Lot's of smoke on a Wentz trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
    Certainly Drew Brees will be out of NO next year. Not sure of their QB situation but they could easily be quietly in the mix
    I actually read that somewhere
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      Certainly Drew Brees will be out of NO next year. Not sure of their QB situation but they could easily be quietly in the mix
      You think the Eagles cap situation is bad? The Saints have the worst cap sit in in entire league. They're 100 million over.

Comment

Guys I think there is zero chance the Eagles won't get under the cap. If they have to, they will release or trade players that might surprise you. There are multiple ways to get under the cap and the primary one is to kick compensation down the road. If they unload Wentz that frees up a lot of space in 2022-2024 to do just that.

Now the Saints... they will get under the cap too but it is highly likely that they are going to have to unload some guys they don't want to. There is a pretty good chance that Kamara is going to restructure as will Armstead, Jordan and Thomas. They likely are going to have to release Kwon Alexander, Ryan Ramczyk and the one that is going to hurt the most... Marshon Lattimore. Lattimore saves them $10 million on the cap with no dead money and unless he is willing to take some sort of oddly structured deal then he is going to be gone. Drew Brees annual contract demands were a selfish play by him. He may redo his deal to kick money down the road too and almost might have to. The Eagles can and will get under the cap. So will the Saints but it is going to be a real painful spring for New Orleans and I don't feel a bit bad about that.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

this is the cap site that I like to use and if you look at the restructure tab you can see that with guys like Fletcher, Brandon Graham, Brooks, Darius Slay, Hargrave, and Lane there is more than $42 million in cap savings the Eagles can get by restructuring deals. Add that into to letting Barnett and his $10 million walk, plus a potential restructure and relief for Wentz on the way out the door plus cutting Ertz, Jackson, AJ, Marquis Goodwin, and Malik Jackson... the Eagles can get under the cap. Now there might be some names released that might surprise you. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelce gone. I think Maddox might not be back. Matt Pryor released after June1 saves them close to a million as does Avery, Hester, Craig James, Marcus Epps, Opeta and a few other guys. Now you have to have bodies but the league minimum is $610k and you need bodies but I do think that the Eagles can plan on a lot of new faces at backup positions this year.... young rookies. The Eagles will be a good place for UDFAs after the draft.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
            https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

this is the cap site that I like to use and if you look at the restructure tab you can see that with guys like Fletcher, Brandon Graham, Brooks, Darius Slay, Hargrave, and Lane there is more than $42 million in cap savings the Eagles can get by restructuring deals. Add that into to letting Barnett and his $10 million walk, plus a potential restructure and relief for Wentz on the way out the door plus cutting Ertz, Jackson, AJ, Marquis Goodwin, and Malik Jackson... the Eagles can get under the cap. Now there might be some names released that might surprise you. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelce gone. I think Maddox might not be back. Matt Pryor released after June1 saves them close to a million as does Avery, Hester, Craig James, Marcus Epps, Opeta and a few other guys. Now you have to have bodies but the league minimum is $610k and you need bodies but I do think that the Eagles can plan on a lot of new faces at backup positions this year.... young rookies. The Eagles will be a good place for UDFAs after the draft.
            I agree that the Eagles and Saints will get under the cap. But, the cupboard is going to be pretty bare after that. I don't mind letting go of Alshon, DJ, Godwin and maybe Ertz. Barnett is probably gone because of his cap savings. But man, I hate to lose him. Malik Jackson is good depth at DT and that would hurt a bit also.

Those teams that are really under the cap are going to get some tremendous bargains this year, because there are going to be very few places that can afford them. This is not the year for players getting those big contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
              Nick in Philly is a good fit guys. I don't get why this is a negative? You need a capable backup and Foles is cheap for a backup at $4 million. And we know he is the ultimate locker room and swallow your pride guy. We also don't want to have anyone saying the backup can play. And after 2 years of what Nick tape no one is going to say he should play instead of Hurts unless Hurts looks like Jamarcus Russell for the first 6 games.

Cohen has a bad contract so we are taking him. He is only 25. And by bad contract I mean next year the Eagles will owe him $3 and then $5 million. That is actually not bad. We paid Sproles that. And maybe this is a sign that the Eagles see what we all see in Boston Scott... that he is just not that good.
              AW, I think that Nick is nothing but a backup QB. He has failed in Jacksonville and Chicago. If you pair him with Doug or Reich you might have a winner because they were the only coaches who can design an offense for him. He ran RPOs better than anyone in the NFL.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

60 ... totally agree on Nick man. He will absolutely be a capable backup. But we saw what he could do when the Eagles got in a pinch. As a relief guy to win you a few games he can manage. Really, Nick is the perfect backup for this team because he is well liked by the locker room and fan base. However, there is enough bad tape out now on the guy that Hurts would be given every possible opportunity and benefit of the doubt.

Comment

That fact that no trade has happened yet, makes me believe that Howie may have overplayed his hand. I have a feeling that we are going to be disappointed with our return on Wentz.

I would be thrilled with getting just the Bears/Colts low #1. But, if we have to give up our high #2 + Wentz, for the Bears #1 + Foles + Cohen, I don't know about that.

Comment

My guess is the Colts, Bears and whomever else have made their offer. And now Wentz and his camp is talking about what his deal would look like. Wentz really wants to go to Indy the most so he might be giving Indy the best deal and be more willing to give the Birds relief to make that happen. I don't care at this point. I just want him off my team. He doesn't want to be here and I don't want him anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                      That fact that no trade has happened yet, makes me believe that Howie may have overplayed his hand. I have a feeling that we are going to be disappointed with our return on Wentz.

I would be thrilled with getting just the Bears/Colts low #1. But, if we have to give up our high #2 + Wentz, for the Bears #1 + Foles + Cohen, I don't know about that.
                      Or the media and agents are all just blowing a lot of smoke and bullshit! Just as possible in my book!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

Or the media and agents are all just blowing a lot of smoke and bullshit! Just as possible in my book!
                        Yep, that’s what I think as well. Same stories being recycled .... tired of reading about Wentz’s “disastrous” season. Everyone with a microphone or a keyboard has a voice. But hey, maybe Natalie Egenolf really is an NFL insider.
                        Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                        Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

L
                          Originally posted by flyered View Post
                          Yep, that’s what I think as well. Same stories being recycled .... tired of reading about Wentz’s “disastrous” season. Everyone with a microphone or a keyboard has a voice. But hey, maybe Natalie Egenolf really is an NFL insider.
                          Maybe half the NFL has been inside her
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

[QUOTE=andrewaters;n535673]. Wentz really wants to go to Indy the most so he might be giving Indy the best deal and be more willing to give the Birds relief to make that happen/QUOTE]

Aw you have good takes on stuff but unless you are Wentz’ brother or mother there is no way in hell to know where he wants to go the most. For all anyone really knows he might want to go to Texans since that is where he bought his house and land (for the record I have no idea if he wants to go to Texans).
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

NoDak... I'm not saying I know I'm saying what the scuttle is with the beat writers that I follow on Twitter. Trust me man... they know. Beat writers get inside info from agents and front office guys that helps make things happen. Wentz agent is probably leaking that to his writer of choice to try and make it happen. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Another “news report”: Bears getting “really impatient” rather than just “impatient” yesterday. Confirmation that nobody knows anything! Draft picks are fungible collateral. Quarterbacks aren’t. If the Bears want The Wentz they can be as impatient as they want, but the Eagles should not feel compelled to move. At the end of the day I don’t really believe there is “a point of no return” here. There are always avenues to a reconciliation, and I for one hope the Eagles pursue it rather than start over.
                                Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                                Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Working...
                                X