• Show
Clear All

• Doug Done

Report: Doug Pederson out as Eagles' head coach
    14M AGO
    /BY REUBEN FRANK

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/reuben-frank][/URL]Reuben Frank

EAGLES INSIDER
    ess than three years after leading the Eagles to their first Super Bowl championship, Doug Pederson’s Eagles coaching career is over, according to NFL Network.L

Owner Jeff Lurie fired Pederson Monday in the wake of a miserable 4-11-1 season. The Eagles have won four or fewer games three times since Jeff Lurie bought the team - 1998, 2012 and 2020 - and Lurie fired the head coach each time.

Only three teams in the Eagles’ 88-year history have lost more games.

Pederson is the first NFL coach in nearly half a century to be fired less than six years after winning a Super Bowl. Don McCafferty led the Colts to the Super Bowl V championship after the 1970 season but was fired five games into 1972 when he refused to bench 39-year-old Johnny Unitas in favor of Marty Domres.

He’s also the second Eagles coach in franchise history to be fired within a year of reaching the playoffs. Buddy Ryan was fired by Norman Braman after the 1990 season despite taking the Eagles to the playoffs in 1988, 1989 and 1990.

Lurie has hired four head coaches since buying the team from Norman Braman in 1994. All four have won 10 games and reached the postseason by their second season.
    TRENDING

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/report-doug-pederson-has-been-fired-eagles][/URL]Report: Doug Pederson out as Eagles' head coach

14M AGO
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/questions-surround-eagles-coaching-tree-ahead-pedersonlurie-meeting][/URL]Questions surround Eagles coaching tree ahead of Pederson/Lurie meeting

53M AGO
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/reported-details-highlight-differences-between-jeff-lurie-and-doug-pederson][/URL]Reported details highlight differences between Lurie and Pederson

1H AGO
    The Eagles went 42-36-1 in five years under Pederson, and his 42 wins are 5th-most in franchise history, one fewer than Ryan.

Only Andy Reid (14 years), Greasy Neale (10 years) and Dick Vermeil (seven years) coached the Eagles longer than Pederson.

This is the first time the Eagles have failed to win 10 games under the same head coach three years in a row since Marion Campbell was the head coach in the mid-1980s.

Other than the Super Bowl season, the Eagles were 29-33-1. But in 2017, they went 13-3 and roared through the playoffs and then toppled the greatest coach and quarterback in NFL history, winning Super Bowl LII against the Patriots 41-33 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.

It was the franchise’s first championship since 1960.

But it’s been a steady decline since then.

The Eagles won a playoff game in 2018 and reached the playoffs last year but after a 3-4-1 start this year lost six of their next seven games, dropping out of the tepid NFC East playoff race with a 20-point loss to the hated Cowboys in Week 16.

Since winning the Super Bowl, the Eagles are 22-25-1 and 1-2 in the postseason.

Pederson’s fifth season was marked by repeated bizarre in-game decisions, consistently dubious play calling, continued under-utilization of Miles Sanders and a very good running game and the mysterious decline of Carson Wentz.

It was Pederson’s inability to get Wentz back to his form of the last few years that created the tension that ultimately led to his dismissal.

Wentz struggled all year and Pederson finally benched him for rookie Jalen Hurts in the third quarter of a Week 12 game against the Packers.

According to reports, Wentz believes his relationship with Pederson is beyond repair, and it sure looks like it ultimately came down to Lurie choosing between Wentz, the one-time Pro Bowler, and Pederson, the one-time Super Bowl winner.

For Pederson’s firing to come eight days after the season ended is unusual, but it’s been an unusual season all around.

Lurie and Pederson reportedly met two days after the season ended to discuss Pederson’s future, but Lurie didn’t make the final decision to change coaches for another six days.

The last Eagles head coach who was fired more than two days after the end of the season was Joe Kuharich, who led the Eagles from 1964 through 1968. He wasn’t fired until the following May, after Leonard Tose bought the team from debt-ridden Jerry Wolman.

Lurie has been clear in the past that it’s very unlikely he would ever hire another defensive coach as a head coach, something he last did with Rhodes in 1995.

If the Eagles hire from the inside, which they last did in 1991 with Kotite, who had been Ryan’s offensive coordinator, running backs coach and assistant head coach Duce Staley would be the most logical candidate. Staley led the team this summer when Pederson was sidelined with COVID-19.

Among the hot outside candidates this year are Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley, Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs quarterbacks coach Mike Kafka, Ravens quarterbacks coach James Urban and Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady.

Bieniemy played for the Eagles in 1999 and holds the same position under Reid that Pederson held when Lurie hired him in 2016. Kafka was an Eagles draft pick in 2010, and his position coach with the Eagles was Pederson. Urban spent 2004 through 2010 as an offensive coach with the Eagles under Reid.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

I’m ok with this. Surprised but ok with it.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Guess Lurie didn't like the idea of Press Taylor as OC...

Comment

"Who's he gonna side with? Some old coach or someone who puts fans in the stands?"

Comment

When challenged to get better coaches, he offered more of the same. Can't blame Lurie. Sub 500 record over three years and we will never know how much input he has had into some of the recent draft picks.

Comment

And in all this the guy who picks the players stays. Unreal. I don't blame Lurie in a way because he probably got tired of "gob for it Doug".
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Can we get rid of Howie and start completely over?

thank you Doug for the super bowl win. You’ll always be welcome in this town. But it was time to go.

Comment

All-time football adage------- Can't fire the players---- so when the team losses--- fire the coach!

I'd be happier with this if the team was fairly healthy, just a normal healthy, and then if we only won 4, ok fire his ass. I'm just a little disheartened by the "circumstances" of this year and making that judgment. But what the hell, let's see who comes to town next--- they better have some new ideas though.... cause I don't think we are gonna have too many new players starting. I have seen soooooooooooooooo many coaching changes following this team, that it is sorta routine

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  And in all this the guy who picks the players stays. Unreal. I don't blame Lurie in a way because he probably got tired of "gob for it Doug".
                  I don't think Lurie is done yet. I do think they are going to hire a new personnel guy or maybe just elevate Dorsey and give him a little more say. I think Howie is agreeable to this.

In Contrast

I also think it comes down to this with Doug. From what I understand he wanted to promoted Press Taylor to OC and keep calling the plays. Lurie wanted him to hire somebody from the outside and give up the play calling. I agree with Lurie on this. We all bitched and moaned about Dougs play call for two years now.

None of us would have been happy with Taylor as the OC and Doug continuing to call the plays. They had to make the change.

Notice I didn't say anything about Wentz in this either. Because I still think they are going to trade Wentz. If the rumor of Brian Daball as being the guy they want (Bills OC) He coached Hurts in college. So things may not be over.

This the right move to make by firing Doug. Yes he won us a Super Bowl but this is a sinking ship. Does Howie need to go I think so to. But lets face it we have all been saying our problems are tied to Howies drafting, Dougs Coaching , Injuries and Carson play. Maybe the true issue with this team is the owner?
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

There were way too many injuries this year. I am not thrilled with firing Doug.

I do think that the firing may have to do with his handling of that last game against WFT. I honestly believe it pissed the players off, because it goes against everything that Doug has preached during his time here.

I truly believe some rough times are ahead.

Comment

I’ll throw out a name - Pat Fitzgerald. Fitz has done good things in a tough conference. I have followed Northwestern football for 10 years. Two out of the last three years Fitz won his side of the Big 10 bracket and took the team to the Big 10 championship game. Lost to OSU both times, but both games were competitive well into the second half, which is saying a lot given recruiting footprints of the two schools. Fitz is a good leader and has done a lot with less - so welcome to the Eagles cap situation. He is a defensive coach (former MLB), so a good OC would be a must. He has said he would only leave Northwestern for the Bears, but the NU athletic director just left to become ACC Commish, so I would take a run at him. Philly’s fan base is similar to Chicago’s, and this will appeal to a fiery guy like Fitz.
                      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post

I truly believe some rough times are ahead.
                        Whether Doug was here or not I think we had some rough times ahead.

One other thought dawned on me. I know a lot are blaming injuries and I too think they were hard to overcome. They have changed the medical staff twice since Doug was here. I said a few weeks ago and I think its bears some thought as we look at next year and a new coach. How are the practices run? Do they condition the players enough that they can avoid a lot of those soft tissue injuries we keep getting. I just think there is something to that as part of our injury issue. Its beyond bad luck at this point.

Also in blaming the injuries, we are quick to defend Doug in this but not Howie. The team used 88 players this year. He had to try and keep the roster fill even in a time where other teams could protect additional players on the practice squad, vets could be kept on the practice squad etc. This is not to defend Howie in fact they both are to blame for this.

The true answer to fixing this team lies in how to do you keep your roster healthy? Using 88 players is absurd. The most in the league.
                        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I was good with this either way. But to me this says Carson will be back. Duce Staley makes sense as a head coach in my mind. Look at the success some of these young coaches are having. Duce is a younger version of Eric Bieniemy who is all the rage now. The players will play for him.
                          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Here's the statement from Lurie:

"I have spent the last few weeks evaluating everything from this past year and looking ahead. We are all very disappointed with the way our season went and eager to turn things around, not just for next season but also for the future of the franchise.

"Coach (Doug) Pederson and I had the opportunity to sit down and discuss what that collective vision would look like moving forward. After taking some time to reflect on these conversations, I believe it is in both of our best interests to part ways.

"I have known Doug and his family for more than 20 years and they will always be family to me. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and everything we have accomplished together over the last five seasons. Everyone in the organization understands the type of man and coach that he is, and how much he means to all of us as well as the City of Philadelphia. We all look forward to the day he will be inducted into the Eagles Hall of Fame as a Super Bowl-winning head coach, and we are confident he will have success with his next team.

"But as the leader of this organization, it is imperative for me to do what I believe is best for everyone as we look ahead to the future and move into our next chapter. I know that we have work to do to get back to where we want to be, but I also believe that we have an exceptionally strong group of people in this organization who can help set us up for future success."

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                              I was good with this either way. But to me this says Carson will be back. Duce Staley makes sense as a head coach in my mind. Look at the success some of these young coaches are having. Duce is a younger version of Eric Bieniemy who is all the rage now. The players will play for him.
                              I agree 100%
                              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                              X