My offseason plan Take 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My offseason plan Take 1

Now that we are pretty sure Doug and Howie will be back, I think its safe to take a look at what I would do going forward. Now to be clear I was not in favor of either coming back so I am somewhat trying to think as to the current offensive and defensive schemes as well as Howies penchant to value QB, OT, DE, etc over say RB or LB.

Coaching Staff
    Honestly I think some of the individual coaches like Duce, Stoutland etc are good coaches. You can see some of the young guys at those positions getting better. The real problem this year is how do you as a coach consistently get guys ready to play when the cast is changing on a week by week basis due to injury. Now I think there problems on offense have to do more with scheme, same with the defense. One should change this offseason as Schwartz already is not coming back. The other should also change.

1. New offensive coordinator - A true coordinator not a bunch of guys doing a group think. That has proven to not only screw up your franchise QB but also gives the wrong signals. Bringing in somebody from the outside makes sense. Somebody who has done well before with helping QB's as well as has an innovative offensive plan. Here is who I would attempt to hire
    - Mike McDaniel Run game coordinator 49ers - He has been with Kyle Shanahan for 13 seasons. Shanahans offense blends a lot of the concepts that Doug likes but also elements of Frank Reichs offense. In other words I think he is a good fit for here. Now will he come? Don't know.
    BONUS: If McDaniel says no and Doug thinks Hurts should be the next QB then Greg Roman who is the Ravens QB Coach would be my next choice

2. New QB Coach - Lets face it not only did Wentz regress so did Sudfeld and honestly Hurts best games were his first two. The last two games were not so good. Now he is a rookie but still. They need somebody who can be the DeFlippo type voice.
    - Josh McCown - I know he is under contract as a player for Houston however I think this is his calling. The Eagles really like him and honestly I think he would do wonders as a QB coach here. There is nothing like a player who can coach but also has done it in the pro's

Duce stays, Stoutland stays, Moorhead stays, on the fence on Justin Peele but for now he stays. The rest can take the next flight out of town.

Also another big thing. Doug needs to give up at least some of the play calling. Maybe he will now that Schwartz is gone and he may need to spend more time on the defensive side of the ball.

3. New Defensive Coordinator - After the Super Bowl for whatever reasons Schwartz just wasn't the same coordinator. I like a guy who is aggressive as a coordinator, Schwartz was not.
    - Gus Bradley - Get on the Gus bus. Seriously I don't know if he would even consider it after the way he was throw to the side during the Chip Kelly regime but he may especially if he thinks Doug could possibly be gone in 2022. Defensively the Chargers took a step back this year but in 2019 they were a top 10 defense. He is an aggressive coordinator who has been a head coach before which fits the same mold as Schwartz. Now I will say he is going to have multiple offers so the Eagles will need to step up big time to get him.
    BONUS: Marquan Manual or Matt Burke - Both have been coordinators before and both are currently on the team. Doug seems like to promote from within. I personally would not go down that road.

4. New Special Teams Coach - Dave Fipp has been here forever and a day. I think this the worst special teams unit he has had. Why he consistently rolled out Greg Ward and Boston Scott as the returners when he has guys like Quez Watkins, John Hightower and Jalen Reagor who were superior college return guys just boggled my mind. I think its time for a change.
    - Andy Hill Ast Special Teams Coach KC - Hill is the assistant in KC who had one of the best if not the best special teams in football this year. He was not there when Doug was there but I am sure he will get the scope from Andy on this one. I am looking to get somebody from a team who has consistently had good special teams.

Now that we are through the coaching staff changes its time to look at the roster. The first thing we have to look at is the Salary cap. Right now there cap number from over the cap Top 51 is set at 265k. The salary cap at the moment after the Covid negotiations is 175k. So for this purpose they are 90 million over the cap. I have them at having 25.5 to roll0ver (yes that number is different than over the cap I think they may have a few things wrong or may have) so for my purpose I am going to use the number of 65k over the cap after the rollover. Folks that is a ton of money. Now that 65k gets them to the cap. In order to draft and take advantage of the draft position we have we will need another 10 million. That is before we even think about signing players such as restricted free agents and such So in reality they really need to clear around 85 million dollars. Some of this will be through cuts, some through trades and some through restructures. But this is going to be hard.

Trades
    .1. Derrick Banett DE - People forget he is only 24 years old. He is not a top guy but he is also not a rotational guy, he is a solid starter who plays the run and rushes the passer. Every team can always use more pass rush. I think the Buccaneers are a prime place to trade him. They are in need of another pass rusher are in win now mode. I believe they can do something like this.
    Eagles Trade Barnett and the Atlanta 5th rounder for the Buccaneers 2nd rounder. Savings 10 million now we need to clear 75 million
    2. Zach Ertz TE - Hate this one but they need to move on in order to get some salary cap space. Ertz did not have a good year but a team like Chicago might be a great fit. Not going to get a ton for him. Cap savings 5 million now down to 70 million
    Eagles Trade Ertz and their 5th rounder in 2022 r to Chicago for a 3rd this year
    3. Carson Wentz QB - This one is going to happen. I hate this as much as Ertz if not more. Never going to get value for him especially if he is requesting a trade. That said QB still bring some value especially to teams like the Colts or New England. Also of note before this trade happens Wentz gives back some money to facilitate a trade. I think the Colts step up here and make it happen. 12 games in a year where at times he and Kelce were the only starters on the field will make team think . So with a Carson contract restructure to facilitate a trade. Carson essentially will give the Eagles 10 million dollars back of his signing bonus, he then signs a new contract with the Colts that they give him a 10 million signing bonus.

Eagles Trade Carson Wentz and their 3rd round pick in 2021 to the Colts for their 1st round pick in 2021, a conditional pick in 2022 that can go as high as a 4th rounder if Wentz is still on the team in 2022. If not the Eagles give back a 3rd rounder.

So after Trades we clear out 25 million in cap space, get a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd this year, while giving up our 3rd as well as a 4th and two 5th. The cap number is now 45 million to get to the cap, 65 million in order to draft sign our restricted free agents etc.

Cuts
    1. Alshon Jeffrey -
    With a post June 1st designation, saves 13 million 32 million to get to the cap.
    2. DeSean Jackson - 5 million savings - 27 million to get to the cap
    3. Marquise Goodwin - 5 million in savings (now this is one where I don't think the OVC number is right as I had him redoing his contract an only counting 1 million) Either way 22 million to go
    4. Malik Jackson - He will be cut with a June 1st designation. That saves 10 million but will be used to sign draft picks.

12 million to get to the cap. 32 to draft
    Restructure
    1. Lane Johnson - Turn Johnson guarantee salary into a signing bonus and add a year. Saves us 7 million on this years cap
    2. Darius Slay - Turn his guarantee of 12 guarantee million salary into a signing bonus. Saves us 7 million on this years cap.
    3. Javon Hargrave - Turn his guarantee of 13 million into a signing bonus that saves us 9 million on this years cap.
    4. Rodney McCloud - Turn his 4 million into a signing bonus - Saves us 3 million on this years cap.
    5. Brandon Brooks - Turn his 10 million guarantee into a signing bonus. Saves us 8 million

This clears 34 million. So that gives us the 12 million to meet the cap, the additional 20 million to draft, sign restricted free agents etc. So we are back in the game and the cap not only looks good for 2021 but 2022 looks like they will be about 60 million under the cap. So this is a necessary change.

The Draft
    I used Fanspeak for this draft and their rankings. I did this because it was easy to duplicate the draft picks I traded for above. I used their player rankings and trade requests.

1 - 6 - Jamar Chase WR - To the well once again at WR, this one is as close to a can't miss as you can get. Usually I would say the Eagles would go offensive or defensive line here but there just wasn't anyone there. Chase is the best WR in this draft. I know everyone is talking about Smith but he is Todd Pinkston at 170lbs soaking wet. I was really contemplating taking Patrick Surtain as we need a CB in the worst way but having 21 was a better chance of a good CB being there.

2- 21 - Asante Samuel JR. CB - Yes we finally take a CB in round one and a name that should be familiar to us. He is Asante son and plays a lot like him. Future shut down corner, play him across from Slay with Maddox in the slot. (From Colts)

2-6 - Dylan Moses LB Alabama - Probably won't be here in reality but he was during the this mock and I jump on him. Team him with Singleton and get some development from Taylor and we will have a fast athletics linebacking corp.

2-24 From Bucs - We have a Trade, Eagles trade with Buffalo for their 2nd and 3rd round picks We also trade back a 6th rounder

2-30 Brevin Jordan TE Maimi FL - Another that may not be there but TE is a sneaky need especially after dealing Ertz.

3- 19 Caden Sterns S Texas - Solid safety prospect. Can play both safety positions. This is another big need on this team. From Chicago

3-29 Xavier Thomas DE Clemson - Not sure how he was here, I have him as a possible late first rounder. Need another rotational end to rotate with Sweat now that Barnett is gone

5-6 Glenn Logan DL LSu - Adding to the line once again
    6-6 Tyler Vrabel OT Boston College - Can't not add offensive lineman.
    7-6 Josh Sills OG Oklahoma - Another to the mix

If things fall this way I see Chase, Samuel, Moses, Sterns all starting day one. Jordan and Thomas both contributing as rotational guys. I don't have the comp picks in there but if they were I would have continued to add depth.

I also have not done anything on Free agency. I can see them signing a veteran backup QB to Hurts, other than that I don't see them doing much because they don't have the cash to.

This offseason is going to be very interesting and frustrating at times, especially during free agency. But if we can come away with six picks like I have in the first 3 round and hit on at least 4 of them it will go a LONG LONG way to rebuilding this team.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

WOW! Taz you are certainly all in here and there is a lot of thought. IM hoping the salary cap situation is as easy as you've laid it out. Seems to be a relatively clear path. I am hoping the rumors of player discord with the Washington game don't manifest into more. I really like Chase more than Smith, but I was hoping Parsons would be there at 6. It is against Doug's thinking, but I'd rather see Parsons, and then look WR/CB in round 2. Marshall (LSU) and Toney (UF) could be there in Round 2/3. Until we have the QB thing figured out, I'd love a smash mouth defense to keep us in games. Great effort and I dont know enough to dispute any of it.

Comment

Wasn't DP the best play caller on the planet until this year? I'll tell you what happened to him-Marty Mornhinweg happened!! Even the most loyal coach in the league Andy Reid wouldn't bring that pass happy bastard with him to KC.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

60- Said a long time ago-- get rid of all the strap hangers that are advisors. If I am Jeff I might bring in a guy or two to give me their view of the team but it would strictly be a short term thing.
        Taz, pretty thorough.....
        Can't say I know enough about the cap to say they can or can not do all of that but getting rid of Barnett will be tough since he is young and pretty steady.
        No one knows the real deal with Wentz. But my gut would say they aren't giving him away without a real good return. So giving him and our top of the third round pick for a 1st round pick which will be in the 20s doesn't sound real good. If that 2022 was a second or maybe a third round pick rather than a 4th or 5th I might see it. Not sure what third you would see the Eagles giving back though. Of course I'm just speculating since no one knows how bad the relationship is or isn't.
        I would really like the Gus Bradley thing. I would also add that the conditioning staff would be under a microscope for me. Gotta be some answer for all the injuries.
        I also like the Samuel pick. Last year there were a couple of sons of players (Winfield and Runyan come to mind) that I liked. Sons of former players have been schooled their entire life so they have a better feel and mindset I believe. That is why I would surely consider Surtain if somehow there at 6
        I would also add that there is no one on that roster that is hands off when it comes to team attitude. Coaches, players, uniform guys, trainers--- some inside people know who is all in for the team or all in for themselves, or just guys who stir shit. Maybe there is no issue but I don't think there was a good vibe on that team this year.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

For sentimental purposes (plus the bonus of having his dad in his ear), I'm really hoping we take a flyer in rd 6 or 7 on Brian Dawkins Jr.

Comment

Do you really want to roll with Hurts ND? Man this situation is a mess!!

Comment

I think Wentz will be an MVP level QB in this league again. I am not a believer that Doug can do that; however, if they get Josh McCown or someone as a QB coach who can have some say and influence with Doug then maybe it can happen in Philly. I don't want to see Wentz leave but I don't believe you can have two #1 QBs and I feel Hurts is Doug's guy.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

I think I am on Devonta Smith now more than Ja'Marr Chase. Only because I read some reports that some of the coaches in the SEC I believe said he was the best WR they had ever seen. That says a lot. I'm worried about his frame no doubt but it is not like he was playing against chopped liver in the SEC. I'm worried a bit about Chase's athleticism. Chase doesn't seem to have a dominant trait. He isn't overly big or fast. Chase might end up being DeAndre Hopkins though I gotta admit because he does seem to just catch the ball in traffic, with strong hands, etc.

I REALLY like Dylan Moses. I mean that kid is going to be an absolute stud. Another LB I like is the Zaven Collins kid from Tulsa. He is big and fast enough to cover. He could be a helluva MLB/SLB in the league. I also like the Jabril Cox kid from LSU.

CB wise I think the Samuel kid sounds like a player for sure. The Horn kid from South Carolina is another kid that I keep seeing going to the Birds in round 2.

And lastly... and I will say this again... Creed Humphrey is very high on my list. He is a ridiculously talented kid that plays with speed and leverage.

A couple more... I like Trey Sermon a lot for Ohio State as a 3-4 year plug and play power back and the Greg Cooper kid from Ohio State isn't going to wow anyone with his athleticism but he looks to me like a younger version of Vinny Curry.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                  I think I am on Devonta Smith now more than Ja'Marr Chase. Only because I read some reports that some of the coaches in the SEC I believe said he was the best WR they had ever seen. That says a lot. I'm worried about his frame no doubt but it is not like he was playing against chopped liver in the SEC. I'm worried a bit about Chase's athleticism. Chase doesn't seem to have a dominant trait. He isn't overly big or fast. Chase might end up being DeAndre Hopkins though I gotta admit because he does seem to just catch the ball in traffic, with strong hands, etc.

I REALLY like Dylan Moses. I mean that kid is going to be an absolute stud. Another LB I like is the Zaven Collins kid from Tulsa. He is big and fast enough to cover. He could be a helluva MLB/SLB in the league. I also like the Jabril Cox kid from LSU.

CB wise I think the Samuel kid sounds like a player for sure. The Horn kid from South Carolina is another kid that I keep seeing going to the Birds in round 2.

And lastly... and I will say this again... Creed Humphrey is very high on my list. He is a ridiculously talented kid that plays with speed and leverage.

A couple more... I like Trey Sermon a lot for Ohio State as a 3-4 year plug and play power back and the Greg Cooper kid from Ohio State isn't going to wow anyone with his athleticism but he looks to me like a younger version of Vinny Curry.
                  The WR situation in the draft is really not very clear cut. I am not really sold on Devonta Smith, because the dude goes down way to easily, Ja'Marr Chase looks like a better all around receiver. But, him sitting out the season is a red flag to me.

Then you have Jaylen Waddle. Before he got hurt this year, he was Alabama's top guy, not Devonta Smith.

All 3 of these guys will probably make good pros. But, the birds have misfired so much when it comes to WR's. And, this is one of those years when it is not clear as to which of these 3 guys is the top WR.

Frankly, if Waddle had not been injured this year, he would probably be the clear #1. There is a chance he may play in the championship against OSU. That could really scramble up the draft projections if he has a good game.

Comment

IMO we need someone on defense to make ANY QB a bit nervous. You have some beast DTs and a couple tough DEs. Either get a nasty LB to pair with Singleton or the best rush end in the upcoming draft. We always seem to get close to the QB, we need to finish QBs on a regular basis, we always seem to control some teams, but we need to see some QBs on their asses 6-7 times a game. Then a return to running the football and throwing off of play action and a bunch of RPOs and we are a good team while waiting for the youngsters on offense to grow together while still winning. I also see the need to acquire picks for some of those high cost older fellas. If in fact Dorsey is here for the draft, give him a bunch of bullets and let him fire away.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Obviously, the Wentz issue is the primary thing they've got to deal with. I don't know if they can even trade him. I don't know if he will ever be a top 10 QB in the league again. I do know he has had more than his fair share of injuries, has a huge, huge contract, and played so poorly that he got benched. I do feel that they have two options. One, keep him and get an offensive coordinator and QBs coach from outside to organization to reprogram him. Or, trade him, with the more probable outcome being that they do not get much more than salary cap relief and rid of him in the deal. People keep talking about how many possible trade partners will line up for him, and how teams will give up this pick or that, and I think that's wishful thinking. Time will tell, of course.

Comment

Just say NO to Smith. He is Todd Pinkston thin. 170lbs at 6ft 1 is way too thin. At Number 6 you have to take a sure thing. I just really worry about him long term. I seriously doubt the Eagles take Chase either, but honestly there is nothing defensive or offensive line wise that is a top 10 pick other than Sewell and he will be gone.

I would take Surtain in a heartbeat at 6 and then maybe take a receiver in a trade up late in the first round like I did with Sameul. I just think the Chase/Samuel combo is better than Surtain and say Terrence Marshal or Chris Olave.
                        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                          Obviously, the Wentz issue is the primary thing they've got to deal with. I don't know if they can even trade him. I don't know if he will ever be a top 10 QB in the league again. I do know he has had more than his fair share of injuries, has a huge, huge contract, and played so poorly that he got benched. I do feel that they have two options. One, keep him and get an offensive coordinator and QBs coach from outside to organization to reprogram him. Or, trade him, with the more probable outcome being that they do not get much more than salary cap relief and rid of him in the deal. People keep talking about how many possible trade partners will line up for him, and how teams will give up this pick or that, and I think that's wishful thinking. Time will tell, of course.
                          If they want to move Wentz I think that the Birds might have to give up a draft pick to sweeten the deal. We're talking about a benched QB with with a huge contract here.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                            Just say NO to Smith. He is Todd Pinkston thin. 170lbs at 6ft 1 is way too thin. At Number 6 you have to take a sure thing. I just really worry about him long term. I seriously doubt the Eagles take Chase either, but honestly there is nothing defensive or offensive line wise that is a top 10 pick other than Sewell and he will be gone.

I would take Surtain in a heartbeat at 6 and then maybe take a receiver in a trade up late in the first round like I did with Sameul. I just think the Chase/Samuel combo is better than Surtain and say Terrence Marshal or Chris Olave.

I really think Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Sewell will be top 5. I get the size of smith and, before his injury, Waddle seemed to play ahead of Smith. Chase was always #1 and seemed to be a more rounded WR than Jefferson last year. That being said, I can't help but hope Parsons is there at 6. I'd like to see he and then Toney or Marshall in round 2.

Comment

60... I was talking to my buddy in Denver last night about trade partners. He said the chances of the Eagles getting a 1 for Wentz are virtually nil in his mind. The Eagles might be able to get a 2 and a conditional pick and they might even be able to get Carson to give back guaranteed money if his agent can find a team to agree in principle to giving him that same money. But in order to do that the Eagles would have to give a draft pick back to them. So he thought maybe the Eagles give up their 4 and Wentz to the Colts for their 2 and maybe a conditional pick for the Colts if it works out.
                              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                              X