Lot's of smoke on a Wentz trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
    60 ... totally agree on Nick man. He will absolutely be a capable backup. But we saw what he could do when the Eagles got in a pinch. As a relief guy to win you a few games he can manage. Really, Nick is the perfect backup for this team because he is well liked by the locker room and fan base. However, there is enough bad tape out now on the guy that Hurts would be given every possible opportunity and benefit of the doubt.
    I think the thing that everybody forgets about hurts is that he only won one of his fourth starts to. And our team was so bad last year that I doubt if Brady could’ve done anything with it. I am still hoping that all the Wentz talk it is just talk period. These guys have to write about something I am hoping.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I see all this media crap about Howie overplaying his hand etc. These are from people who never negotiated a thing in their life. The one thing that Howie has proven is to be a good trader. His biggest downfall is the draft and he is so -so with free agency. But trades he rarely loses in. Look they still have 36 days till the start of the new year. Plus another 3 till Carson's bonus is due. The bonus could be moved back and I am sure his agent would agree to that if it helps the trade market. A ton can happen in 39 days. None of the names mentioned liked Mariota or Darnold are as good as Wentz when he is right. He will be right again no doubt in my mind. If the other teams want to roll with Mariota or Darnold then good for them. They are getting the lesser of the three QB's.

Plus quite frankly its this. Wentz is the one pushing for the trade, I don't think the Eagles want to trade him. They will if the price is right. If they don't get their price they will simply keep him and then Wentz will need to make a decision. Show up and compete or stay away get fined (all the while the Eagles get saving on the salary cap) and ruin any chance of getting another job. Remember this, he is 28 years old. The Eagles are basically cap neutral this year if they trade him. In 2022 they could cut him with a post June 1st designation and only take a 12 mill cap hit in 2022 and a 12 mill cap hit in 2023. Now that still is a ton of cash no doubt. But Carson will be 30 with his last significant playing time being in 2020 and he played like shit most of the year. In other words he would ruin any chance of getting anything but a backup job elsewhere.
      So as much as the media does not want to admit it, the Eagles are in the drivers seat here. They know next year is going to be a down year anyway. So they roll with Hurts or more than likely a rookie like Wilson or Trey Lance. Carson is the 3rd string guy never see's the field, the cap hit is the same either way.

I personally think they get a 1st this year, a pick next year that can be as high as a 1st but more than likely settles as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, an additional 3rd day pick or a player this year.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        I see all this media crap about Howie overplaying his hand etc. These are from people who never negotiated a thing in their life. The one thing that Howie has proven is to be a good trader. His biggest downfall is the draft and he is so -so with free agency. But trades he rarely loses in. Look they still have 36 days till the start of the new year. Plus another 3 till Carson's bonus is due. The bonus could be moved back and I am sure his agent would agree to that if it helps the trade market. A ton can happen in 39 days. None of the names mentioned liked Mariota or Darnold are as good as Wentz when he is right. He will be right again no doubt in my mind. If the other teams want to roll with Mariota or Darnold then good for them. They are getting the lesser of the three QB's.

Plus quite frankly its this. Wentz is the one pushing for the trade, I don't think the Eagles want to trade him. They will if the price is right. If they don't get their price they will simply keep him and then Wentz will need to make a decision. Show up and compete or stay away get fined (all the while the Eagles get saving on the salary cap) and ruin any chance of getting another job. Remember this, he is 28 years old. The Eagles are basically cap neutral this year if they trade him. In 2022 they could cut him with a post June 1st designation and only take a 12 mill cap hit in 2022 and a 12 mill cap hit in 2023. Now that still is a ton of cash no doubt. But Carson will be 30 with his last significant playing time being in 2020 and he played like shit most of the year. In other words he would ruin any chance of getting anything but a backup job elsewhere.
        So as much as the media does not want to admit it, the Eagles are in the drivers seat here. They know next year is going to be a down year anyway. So they roll with Hurts or more than likely a rookie like Wilson or Trey Lance. Carson is the 3rd string guy never see's the field, the cap hit is the same either way.

I personally think they get a 1st this year, a pick next year that can be as high as a 1st but more than likely settles as a 2nd or 3rd rounder, an additional 3rd day pick or a player this year.
        I don't know. First, you are assuming that Wentz is going to return to his 2017 form as the basis for all of this. That is certainly not a given. There may be no doubt in your mind, but I think you are probably in the minority there. You also have to factor in his injury history as well. And, then there's that contract. To me, the Eagles might be in the driver's seat, but they're driving a 1982 YUGO. They really don't have a lot of leverage. They're stuck between a player who is not going to be easily traded, and a player that wants out of town. Howie usually does well in trades. That is true, and it definitely helped them get over Chip Kelly and win a super bowl. But, this is a very, very difficult situation. They are not going to be able to dictate terms, and they are probably not going to get what they feel is fair value for the guy because they have so much invested in a player that has not played up to his contract. It could come down to the Eagles, having done everything they can in the coaching department to try to rehabilitate him so he can earn his contract and return to form, have now been put into a position where they have to trade the guy, because he is an insufferable douche who's delicate psyche can't get over the fact that they benched him last season, and that he might have to actually compete for his job this year. If that's the driver's seat, they probably wish they had taken the bus.

Comment

The Eagles GM won't get two first-round picks for his struggling QB, but at what point will he have to take the best offer and what will that offer look like?

Comment

Looks like Jaws, certainly an insider, has a take on what the birds can get for Wentz. Just a fan's take but I would think two 2s would be the floor for what you take for Wentz. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of conditional in the trade. Eagles want guarantees I would think but if I am the receiving team I think I would try to give picks that only come about if Wentz plays and attains certain thresholds

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ron-jawo...-trade-rumors/
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

I too think if the right offer doesn't appear you don't move Wentz. Yes there very well could be some broken relationships but Pederson and his staff is mostly gone which would allow certainly make it easier to reconcile. The locker room stuff is just rumors but if it is real I don't have an answer for that.

Comment

1st and 2nd rounders are not all the same. If it’s the Colts it’s pick 21 and 54 this year. If they make one a 2022 pick they could be even lower.

either way, that has to be the lowest we should accept. And if I’m the Eagles I would not accept anything other than those picks this year.

54 this year and maybe a second rounder even lower next year is not all that thrilling.

Hoping someone ponies up at least one first and if not, hope the 2nd comes from Broncos or Niners instead

Comment

T
                  he Athletic's Zak Keefer reports NFL teams are "showing over the last week that they're not gonna budge on the Eagles' very, very steep initial offer" for Carson Wentz.

Keefer named the Colts and implied other teams are in the market for Wentz, who is certainly on his way out of Philadelphia. The Bears have reportedly shown interest in acquiring Wentz, but even a QB-hungry team like Chicago seems unwilling to pay a premium for Wentz. The Eagles reportedly don't want to give up Wentz for less than the Lions got from the Rams for Matthew Stafford -- namely, a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, and a 2023 first-round pick. Wentz's total debacle of a 2020 campaign complicates things for Philadephia. The Wentz trade rumors could persist for weeks -- or months -- unless the Eagles budge.
                  Philadelphia Eagles news, stats, schedule and depth chart

Comment

Jaworski said a second this year, a second next year and possibly a third or 4th next year from Indy
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Don’t do it. Wentz has probably come to realize that nobody is indispensable and will exhibit more maturity in the future. Surround him with weapons. Team is not as far away as it seemed at times this year. They almost beat Baltimore and Pittsburgh .... and of course lost to the non-Redskins twice!
                      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

If you're still hoping to see the Eagles get two first-round picks for Carson Wentz, Joe Banner has one word for you: fuhgeddabouditt.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          Jaworski said a second this year, a second next year and possibly a third or 4th next year from Indy
                          Is Rivers going to retire?
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

Is Rivers going to retire?
                            yeah he already announced it.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post

yeah he already announced it.
                              yes, what Vin said
                              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                              X