Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to think Carson Wentz is an insufferable douche.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to think Carson Wentz is an insufferable douche.

I really hate to say it. Could be wrong. Hope I'm wrong. BUT, going back to last year, there were the rumors out of the locker room. Just rumors, of course. Then, he gets obviously butt hurt over the Eagles drafting Hurts. Heck, I didn't like the pick at the time. Hated it. But, if you're a starting NFL QB, you can't let shit like that get under your skin. The Packers did basically the same thing. Did, it effect Aaron Rogers? Sure didn't look like it. Then, the dude goes out and literally plays like the worst starter in the entire NFL. I know a lot of it wasn't his fault. But, a LOT of it was his fault. And, of course there's more rumors, just rumors mind you, that the guy is aloof, refuses to hold himself accountable, and is uncoachable. So now, here we are. It's obvious that, regardless of what happened last year, the Eagles FO is trying to put a staff in place to help this guy succeed. They stated publicly that they want him in the plans moving forward. And, now we have this:

NFL insider says Carson Wentz ‘feels a little bit off in his relationship with the entire [Eagles] organization’ - Bleeding Green Nation

Yes, more rumors and sources, but you know what? Wentz could easily put all this shit to bed by simply stating that he's ready to get his career back on track, and he's looking forward to working with the new coaches. But, instead there's just silence, which as we know speaks volumes. It's time to move on, but I'm thinking the poor little fellow is still just soooo butt hurt that he just can't get past it. Boo hooo hooo. Maybe he's trying to force a trade, although he hasn't come out and said it, which would be some McNabbesque passive aggressive shit. If, and I do mean if this stuff is true, and there's really no reason to think someone made it up, he's probably poisoning the well as far as trades are concerned. I know a lot of people think a trade to Indy to be reunited with Reich is a desired destination for him, but the new HC is Reich's guy. They're bringing in guys to try and rehabilitate Wentz. They fired the entire coaching staff, except for a couple guys. And, this dude is still butt hurt over last year.

If that's the case, they need to kick this dude to the curb, trade him for whatever they can get, and move on. It's time to move on. And, if poor little Carson Wentz can't get past it, and move on himself, they need to be done with him ASAP.

I'm not going to say an insufferable douche but I do think the kid is trying to force his way out of Philly. If he really wants out though he needs to redo his deal so the Birds can trade him. I'd be all in on getting rid of him if he adjusts his deal and you can get anything for him of value. I'll roll with Jalen Hurts next year with a top 5 running game and a healthy top 5 offensive line. Running the ball down people's throats is going to work for the Browns. It worked for the 49ers. Just go that direction. When we won the Super Bowl we won it because of our running game.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I think he may be soft. He has been a small town guy his whole life and had success everywhere he has gone. You could argue he has not really had a lot of competition either. It probably ate at him that Foles won that SB. Having tens of millions of dollars thrown at you is also a bit overwhelming. You can be smart, accurate and a heck of a QB, but eth money, spotlight and locker room change the dynamic. I don't want to see him struggle here or elsewhere. That is a big burden on any kid. I do think Hurts is a mentally tough kid and handled the Bama situation incredibly well and did well with the one and done in OK. He may not be a more skilled QB, but may have the mental acuity to be a better ball player.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
        I think he may be soft. He has been a small town guy his whole life and had success everywhere he has gone. You could argue he has not really had a lot of competition either. It probably ate at him that Foles won that SB. Having tens of millions of dollars thrown at you is also a bit overwhelming. You can be smart, accurate and a heck of a QB, but eth money, spotlight and locker room change the dynamic. I don't want to see him struggle here or elsewhere. That is a big burden on any kid. I do think Hurts is a mentally tough kid and handled the Bama situation incredibly well and did well with the one and done in OK. He may not be a more skilled QB, but may have the mental acuity to be a better ball player.
        That's a good point. Maybe Wentz just feels like he can't deal with all the adversity. There's been a ton of it, no doubt. I can see where he might feel like he's just had enough, and wants to start over somewhere else. I get that. But, at this point, I feel like the Eagles still believe in him, even though he was dogpile lase year, and they are trying to bring in the right people to help him. He either needs to get over it quickly, or they need to move on from him. The offseason starts now. Shit or get off the pot.

And, I agree on Hurts. This kid has definitely shown that he can deal with adverse situations. He's been through a lot of shit, and he appears to be mentally tough. He doesn't let stuff get to him. He moves on. Which is what the Eagles need to do, with, or without Wentz.

Comment

There are only a handful of things in the entire thread I can buy and feel comfortable buying. Wentz hasn't talked-- yep. Hurts showed some great toughness in his handling and moving on from Bama-- yep I can buy he has shown mental toughness. Eagles still believe in Wentz--yep Lurie came out and said theat. Of course he could just be saying that.
          I am all in that this is a shit show. But maybe we haven't heard from Wentz because he doesn't want to deal with it through the media. Maybe he has seen how the media can twist and turn like Chubby Checker. Is he 'butt hurt' over it or is he just pissed at how things went down. Who knows but some guy that says NFL insider says butt hurt but there isn't one person that has or will go on record. Is he soft-- who knows just some rumor mill. Is a new wife, a new baby, a new contract, a new move to a new state too much for him. Maybe but there is nothing solid to say there is.
          Do I think there is a problem. Yes I do. I'm not sure what it is and I'm not sure anyone outside of the team knows. Hell for all we know Lurie and he met and he laid it out that the staff was the problem so Lurie got rid of them. Or Duce met with Lurie and told him backing Wentz was backing the wrong horse. Fans just don't know. But I think new coach guy needs to lay it out that this is my QB or we will have a QB comp in camp and the winner will be my QB. But it needs to be ironed out IMM
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

My concern is NOT moving on from Wentz now could be kicking the can down the road for what return? I think the guy is damaged mentally beyond repair... at least here in Philly.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I don't think he is a insufferable Douche. Everything that is being reported is just rumors. Does he want to leave, don't know that, he hasn't said it. Does he want to stay, don't know that he hasn't said it. In fact he hasn't said anything .One can infer by not saying anything he wants out. But its the offseason, a season that was not good for him. Maybe he is just taking some time to figure it all out.
              Now me Personally I think he is going to get traded. Not because he asks for it, but more because they need to rebuild this team. By the time they are better Wentz may be 32 or 33 years old. They may shock everyone and take a QB in round 1 and trade both Hurts and Wentz. Who knows at this point.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I have really been a huge Wentz guy and that may be why I’m not sold on Hurts at all. His first two games he looked great but once teams had a little tape and knew they would be facing him, his performance dropped badly. That’s not to say he isn’t a great talent and won’t become a franchise QB - he very well may. But we haven't seen enough from him either way, so with that in mind we would be crazy to trade Wentz - especially when his value is at its lowest point.

As far as him being butt hurt I have no idea if that’s the case or if he is trying to take a few months away from everything to clear his head. Of course learning that 75% of the coaching staff has been replaced might warrant breaking radio silence and offering the coach who helped draft and develop you a public show of support. If however Wentz is the cause of that coaching change, that’s a different story. I’d expect him to avoid the media and spotlight until camp starts and so far it appears that this is the path he is taking so infer what you will. If it turns out that he really is ‘off licking his wounds’ and trying to sooth his bruised ego because the team dared to ask him to earn his starting spot, then I say ‘Grow the fuck up and stop your whining you little bitch!’ Honestly in the real world you compete for your job every day. I’ve been in my field for over 30 years and there are young kids with different skill sets more attuned to advanced technology that I have to compete with every day. That’s life. It doesn’t matter what field you’re in there is always someone looking to take your job. If Carson can’t deal with that then he should take his money go buy a beach house and watch the ocean for the next 50 years. There is no one who is going to give you a job for life.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I read somewhere that Siri reached out to Wentz. If Siri does not hear what he needs to hear then I would be moving on from Wentz. What’s best for the team is Wentz to start and Hurts to back up. If either Wentz or Hurts does not buy in I would move them. If it is Wentz, I would seriously consider drafting a QB in round 1. New day in Eagle Nation. If Wentz does not feel it, move on.

Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                  Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

"If either Wentz or Hurts does not buy in I would move them."
                    Absolutely, have said and always will say no one is bigger than the team. If I am the coach (or owner for that matter) I am talking to people. If I feel anyone isn't 100% on board with what I want they have to go.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

I'm thinking that the language I used was a little strong. But, it simply ticks me off. The Eagles knew that Pederson and Wentz could no longer coexist after last season. They made a decision to clean house on the coaching staff. Then, they publicly stated that they wanted Wentz in their plans going forward, and they apparently made all the prospective HC's aware of this. And then, they go out and hire one of Reich's guys, an offensive mind, and an OC that did a great job working with Hebert with the Chargers. They basically catered everything they did in the coaching department to trying to rehabilitate Wentz. And, the latest report indicates that Wentz STILL has issues. Jesus buddy, what do they need to do? Change your diaper? To me it's a bit aggravating.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                        I'm thinking that the language I used was a little strong. But, it simply ticks me off. The Eagles knew that Pederson and Wentz could no longer coexist after last season. They made a decision to clean house on the coaching staff. Then, they publicly stated that they wanted Wentz in their plans going forward, and they apparently made all the prospective HC's aware of this. And then, they go out and hire one of Reich's guys, an offensive mind, and an OC that did a great job working with Hebert with the Chargers. They basically catered everything they did in the coaching department to trying to rehabilitate Wentz. And, the latest report indicates that Wentz STILL has issues. Jesus buddy, what do they need to do? Change your diaper? To me it's a bit aggravating.
                        And all of this from a supposed leader of men, which is probably the most important function of a QB. Reports have to be taken with a grain of salt, but for better or worse Siri will know what he is dealing with when he speaks to Wentz. Not long ago we thought we had the most important position on the team nailed for the next decade .... time will tell, but more questions than answers at the moment.
                        Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                        Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Yep EB... I totally agree. Ok Carson we did some things to make you happy. Now he happy back here buddy. The clock is ticking here.

or redo your deal so you can GTFO

Comment

IMO it's a confluence of circumstances/events that led to this point. Every one has been discussed here on this board. Boils down to Roseman/Doug/Carson. The FO and ownership apparently has cast it's lot in with Wentz over Doug. Until he addresses it, Wentz's faith/trust in the organization cannot be gauged. I believe that if he's soured on the team and FO, he should say so and facilitate a move. Rip the BandAid off. The silence allows for rampant speculation and rumors to pour into the vacuum. I think he should speak. Or direct his people to release a statement and leave it at that.

I also think that he is used to being a big fish in a little pond (like at NDSU) and when he's just another big fish in the big ocean, it grates on him for whatever reason. That is human. One cannot control others but can control self. Elevate your play.

Saw this piece today. Don't know if it fits this thread at all, but I thought it was interesting.

EXCERPT -
                            .....Wentz has not spoken publicly since the season ended, and has yet to signal whether he sees a path forward in Philadelphia.

Management hopes there is one. Following Pederson's firing, Lurie said it "behooves us as a team with a new coach, a new coaching staff, to be able to really get him back to that elite progression." The quarterback situation was a central focus of the interview process with prospective head coaches, sources said. Lurie set the tone for those sessions by saying beforehand he sees Wentz as "very fixable" -- a stance they reportedly emphasized to candidates.

But, is Wentz fixable? And is Sirianni, 39, the man who can fix him?

What is Sirianni up against?

Wentz, the Eagles' 2016 first-round pick, has developed a reputation of being a challenge to coach.

He's a Type-A personality who has strong convictions and a stubborn streak to match. Early in Wentz's tenure, when he was ripping up the league and making a hard charge toward an MVP award in 2017, the positives of those traits were naturally emphasized.

"I remember going [to North Dakota State] and [Wentz] saying that his coaches used to say he had a lot of arguments with his offensive coordinator," former Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich said in 2017. "For me, I took that as a good thing, because he knew what he wanted, he knew what was good, and we welcomed that and that's a good dynamic."

Given Wentz's high football IQ, Pederson gave him more and more influence over the offense. He built in a "take it" system he compared to the one quarterback Peyton Manning used to run, where Wentz would get to the line of scrimmage and call out a play based off what he saw pre-snap. Wentz noted at the time he would go into Pederson's office upwards of three times a day during the week to talk game planning, asking him, "What do you think about this idea?" and "How do you feel about this?"

While that cognitive ability and sense of ownership is what teams look for in a franchise quarterback, it has been taken to the extreme at times. Coaches have had difficulty convincing Wentz he doesn't have all the answers. He is often reluctant to play within the system, according to sources. That task of harnessing him became more difficult when Reich and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, who played the good cop/bad cop roles with great effectiveness, were poached from the staff following the team's 2017 championship run, leaving fewer voices that could keep Wentz in check.

A confluence of circumstances brought the situation to a head this past season. Wentz became irritated, a source said, when the freedom he is accustomed to having over the offense was largely stripped from him as injuries and inefficiency forced the coaches to simplify the approach. When he lost control, his faith in Pederson's playcalling was believed to be lost with it.

Some of Wentz's doubts were warranted. There was no discernable offensive identity to anchor into in 2020, sources said, partly as the result of a thrown-together coaching staff whose ideas and teachings didn't connect with one another. The issues on offense were compounded by a rash of injuries, including to the offensive line, which used a record 13 different starting combinations over the first 14 weeks.

Wentz was running an offense he didn't fully buy into, behind a battered front, without safety net tight end Zach Ertz, while throwing to a group of young wide receivers who had yet to develop chemistry with him. Bad combination. His confidence eroded as the hits mounted and was further affected, some believe, by the presence of Hurts, who was playing increasingly well with the scout team and continued to gain ground in Wentz's rearview mirror before eventually passing him.

Greg Cosell, senior producer at NFL Films and executive producer/analyst for the NFL Matchup show, believes Wentz's mechanics have become so out of whack coaches "need to start from scratch."

"They need to start literally with taking the snap, his drop, his plant, how he delivers a football," Cosell said.

Wentz is what Cosell describes as a "long strider." He has a wide base when he throws, something that became more pronounced during his down 2020 season. When you over stride and don't have a compact delivery, Cosell explained, you have to rush your arm to catch up, leading to inaccuracy, typically in the form of sailing balls. Wentz had the highest off-target percentage in the NFL last season at 23.6%, according to ESPN Stats & Information. In other words, almost a quarter of his throws were off the mark.

"That's one of his main fundamental issues that needs to be cleaned up. That is fixable. Anything from the waist down is fixable," Cosell said.....
                            Philadelphia's front office reportedly emphasized to its new coach that the team's 2016 first-round pick is "fixable." Let's dig into the repair job.

Comment

Taz nailed it when he pointed out we have not heard from Wentz. It's pretty shocking that we haven't and somewhat adds some believability to the stories we are hearing.

I will say, the articles out there do worry me that Wentz simply thinks he is better than he is. The best of the best know there is always room for improvement and take on responsibility when things don't go well. I am concerned that Wentz doesn't think he needs improvement, is not hungry enough to do the work to earn it, and has a problem admitting any part of the blame. Great QBs simply don't do those things. When the going gets tough......

when we drafted him, I thought he had that mindset. This is the first time I am questioning it. I hope he proves us all wrong and can improve and be tough minded and become a team leader that everyone wants to play with and be lead by.

If not, I'd rather ride with the mentality of Hurts. Even if his talent level is not equal to Wentz.

Comment

Working...
                              X