My offseason plan Take 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
    60... I was talking to my buddy in Denver last night about trade partners. He said the chances of the Eagles getting a 1 for Wentz are virtually nil in his mind. The Eagles might be able to get a 2 and a conditional pick and they might even be able to get Carson to give back guaranteed money if his agent can find a team to agree in principle to giving him that same money. But in order to do that the Eagles would have to give a draft pick back to them. So he thought maybe the Eagles give up their 4 and Wentz to the Colts for their 2 and maybe a conditional pick for the Colts if it works out.
    No offense Sean but your buddy is just a sportswriter correct? He hears the same crap as we do. I don't think the players union would let a player give money back on any contract. After all,that's why you have a union. I think a similar situation happened in Boston when a player offered to reduce his contract to stay with the Sox and the union denied it.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      Just say NO to Smith. He is Todd Pinkston thin. 170lbs at 6ft 1 is way too thin. At Number 6 you have to take a sure thing. I just really worry about him long term. I seriously doubt the Eagles take Chase either, but honestly there is nothing defensive or offensive line wise that is a top 10 pick other than Sewell and he will be gone.

I would take Surtain in a heartbeat at 6 and then maybe take a receiver in a trade up late in the first round like I did with Sameul. I just think the Chase/Samuel combo is better than Surtain and say Terrence Marshal or Chris Olave.
      Davonte Smith is going to tear up the league. His hands, speed, balance, and route running are amazing,

not all that different from Diggs 6' 190, Ridley 6'1 190, Tyreek 5'10 185. Or even 6'3 Robby Anderson that is just 190 who are all top 10 this year

size isn't needed as much

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        IMO we need someone on defense to make ANY QB a bit nervous. You have some beast DTs and a couple tough DEs. Either get a nasty LB to pair with Singleton or the best rush end in the upcoming draft. We always seem to get close to the QB, we need to finish QBs on a regular basis, we always seem to control some teams, but we need to see some QBs on their asses 6-7 times a game. Then a return to running the football and throwing off of play action and a bunch of RPOs and we are a good team while waiting for the youngsters on offense to grow together while still winning. I also see the need to acquire picks for some of those high cost older fellas. If in fact Dorsey is here for the draft, give him a bunch of bullets and let him fire away.
        all due respect, who do people fear on the Chiefs defense? who did they really fear on the Eagles defense when we won a title

it's an offensive driven league

not to mention we have major offensive issues and two QBs that need help if they are going to have a future in this league

Mahomes is amazing, but even he couldn't have done much in this Eagles offense

Comment

60... I don’t take offense at that but he has been doing it for about 20 years. He is really connected. These guys know way more than they tell us. I get texts from him 5-7 times a year telling me this or that is going to happen and he is almost always right. When I was talking to him the other night he took a call from Vic Fangio and had to call me back. These coaches, GMs, and player agents confide and use the media like politicians. Especially ones they trust. But I get it 60. He may be wrong. He has a pretty good track record though.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

Davonte Smith is going to tear up the league. His hands, speed, balance, and route running are amazing,

not all that different from Diggs 6' 190, Ridley 6'1 190, Tyreek 5'10 185. Or even 6'3 Robby Anderson that is just 190 who are all top 10 this year

size isn't needed as much
            Put on 20 pounds and tell me the difference it makes Seriously 170lbs with a thin frame and he has a thin frame. Injury waiting to happen. Also I am not sold he is going to run anything more than a 4.45 or so. If he does think he will take a drop like Lamb did, mid teens. Chase is the better of the two receivers. People forgot since he opted out last year. Which is something else to think about with teams and players who opted out. Taking a year off from playing at that age, does it stunt their growth? Physically I am sure they all are staying in shape but in shape and game shape are two different things. Going to be interesting. I wouldn't mark down any of them for it. But its still has to be at least talked about
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Taz I think you might be right about Davonte Smith. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Chase slide. Both of them are not slam dunk Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, type of prospects. Smith is very thin and Chase is not going to be a 4.4 guy. In both cases, I think this will scare teams off and they will go with what they think are more sure things. I know you will probably disagree with me on Chase but I think both of them are going to slide out of the top 10 like Jeudy and Lamb did because they just aren't slam dunk guys. Ruggs got picked higher last year for some pretty significant reasons. I think Rondale Moore might even jump over them if he times out sub 4.4 which I hear he is likely to do.

So that means to me that when Todd McShay says the Eagles take Micah Parsons at 6 that might just be right. Or Surtain... or an edge rusher. Or maybe even a OL/DT prospect. I think the experts might be right.

There will be quality receivers like Rashod Bateman, Chris Olave, and Justyn Ross from Clemson in round two. This is that time of year when QBs move up like Trask and Mac Jones. And so do OL and DL guys. And skill guys move down unless they are just physical freaks.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                60... I don’t take offense at that but he has been doing it for about 20 years. He is really connected. These guys know way more than they tell us. I get texts from him 5-7 times a year telling me this or that is going to happen and he is almost always right. When I was talking to him the other night he took a call from Vic Fangio and had to call me back. These coaches, GMs, and player agents confide and use the media like politicians. Especially ones they trust. But I get it 60. He may be wrong. He has a pretty good track record though.
                Well I agree with him about Wentz not going to fetch a #1 anyway. With his contract I don't think teams would offer much. I just hope he and the Eagles get things straightened out and Wentz stays. Get aa QB coach in here and get him straight who doesn't baby him and he could be helped. Then again a 27 year old guy shouldn't be in the situation where he needs to get "fixed".
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

his 40 could be 4.5 which is not amazing. He just has game speed. Not comparing him to Jerry Rice or anything, but he does have game speed and alot of Tyreek playmaking ability in him.

all I know is what this league is today. It is all about playmakers and difference makers. only having one (Sanders) on your offense is going to make you an 8-8 team

15 of the 32 defenses gave up an average of 25 points or more. We gave up 26.
                  The top 16 teams all scored 26 points or more on average. we averaged 20.9
                  Your average offense outscores your average defense. 9 of the top 10 scoring offenses are in the playoffs. Only the Raiders are not

build a friggin offense. Help your QB/Leader of your team. Just my $0.02

we can pass on Smith and Chase if we want to. Washington and NYG will take them and their offenses will be better because of it

Comment

I do think they will get a 1 for Wentz. Now as I stated, I packaged Wentz with a 3rd round pick which is the 68th pick in the draft. So trading late one for Wentz and a 3rd is getting a 1st but not really getting a 1st. Because you are essentially trading up 40-45 spots in the draft.

Honestly I don't think Howie pulls the trigger unless a 1st round pick is in the trade even if he has to give up a 3rd rounder or even another young player like Reagor to make it happen.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

First - Iove this board. Full of people who love the Eagles and analyze the situation better than most click-bait "reporters".

I think the key is Wentz - duh! Not sold at all on Hurts, and we would get pennies on the dollar for Wentz, although it may be quite a few pennies. Get McCown in here as QB coach and a good OC. Doug has to give up play calling or he won't get a good OC. Doug, Carson, Howie - act like men and work it out. I do think Wentz has some maturity issues, but he is getting older and hopefully more mature.

I agree that Ertz's time has come and gone in Philly. Trading him for cap relief makes sense.

I would not be too quick to trade Barnett. Can we restructure? A brain transplant would also help - makes too many dumb mistakes for a 4-year pro - but here again age / maturity may help. Barnett may turn into another Graham, with the mid-to-late part of his career being his best.

I don't know the talent / performance evaluations well enough to say which vets should be let go / traded / restructured. Every time I want to move away from McLeod he shows that the team needs him badly. I am also not fond of letting people go when they are injured. Still, he is getting up there and has an injury history and a hefty cap number.

All in all, if they can work out the situation with Wentz I am not as pessimistic as some. We would clearly be counting on a Wentz rebound, but the OL will be solid / very good with the return of Mailata, Dillard, Brooks and Johnson. We have a very good RB in Miles Sanders and a very good TE in Goeddert. The WR group is weak, but there is talent there, which would get uncovered with better OL and QB play, as well as a more balanced game plan. Depth is an issue on offense, but the young guys may be able to step up.

On defense, the strength is clearly the interior of DL. Fletch is still Fletch. Hargrave has started to come on. And our young depth behind them is decent. Graham is getting up there, but is still playing well. His age is the reason I really want to hang onto Barnett. Sweat is showing promise. Again, need depth. This is where wasting a 4th round pick on Shareef Miller hurts.
                      Don't know what to say about LBs. Singleton had a good year and seems to be ascending, but Bradley and Taylor hardly got to play. Their development is critical to the team's success, but I just don't know enough to have a view as to whether we can count on it. In any case, we need a high draft pick to be added to the mix. The secondary has some talent in Slay and Maddox (slot corner only). Mills did not have a bad year, and was the rubber band that held the group together by shuffling from corner to safety. I see him as a backup / depth corner. The safety group is thin / not very good, so will require reinforcements from the draft. Can we grab HaHa Clinton-Dix on a short, prove-it contract and hope for the light to finally go on?

Football is a complementary sport in that offense, defense and special teams really play off each other. If we can run a better offensive scheme, limit turnovers, and possess the ball, the defense will look better. Our division is weak, even if Dallas will be improved with the return of Prescott, so I do think we can be in contention next year with a good offseason plan.
                      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Great takes here guys.

they could go in a lot of directions cause this team is pretty flawed... let’s be honest.

Comment

We are actually in a good position with Barnett IMO. He hasn't shown enough to warrant a huge contract, but he has played well in all aspects of the game, but has been unavailable a few times and hasn't hit big numbers in the sacks department. I would argue that he has been Brandon Graham or better in their first 4 seasons. He could just be getting there and we could get him at a decent price.
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Sooooo, now we are hearing that Doug is not safe .... and I like it. To my mind, the person most responsible for the mess is Howie, but apparently Lurie is blind to that. I do not want the perfect (firing Howie) to be the enemy of the good (firing Doug). The reason is that firing Doug will make it much more likely that the relationship with Carson can be repaired. On top of all that, I am not convinced that Doug is all that good of a coach, although that really depends on the qualities you want in your head coach. Doug is a good leader, but he refuses to give up play calling, and he is not a good play caller. With all this talk about Carson needing time to "process", Lurie may be coming to the conclusion that this processing has a lot to do with the composition of the staff going forward. Players fire coaches - they always have, and they always will. When you have $130m and significant draft capital invested in the most important position you need to care about what Carson Wentz thinks, and this reality may be starting to dawn on Mr. Lurie.

P.S. Good job letting Doug know he is safe so that he gets us a better draft pick in the last game - no way someone who doesn't think he is coming back does what he did.

P.P.S. Were the Colts and the Bills throwing the game yesterday when they both went for it on 4th and 4 in field goal range? Don't know if Frank Reich is getting killed in the Indy media, but pretty sure I know what would now be happening to him in Philadelphia.
                            Last edited by flyered; 01-10-2021, 12:43 PM.
                            Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                            Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

I will not bother to listen to the “sources” the “media” or any other general internet rumors.... when something actually happens.... wake me.

Comment

Working...
                              X