X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a couple of eye openers concerning Wentz

SearchBleeding Green Nation main menuALL 300 COMMUNITIES ON
    Breaking News#ThankYouDoug?
    FILED UNDER:New Carson Wentz report details the Eagles’ quarterback being uncoachable and insubordinate

Yikes.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Jan 16, 2021, 8:36am EST
    175 CommentsShare this storyPhoto by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images
    With the Philadelphia Eagles firing Doug Pederson, the organization seems to be hoping that a new head coach can “fix” Carson Wentz.

But the reality is that Carson Wentz needs to play a big part in fixing Carson Wentz. It’s naive to believe a new head coach will make all the difference if the 28-year-old quarterback doesn’t prove more amenable to coaching.

I know I’ve already beaten the “Wentz isn’t coachable and that’s a big concern” drum to death. I’ve highlighted my my conversation with Joe Santoliquito on BGN Radio countless times by now.

If you’re still in denial, though, perhaps some new reporting from the Inquirer’s Jeff McLane will finally change your mind. McLane shared some very insightful details regarding Wentz’s struggles and how the Eagles have coddled him too much. It’s seriously a must-read column but I’ll share some highlights and reactions here:
    Wentz’s Type-A personality could be credited just as much for his past success. Many top quarterbacks share the same trait. But the 28-year-old had increasingly rebuffed advice, defied criticism, and clashed with former coach Doug Pederson last season, Eagles sources said. “Every great quarterback wants to be coached and they want to be coached hard and by the best, and it doesn’t seem like [Wentz] wants that,” one source said. “It’s kind of like whoever’s coaching him is working for him. But it can’t be that way.”

Yep. We’ve all heard about how Wentz didn’t like being coached hard by John DeFilippo despite his success under him.
    In the quarterback room, when his errors were pointed out, Wentz would sometimes make irrelevant excuses and Taylor wouldn’t correct him. For instance, there would be a play when he didn’t throw to an open receiver. The read was drawn up as designed, the coverage played out as expected, and he would be asked why he didn’t pull the trigger. And Wentz would say the look wasn’t there, or he would overemphasize the pass rush, and when it was suggested the play be run again in practice as to get it right, he would object.

We’ve been saying for some time now that Wentz’s relationship with his quarterbacks coach is too buddy-buddy.
    There was a disconnect even before Wentz was benched, though. Pederson would call a play only for his quarterback to occasionally kill it for no other reason than his personal distaste, sources said. It became “a pissing match” between the two, another source said. [...] Pederson’s play-calling was also dubious. He would go long stretches without rolling Wentz out of the pocket to take advantage of his ability to throw on the move. Wentz, in turn, made “bizarre kills that made no sense and effectively was going rogue,” one source said.

I mean, this is just straight up insubordination. And it lines up with what I’ve previously said about Wentz having a lot of power (read: too much) in this offense. 2020’s struggles can hardly be pinned on Pederson alone.

Wentz isn’t solely responsible for the Eagles’ ineptitude, either. He’s certainly been failed by the organization in certain respects. But Wentz himself has undoubtedly played a major part in his own and, subsequently, the Eagles’ downfall.

I wrote at the time of Wentz’s benching that I hoped the experience would humble. But it doesn’t really seem like it did. Prior to Pederson’s firing, there were reports about how he wanted to be traded. And one can only believe that information came from Wentz’s camp considering it’s not like the team gains leverage from their quarterback wanting out. It just doesn’t seem like Wentz is willing to admit that he’s been a big part of the problem.

A fresh start for Wentz and the Eagles might really be what’s best for both sides at this point. Of course, all that money Jeffrey Lurie owes him doesn’t make it easy for the team to move on.

But the current dynamic just doesn’t seem tenable. The Eagles can’t continue to cater to Wentz the way they have thus far.
    FEATURED VIDEOS FROM SB NATION
    Skip in 2s

NEXT UP IN NFL

And This:

Jalen Hurts, Carson Wentz, and the Eagles’ quarterback situation: 14 things I think about the Birds - Bleeding Green Nation
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Hmmm. It seemed like there were an excessive number of times when Wentz would approach the line and yell "Kill Kill".

Comment

Well if this is true then Doug also needs to be held accountable for trying to promote Press Taylor. Whether Carson refused to be coached or not, Press clearly didn't do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
        Hmmm. It seemed like there were an excessive number of times when Wentz would approach the line and yell "Kill Kill".
        Yeah, like every other play and none of them ever worked. And Pliny,, why the heck was was DP pushing for Taylor? What a friekin mess!

Comment

And the media continues spin................

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            And the media continues spin................
            Too many corroborating stories MD. I read a similar article that came out of Aikman's mouth that said the same thing. He's not going to put his career on the line with a big situation like this.

Comment

I said long ago that I think Carson had too much say in things. Early on, maybe his second year, there were reports that he was asked about potential draft picks. They realized early on he was a great talent and it seemed they were going to treat him like Brady or Brees. You know, that can happen but it better be in year 12 or 13 not 2 or 3
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

Too many corroborating stories MD. I read a similar article that came out of Aikman's mouth that said the same thing. He's not going to put his career on the line with a big situation like this.
                Sorry, but the media and it”sources” needs a co-signer to pay cash.

Comment

You're probably right .

Comment

I agree with what you're saying here. But, sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post

I agree with what you're saying here. But, sometimes where there's smoke, there's fire.
                      Yes, sometimes, but with today’s media I tend to err on the side of “These bastards will throw shit up against any wall and at any time” .... cause this is now all about clicks and space to fill and jobs to keep.... not actual journalism. They could be right this time, but I refuse to take any of it to the bank till it’s a fact .

Yes, my rating for the media, including sports, is about a minus 200 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Comment

Hurts said Kill Kill a lot too honestly. I think the issue is the play calling which might have been predicated by the offensive line issues somewhat. It really is hard to put it all on anyone person with all of the issues up front this year. Stoutland really did yeoman's work with that group honestly.
                        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                          Hurts said Kill Kill a lot too honestly. I think the issue is the play calling which might have been predicated by the offensive line issues somewhat. It really is hard to put it all on anyone person with all of the issues up front this year. Stoutland really did yeoman's work with that group honestly.
                          I just remember that every time he yelled kill kill kill whatever play that he went to went nowhere.

Comment

Some QBs have more leeway than others. If I'm calling the plays, I generally want the QB to run the play that I've called. And, if he keeps kill killing it, and then whatever he audibles to continues not to work, then that is probably going to create some serious friction between me and the QB. Especially if I'm looking at the same defense the QB is, and I don't agree with him changing the play.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                              Some QBs have more leeway than others. If I'm calling the plays, I generally want the QB to run the play that I've called. And, if he keeps kill killing it, and then whatever he audibles to continues not to work, then that is probably going to create some serious friction between me and the QB. Especially if I'm looking at the same defense the QB is, and I don't agree with him changing the play.
                              Can't be any more logical than that
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X