Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to think Carson Wentz is an insufferable douche.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good post Dawk and thoughtprocess that is an interesting article. I can certainly see where that could be accurate. However, I will say this. Many people, certainly me, have said players need to STFU and not go through the media. If Carson came out and bad mouthed the staff in the press or if he bad mouthed the OL or if he bad mouthed the ERs or, or, or. I would be saying STFU and do your job. So, he now shuts up and people (the media and it is the media that influences people) are up in arms. I am as pissed about the QB situation in Philadelphia as anyone but Lurie & Co have addressed it they way they think it needs to be addressed. Like someone posted above I thought Philly have an MVP level QB for years to come but now it is crap. Now we wait and see. Lurie & Co are all in. Decisions have been made and the path is set. If the QBs are given an opportunity to compete in camp and one wins so be it. If it is Wentz I hope Hurts mans up and supports it. If it is Hurts I hope Wentz checks his shorts to make sure he is a man and supports it. I really don't give a damn about the money. It is Lurie's money and he is making the calls. As for how the contract affects the team I'll say that Howie has given more bonehead contracts than this one.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I don't have a problem with players talking to the media. It's not about that. It's about what they say, and how they handle themselves. It's about attitude. Wentz is supposed to be the guy that's going to lead this team. I would certainly prefer for him to show some intestinal fortitude, and say that's he ready to move on, and show what happened last year was a fluke. That he's ready to work with the new coaches, put last year behind him, and get back to being the QB that the Eagles thought he was when they drafted him, and gave him a franchise QB's contract. And then, show up for the minicamps, work your ass off, and start the process of proving yourself. Maybe saying nothing is a good thing. But, when rumors start swirling like this, it might be time to step up, and put the shit to bed.

Comment

I must wonder just home much fire goes with all this smoke. Knowing that Wentz is a hunter, I believe he would be in the woods or by a lake somewhere .I doubt anyone is with him to question him on his position with the Eagles. I don't think he has ever given us any reason to think he's an asshole. The media is doing all their reporting from their home offices, zero personal contact, I would imagine there is a bunch of 2+2= 5 type of math going on. Only the most credible writers or insiders should be believed. Wentz hasn't said boo and his actions on the sidelines didn't show anything but a supportive team mate. Once camp rolls around we shall see, the rest is all just speculation IMO
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Agree with NoDak here--- we tell them to STFU more times than not.... yet it's all about conspiracy theories when they choose to not get involved with the mess that the media is. As for all this speculation about what Wentz is or isn't -- we all need to remember where it all comes from. A media that doesn't care about being right or wrong or being factual or not. Ultimately, as NoDak noted it is Lurie's money and he can do whatever the hell he wants to. Personally, IMHO, I like the idea of keeping both, with a chance to be a healthy team, and some more talent added in the draft, and then let's see if Wentz can be "Wentzlyvania" once again or we have to move on.

But I'll say it one more time, IMM, it just isn't fair to judge anybody on that team based on 2020, due to Covid, and the unhealthiest team I have ever seen play.

Comment

Look I am not defending his performance. It was terrible for a variety of reasons this year some of which were not his fault but he was absolutely part of it. However, this is all just rumor and writers looking for clickbait. He may be a douche. I just don't know. I am not going to get myself worked up over it. The eagles will do what is in their best interest and that will hopefully result in wins and another ring.

Comment

agree that most of it is rumor and speculation

But we have to admit that team did seem to rally behind Hurts way more than they did with Wentz. They seemingly did the same with Foles before that. Not sure why, but it's very evident to anyone watching the games. Regardless of writers or media, that is an issue we can all see and reason for the local and national media to speculate

last year Wentz and the coach sucked, but only one got kicked to the curb. Again, something easy to speculate on

2+2 may not equal 4. But it sure seems closer to 4 than 5 from my fan view

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                agree that most of it is rumor and speculation

But we have to admit that team did seem to rally behind Hurts way more than they did with Wentz. They seemingly did the same with Foles before that. Not sure why, but it's very evident to anyone watching the games. Regardless of writers or media, that is an issue we can all see and reason for the local and national media to speculate

last year Wentz and the coach sucked, but only one got kicked to the curb. Again, something easy to speculate on

2+2 may not equal 4. But it sure seems closer to 4 than 5 from my fan view
                Indeed, the offense specifically and the team generally seemed to play looser with the QB2s in. For many reasons, everything looked constipated with Wentz in this past season.

Comment

I will buy that 100%. The team dynamics changed with Hurts. How much was the fact that he was an unknown factor to DCs I couldn't tell you but I am certain some of the success he had was based on that. I'd also add that the year before Wentz pulled the team along (according to all sources I read) by himself the last four or five games for them to slip into the playoffs. Much like Hurts pulled them along the last four games. I forget the stat but Wentz did so with no one particular receiver having more than 500 yds receiving if I recall. And there is at least one guy in the locker room (Alshon Jeffrey is the name publicly outed) sabotaging him with other players. I will just say again I have no problem kicking him onto 95 in traffic if he is a problem but I am not sold by these anonymous reports. What I am sold on is a problem in Philly that a new coach is going to have to grab by the balls early on or it will fester.
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

I kind of bought into that too Nodak. albeit it was against the not so mighty Redskins (their name at the time), Giants, and Cowboys and was not exactly all because of the offense

I will agree the weapons sucked and have said the same thing this year (which is why I'm 100% on board with taking the best available of Smith, Chase, Waddle) in this draft. It's a QB league and they all need weapons. I love Mahomes, but would he be that great without Tyreek or Kelce?

but Wentz did have a nice year in 2019. I think it was 27 TDs and 7 INT's with basically crap around him. I was one of the Wentz apologists putting that back at people critical of him.
                    Now I look back and still can't argue the stats, but do question if the veterans truly were following him as their leader? The young guys may have been thrilled for the playing time and loved him. But not all played the same role this year. The greats need all 53 bought in on them

I dunno. I love Wentz. Have a couple jerseys. Spent money on autographed cards of his. I want him to succeed. I am worried though. worried that he doesn't have IT. Worried that the team is seemingly going all in on him after a bad year and how that plays with the other 52

it's going to be a long 8 months

Comment

Hurts had several factors that helped him when he came in. First he was an unknown to opposing teams who likely prepared for a more stationary Wentz and got burned by Hurts’ mobility. Hurts also benefiting by having parts of the oline come back as well as DJax. Wentz was asked to do far too much behind an oline that honestly couldn’t stop me from getting past them. I can’t fault Wentz too much for his performance nor will I go overboard to praise Hurts. Lets see what we really have with both of them when we get a normal series of camps and OTAs and a healthy line and receivers on the field.
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                        Hurts had several factors that helped him when he came in. First he was an unknown to opposing teams who likely prepared for a more stationary Wentz and got burned by Hurts’ mobility. Hurts also benefiting by having parts of the oline come back as well as DJax. Wentz was asked to do far too much behind an oline that honestly couldn’t stop me from getting past them. I can’t fault Wentz too much for his performance nor will I go overboard to praise Hurts. Lets see what we really have with both of them when we get a normal series of camps and OTAs and a healthy line and receivers on the field.
                        I would prefer this approach as well, provided they can get Wentz on board. I just don't know what's going on with him at this point. I will say that, while I won't go overboard in faulting Wentz for his performance, I'm also not going to absolve him of the mistakes that he made which were entirely his fault. A major barrier to fixing Wentz would be for Wentz to refuse to accept that he has issues which need correcting. I've maintained all along that I don't think a QB competition, which could lead to an ongoing controversy is in the best interest of the team. The problem is that it's really hard to hand the job back to Wentz because he played so poorly last year. And, there's something sticking in the back of my mind telling me that if the Eagles try to go the open competition route, Wentz is going to have a problem with it, which would lead me back to the title of this thread.

Comment

I'll add in that while Wentz took a lot of OL sacks FAR TO MANY were absolutely brain dead stupid shit. That is the part that has me wondering what is going on. Most of the other stuff is all just noise but some of those sacks I watched were terrible decisions on his part
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

At the end of the day if Doug got fired because of Wentz then Lurie should be removed as the owner of the team. Its never one thing. There was more to it. The game plans were terrible with either QB, the team seemed ill prepared. They for some reason have suffered a ungodly rash of injuries over the past few years. They have changed medical professionals several times. It all comes back to Doug and Howie. Now Howie's draft have not been good but there should have been more players playing better from them. The staff was just not developing anyone.

Now add in the QB issues and that is why Doug is gone.

As for Carson, he had a bad 12 game stretch and honestly in some of the games he played ok. I still remember the throw to Boston Scott in the Giants game. Carson played like the rest of the team played like utter dog crap. That is why Doug is gone.

I honestly think Carson is going to be back to a top 8-12 QB in this league next year. I just don't think it will be here. The available QB"s are getting crowded but it also opens up those teams who are trading a QB to take a chance on Carson.
                            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

One small nitpick- The team didn't rally around Foles during the playoff run as opposed to Wentz. Wentz was the frontrunner for the league MVP before he went down with the injury. They were a top seed due to Wentz and the offense that year.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                                One small nitpick- The team didn't rally around Foles during the playoff run as opposed to Wentz. Wentz was the frontrunner for the league MVP before he went down with the injury. They were a top seed due to Wentz and the offense that year.
                                agree with all of that. But you would expect a major drop off when your Franchise QB goes out. That hasn't happened, and you could have a decent argument that the opposite happened

if Mahomes was out would the Chiefs be as productive?
                                If Brady was out would the Pats or Bucs be as productive?
                                Rogers?
                                Russell Wilson?
                                Watson?

it's a team game. But man what once looked like a tough situation of an injury and the backup winning it all has turned into a little more concern

Comment

Working...
                                X