No announcement yet.

Observations Eagles vs. Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's everybody worried about. The ferret will just keep kicking the can down the road until we have a $billion in dead money.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
      Fletcher and Barnett are not going anywhere IMHO
      I hope so. But at the end of the day at least one has to go I order to get under the cap
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Not being a cap 'guru' every time I read about Howie signing someone or restructuring someone over the last few years I believed he was the magic man people described. Evidently not. While I don't believe in cap 'hell' (see Dallas, Washington and many other teams that were supposedly in hell) I do think they are in a spot they can't get out of easily. At some point he has to pay the piper
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Right now the Eagles have almost no dead money for 2021 (only 500k). That will of course change in 2021 with some of these cuts and trades. The Eagles had $22 million in dead money in 2020, which I believe is the least of any of the NFC East teams. But, they are all close.

I don't think Howie has been completely out of line with his restructuring. They all do it across the league.

The problem for the Eagles is that their top 12 players have a total cap number just over $200 million in 2021. All of these guys are making over $10 million per year. Most teams have 1/2 that amount making over $10 million a year. To many top heavy contracts. That is our problem in a nutshell.

We are going to have to trim the fat. And, it could be painful.

I predict that Wentz and Ertz get traded and we end up cutting Alshon, DJ, Malik Jackson, and Barnett. Several of those last 4 could be trade candidates for a low round draft choice.

I sure would hate to lose Barnett and Malik Jackson.

Get to work Howie. It's going to be a grueling offseason. We may end up with a lot of picks from these guys. Having a lot of picks means at least a partial rebuild, even if it is short term.

Comment

Just a few short years ago, every single one of us would have stated that they would gladly take the position the Eagles are in right now in exchange for winning a Super Bowl once in our lifetimes. So, here we are. I'm O.K. with it. They are going to have to make some difficult cuts, and they may be in for a year or two in the shitter, but things can be turned around pretty quick in this league.

Comment

Pliny, I agree with all your trades and cuts except for Barnett. I think he gets a new deal. Wentz may stay if there is no demand for him. we cannot give him away

Howie has done a nice job with the cap for years. I feel like that Superbowl win got in the head of the leadership. Doug with the "new normal" comments. Howie laying out a big contract for Alshon who may have played big in the big games, but was not a full season stud and we didn't yet know if he was a team player or would age. Howie missing Torrey Smith's speed and signing DJax to that stupid deal.

I'm willing to give the pass because it netted us a Superbowl. What they do this off-season and next season is more important. The pass has expired and their jobs are on the line now. I'm willing to bet that is Lurie's message to them behind closed doors as well

Comment

Taz... my take on Hurts not being terrible is we had a JV offensive line against an elite DL. And our WRs are our WRs. Throwing the ball was not really a great option. Plus, if Doug was really trying to tank he wasn't calling a lot of creative plays. Hurts made 3-4 good throws. The throw to JJAW was excellent. The INT wasn't his fault. And the one thing Hurts was able to do was get out of the pocket and create with his feet. He did a good to very good job of recognizing when it was time to run. He wasn't Tom Brady but he wasn't terrible. Sudfeld had nobody open really either but he couldn't run. That was what was different.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                  Just a few short years ago, every single one of us would have stated that they would gladly take the position the Eagles are in right now in exchange for winning a Super Bowl once in our lifetimes. So, here we are. I'm O.K. with it.
                  They are going to have to make some difficult cuts, and they may be in for a year or two in the shitter, but things can be turned around pretty quick in this league.
                  That certainly is correct EB! When Wentz had that horrible knee injury that required total knee reconstruction that pretty much screwed the team and him. His legs were a huge part of his game. I remember when you said that we shouldn't have given him that big contract and it turned out that you were right.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                    Taz... my take on Hurts not being terrible is we had a JV offensive line against an elite DL. And our WRs are our WRs. Throwing the ball was not really a great option. Plus, if Doug was really trying to tank he wasn't calling a lot of creative plays. Hurts made 3-4 good throws. The throw to JJAW was excellent. The INT wasn't his fault. And the one thing Hurts was able to do was get out of the pocket and create with his feet. He did a good to very good job of recognizing when it was time to run. He wasn't Tom Brady but he wasn't terrible. Sudfeld had nobody open really either but he couldn't run. That was what was different.
                    . Yes the INT was his fault he threw to a covered WR (TE), every INT is the QB fault that is why they count against them. That is what we heard about Wentz all year. Wentz played with the same rotating line, same trash WR etc. He got benched. Sorry but you can't say one is good and give the excuses and the other was bad. The obvious point is one myself and some others like MDFAN have been saying. Its more than just the QB on this team much more. In fact the 14 different starting offensive line combo's. Again 7-20 (35% completion rate), 72 yards, 3.3 yards per attempt, an INT and a 2 rushing TD's. He missed a wide open Quez Watkins in the end zone. Missed multiple other receivers that were open. He is a work in progress but not good enough to be a starter yet.

I don't see anything from Hurts other than he can escape when the offensive line breaks down. That is not a way to win football games.

We have zero QB right now. Wentz is gone because of the way this team has handled him. Hurts is not good enough to be a starter in this league.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                      We have zero QB right now. Wentz is gone because of the way this team has handled him. Hurts is not good enough to be a starter in this league.
                      totally disagree with this

what we have is Zero healthy O-Line. One stud HB we don't use correctly, and one of the worst IF NOT THE ACTUAL WORST receiving corps in the league

I admit I was not a Hurts fan when he was in Alabama. I admittedly did not watch him much in OK. In my mind he's a running QB and I have to admit as an Eagles fan I was tired of that from Randall to Donovan to Vick and then FINALLY seeing it all work with a pocket QB in Wentz/Foles

but with all of that said. The kid is well put together. Throws a nice ball. Adds the running threat. His issue to this point is that the complimentary parts are not that complimentary.
                      Kind of the same as what Wentz dealt with, but with less mistakes. In just his first few games.

give the kid a healthy OLine, weapons at WR, and I think he can be a stud. we just don't know either way for sure. There are many stud QBs playing today that many said could not be great. Calling him a zero and not good enough to be a starter seems very shortsighted to me. I'm not sure why you feel that way or what you are watching

wide open Quez Watkins? It took him forever to get open and Hurts had a man in his face immediately. On a 4th and goal we shouldn't have been going for anyway with a joke of an OLine. At least Hurts owned up to missing that throw. Even if most QBs would not have made it either. Kid expects alot from himself.

Comment

Taz you and I disagree a lot and that is OK. You are passionate about your opinions but I want to stress they are opinions. You don't know anymore or less about football than most of us on this board. Please try and remember that.

I will just reiterate that I am ready to roll with Hurts next year and we might have the best running game in the league next year. That seemed to work out pretty good for the 49ers and the Ravens a year ago.
                        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                        X