Clear All

• Lurie and the ferret

Understanding why Lurie might never fire Roseman
    JAN 14, 2021
    /BY REUBEN FRANK

EAGLES INSIDER

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/reuben-frank][/URL]Reuben Frank

EAGLES INSIDER
    eff Lurie’s steadfast and almost fanatical loyalty to Howie Roseman remains one of the great mysteries surrounding the Eagles.J

We’ve all asked ourselves why Lurie continues to defend everything Roseman does, no matter how shaky Roseman’s draft record, no matter how many big-ticket free agency misses, no matter how glaring the lack of young talent on the roster.

I appreciate all the explanations I’ve gotten on Twitter - Howie has pictures or Howie has a Voodoo doll or Howie has Jeffrey hypnotized.

All reasonable suggestions.

But probably not.

To really understand Lurie’s unwavering trust in Roseman you have to understand Howie.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-eagles-coaching-search-tracker-latest-names-tied-eagles][/URL]Eagles coaching search tracker: Eagles lose out on another candidate

3H AGO
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/falcons-hire-away-arthur-smith-who-also-interviewed-eagles-job][/URL]Falcons hire away another Eagles head coaching candidate

3H AGO
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/would-joe-brady-be-good-fit-eagles-new-head-coach][/URL]Would Joe Brady be a good fit as Eagles new head coach?

3H AGO
    Say what you will about his recent drafts, Roseman is a very smart guy and quite accomplished. He’s a graduate of Fordham Law and a guy who went from unpaid intern under Joe Banner with the Eagles in 1998 to Vice President of football administration in 2006 to general manager in 2010 to NFL executive of the Year in 2017.

Lurie has owned the Eagles for 27 years and Roseman has been there for 22 of those years. Roseman is 45, so he’s spent half of his life working under Lurie.

Even Joe Banner, Lurie’s boyhood friend and one of the key figures in the Eagles’ success under Andy Reid, didn’t last this long under Lurie.

Roseman has been Lurie’s trusted adviser longer than anybody.

And for most of Roseman’s time with the Eagles, the franchise has been successful.

In his first stint as general manager, from 2010 through 2014, the Eagles had three 10-win seasons under two coaches and drafted all-time greats such as Jason Kelce, Fletcher Cox, Nick Foles, Brandon Graham, Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz. Andy Reid was behind a lot of those moves, but Roseman was the general manager and Lurie gives him a great deal of the credit for those picks.

ADVERTISEMENT

In his second stint as general manager, from 2016 through now, the Eagles won a Super Bowl and reached the playoffs three straight years.

So when we see one (benched) Pro Bowler out of the last six drafts, Lurie sees a long, sustained record of success and a general manager who built the only championship team this franchise has had in the last half century.

When we see Doug Pederson getting fired amid the ruins of a four-win season, Lurie sees a Lombardi Trophy on his mantle won by a coach that Roseman helped choose and by players that Roseman helped find.

But I think the loyalty Lurie has shown Roseman goes deeper than that.

There’s a kinship there, a professional connection that really makes the two inseperable.

Roseman speaks Lurie’s language. He knows not only exactly what Lurie wants to hear but exactly how he wants to hear it.

Love him or hate him, you can’t deny that Roseman is remarkably organized, he’s passionate about football and he’s bright enough to be able to articulate a clear vision for the franchise in terms Lurie wants to hear.

When Lurie went into his nonsensical diatribe Monday about how, yeah, maybe the Eagles’ draft picks haven’t always panned out but the guys they REALLY wanted who got picked AHEAD of them turned out to be great … you can just picture Roseman expressing that to Lurie in a way that actually seemed logical to Lurie at the time.

Remember, Roseman is an attorney. He’s trained to be able to make a pretty compelling case for even the most absurd premise.

Maybe one day Lurie will fire Roseman. If the sub-par drafts continue and the losing seasons continue and the next coach doesn’t work out.

Maybe.

But I honestly doubt it. Lurie craves stability. He values consistency. He doesn’t trust a lot of people, and he’s got a trusted adviser who’s been at his side for a quarter of a century. A quarter of a century in which the Eagles have won a lot of football games, made the playoffs more often than not and won a Super Bowl.

In Lurie’s world, it’s been a fruitful, productive relationship for a long, long time. When you put yourself in his shoes, it’s hard to imagine it ending anytime soon.

Subscribe to the Eagle Eye podcast:

Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Spotify | Stitcher | Art19 | Watch on YouTube

"Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Great. Still want to know who decided JJAW over Metcalf and Reagor over Jefferson. That person should have nothing to do with future drafts.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Everyone has a blind spot. Howie will make the rest of us suffer.

Comment

I don't have an issue with Howie as a capologist, I really hope they hand the reigns to the draft to Dorsey. Jeffrey can't be blind to our last few drafts, can he ?
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
          I don't have an issue with Howie as a capologist, I really hope they hand the reigns to the draft to Dorsey. Jeffrey can't be blind to our last few drafts, can he ?
          Blind? Hell he might be making them!
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
            Everyone has a blind spot. Howie will make the rest of us suffer.

Reading Frank's piece makes me sick to my stomach.

Comment

Chargers hire Staley (not Duce, the other one). Also, looks like Fontenot and Campbell are about to be HC's. Looks like the Texans would like Beinemy.

I guess the Eagles are going to try and outsmart everyone else

It's always a gamble hiring a new coach. I would rather have had them keep Doug. Now I am hoping they hire Duce and then get him top notch DC and OC's..
              Last edited by Pliny; 01-17-2021, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Could be Daboll.... unless they can convince Lincoln Riley. Shaw and Fitzgerald are other college coaches I like, but they don’t seem to be in the conversation at all. I want a fresh set of eyes, which rules out Duce.
                Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Working...
                X