more on teamwork than any other team sport does, so when many parts of that teamwork fails... the team will in fact fail.
              #5. People are making giant personnel decisions based on very limited information... giant leaps into future, based on tiny points eyeballed during either some bad or good seconds of football.
              #6. This rant is not aimed at trying suppress dialogue, but only trying point out some of the knee jerk reactions and far out ideas that ”MUST” occur in the off season. I see things like this guy must go, they must get that guy, this coach must go that coach should stay...... and still so much relienence the opinions and anonymous sources.... and taking these things as actual fact. When we have learned year after year, that the media has no interest in truth or facts, only clicks and reads.
              and the press has nothing but virtual contact, so they in fact know less than they usually know
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post

and the press has nothing but virtual contact, so they in fact know less than they usually know

Ah, the voice of reason speaks. I really can't find fault with anything that you said MD. In all honesty I have no clue as what we should do next year other than to talk Kelce out of retirement.

Comment

Injuries and cluster injuries have hurt this team for two years. At the very least they have to look at the way they train and prepare. They have switched out Dr's, they have switched out trainers. The problem is probably deeper than that. I don't have an answer for this one but they need an answer. Otherwise they will be going through 13 different offensive line combo's again next year and you simply can not do that an win in this game. I don't care who your QB is.
                  My PERSONAL opinion and honestly its been this way for at least six weeks is this team needs to be rebuilt. Not retooled, rebuilt. Now will you trust Howie who takes Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson to do this? How about Doug who is stubborn as they come passing the ball 45-50 times a game to 20 runs all the while his QB is struggling? Both Howie and Doug shit the bed this year period. You don't get to 4-9-1 by just blaming the QB. This team has serious flaws, the roster is constructed wrong, they cant draft to save their lives. Their coach doesn't put his players in the best position to succeed (see Wentz, Carson). Alot of people are going to blame this season on Carson Wentz and not saying he shouldn't shoulder blame, he absolutely should, but to just blame him is not seeing the forest through the trees. Folks saying there is no fixing Wentz, well maybe there isn't but I don't think there is any fixing Doug P. or Howie. They are who they are. A tandem that caught lightening in a bottle for one season and won it all. They have been on a downward trajectory since.

Comment

Lurie gave Doug the keys to his brand new Ferrari (Wentz) and he drove it into the ground and now has it parked in the garage because it’s a little scratched up.
                    Doug said that Lurie and Howie has had no influence in his decision to play Hurts. I’m not sure I believe him. Either way, I really doubt that Lurie will want to move on from a #2 overall pick and $130 million dollar investment based on a 4 game sample. That isn’t good business.
                    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

"My PERSONAL opinion and honestly its been this way for at least six weeks is this team needs to be rebuilt. Not retooled, rebuilt."

As long as you and everybody else realizes this ----- it is only an opinion, and saying 24 different times doesn't make it any more factual! Retooled? Rebuilt? Just get healthy? Some combination of all 3?

Are all opinions, and it doesn't make any of them RIGHT or WRONG! And I really don't care at all, this makes for a discussion.... but what I find "wrong" is the jumping to conclusions based on having very little to no information and then making it sound like fact. Again I will point out that nobody and, I mean nobody, can decide what this year might have been --- WITHOUT the magnitude of injuries!

So keeping that in mind and how each and every injury affected some other part of this team and this year's results---- nobody can know what this team needs or what changes need to be made---- from their armchairs or listening to the media... who as MM sez... is nothing more than a virtual media.

That was the point of my rant I guess--- Let's stay grounded and remember that we are NOT inside the organization, and they are the professionals... and that what we write is nothing more than amateur opinions, some from the heart and others from the mind... but still only opinions and guesses.

LOL, end rant part 2.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                        "My PERSONAL opinion and honestly its been this way for at least six weeks is this team needs to be rebuilt. Not retooled, rebuilt."

As long as you and everybody else realizes this ----- it is only an opinion, and saying 24 different times doesn't make it any more factual! Retooled? Rebuilt? Just get healthy? Some combination of all 3?

Are all opinions, and it doesn't make any of them RIGHT or WRONG! And I really don't care at all, this makes for a discussion.... but what I find "wrong" is the jumping to conclusions based on having very little to no information and then making it sound like fact. Again I will point out that nobody and, I mean nobody, can decide what this year might have been --- WITHOUT the magnitude of injuries!

So keeping that in mind and how each and every injury affected some other part of this team and this year's results---- nobody can know what this team needs or what changes need to be made---- from their armchairs or listening to the media... who as MM sez... is nothing more than a virtual media.

That was the point of my rant I guess--- Let's stay grounded and remember that we are NOT inside the organization, and they are the professionals... and that what we write is nothing more than amateur opinions, some from the heart and others from the mind... but still only opinions and guesses.

LOL, end rant part 2.
                        I'll go for #25-Sign Kelce!

Comment

I think Hurts might have saved some people's bacon. As noted, I don't think anyone really knows what Lurie is thinking, but I'll take a guess here just for the hell of it. I don't see Howie going anywhere. They hired John Dorsey, and I think that move was specifically to assist in evaluating talent for the draft. The cap is a mess for next year, but it's my guess that Howie figures that out. Might not be an ideal situation, but regardless, I think Howie is safe. While I agree that Doug has had some serious issues this season, again, I think Hurts might have saved his job. The offense was horrible all season under Wentz. Hurts comes in as a rookie, and throws for over 500 and rushed for 150 in his first two starts, against highly ranked defenses. You can say, "well, Wentz doesn't go from elite to dogpile unless the coaches fucked him up," but Hurts doesn't play lights out unless the coaches do a good job there as well. The offense has functioned well the last two weeks, and the only difference is the QB. It's not beyond possibility that the problem with Wentz IS Wentz. I don't think I've ever seen a guy benefit from people blaming everyone and everything else for his failures like he has.

So, my guess is that everyone is back. Except for Wentz, who they will deal in the offseason in some manner.

Comment

Working...
                          X