NBC Sports/Philly Had An Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC Sports/Philly Had An Idea

It is an interesting one too. What do you guys think ?

Why not include Zach Ertz to sweeten a Carson Wentz trade?
    1H AGO
    /BY DAN ROCHE

Carson Wentz is on the block. This much we know.

We can also surmise that the market for Wentz isn’t, shall we say, robust. Right now, the Bears and the Colts are the only teams that are showing up in reports as genuine suitors for his Wentz’s services. And this is in an offseason where at least a dozen teams are looking to upgrade at the quarterback spot.

Howie Roseman wants to get as much as he possibly can in return, but at the same time, he knows that he is trying to sell a distressed asset. Despite four strong NFL seasons, including one where he was on the MVP short list before blowing out his knee, Wentz doesn’t exactly have them lined up around the block to throw draft picks at the Eagles. The recency bias is seriously in play here.

Roseman has spent quite a bit on Wentz, from the draft picks sent away to acquire him, to the millions paid to keep him. And now, he’s in serious danger of getting 15-to-25 cents on the dollar for him.

So what’s a guy to do, if he wants to maximize his return?

You sweeten the deal. You include Wentz’s sidekick. You include Zach Ertz.

1H AGO
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-trade-carson-wentz-include-zach-ertz-bears-colts][/URL]Why not include Zach Ertz to sweeten a Carson Wentz trade?

1H AGO
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-hiring-south-jersey-native-tyler-brown-special-teams-assistant][/URL]Eagles hiring South Jersey native as special teams assistant

13H AGO
    Like Wentz, Ertz has already resigned himself to the fact he’s not returning to the Eagles for the 2021 season. You remember his press conference after the season finale.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ertz had been pressing management for a contract extension for more than a year without any luck. Trading (or cutting) him will save the Eagles about $4.7 million.

The 3-time Pro Bowler will be 31 in November, but it wasn’t that long ago that Wentz and Ertz were among the most prolific tandems in the NFL. Before an injury-plagued 2020 season, Ertz’s career had a Hall of Fame trajectory.

Here are Ertz’s numbers and rank among NFL tight ends since entering the NFL in 2013:

• Receptions: 561 (2nd)

• Receiving Yds: 6,078 (2nd)

• TD: 36 (T-4th)

Ertz is set to make $8.25M in 2021, which doesn't help a lot, especially considering the salary cap will be going down for next season. But there was notable interest in Ertz on the trade market approaching the 2020 trade deadline before Ertz was placed on IR with a high ankle sprain.

If a team wants Wentz to find his old form, one way of helping him get there is to include his favorite target and his best friend from his former team.

In the 58 games they’ve played together, Wentz threw 209 more passes to Zach Ertz than to any other pass target.

Ertz has often been Wentz’s first read – and sometimes, his only read – at the top of his dropback. He’s Carson’s security blanket.

Roseman certainly doesn’t owe Wentz anything, as far as sending him to a preferred team. Wentz has been paid handsomely for what he has given the franchise. But packaging Ertz with his best pal would be a nice tip of the cap on the way out.

And it might just close the deal.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

That has been tossed around for awhile; can be a poor man's Brady/Gronk thing that would never turn out to be Brady/Gronk quality. Personally I have no qualm with it and would encourage it if it helps bring about a trade that is GOOD for the EAGLES. GOOD FOR THE EAGLES is the bottom line. I hope things turn out good for Ertz because he gave Philly a lot. I also hope it turns out good for Wentz.
    There is little doubt that the football landscape has changed in Philly so get it on and show us what Howie & Co are going to throw out there next year.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I discussed the situation with my sports writer friend last night while sitting in the lobby as my daughter had basketball practice. And I get it you guys are tired of me referencing this guy but he is on the inside guys and knows how the gears of this all work.

His comments are... he thinks the relationship with Carson is now not reconcilable in any way and the Eagles made a decision to trade him and they can't go back now. I asked if they can't trade him if they'd outright release him and he didn't think so because Carson won't want to be released because any contract he would get after being released would not be as good as what he is playing under or even a renegotiated deal. So he thinks the longer this drags on the worse the compensation gets but he does think it is going to happen.

I asked him if he thought Ryan Pace and Howie Roseman might have colluded initially to create a trade market for Carson where there wasn't one. And he did say that is possible and GMs do that all the time even working together.

I asked him about Ertz/Wentz plus our 38 to the Colts for 21 and he said the Eagles should take that right now especially if Carson is willing to redo his deal to provide further cap relief for the Eagles. I asked him about that same package to the Bears for 20 and the Bears throw in Foles and Cohen and he thought the Bears would have to throw a conditional pick in there because the Eagles are taking on 2 contracts there. Plus, Carson may not be willing to redo his deal for the Bears like with the Colts.

He also said that there might come a point where the Eagles do just flat release Wentz because he is not going to be back in Philly.

Lastly, he said the Eagles will get under the cap somehow. There are ways to do it by kicking bonus down the road. But he also said the problem is shitty teams sometimes have problems getting players to defer bonus money because the player may not want to be on the team long-term. So he thinks that means Brandon Graham, Lane Johnson, and Brandon Brooks are the most likely to redo their deals. Fletcher Cox may say I don't have to be an Eagle the rest of my life... read the tea leaves here... and say deal me to another team and I will restructure.

He said there is literally no chance the Eagles will not get under the cap and they will forego a draft pick. It will never happen. The league doesn't want that sort of thing. I asked him if the throwing the last game of the season might play a roll in the league wanting to make an example of the Eagles and figure out someway to make it more difficult for the Eagles to get under the cap so they lose pick 6 and he said no way to that too.

I get it guys you don't think these guys know much and some of you don't care but this guy has been a beat writer for almost 20 years. He is connected and knows what is going on.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Aw I am not saying the guy doesn’t know anything. Not saying his experience doesn’t give him a different view. But he throws just as much crap against the wall as some guy named Bill at the bar.
        I heard a national writer discuss the other night what Wentz thinks based on him never being anywhere but his small hometown in SD. Right.
        I personally love hearing from someone like your guy. But I look at it as just another guy. Please keep it coming. However sometimes a guy with a little knowledge telling you what he thinks as opposed to what he knows is pretty dangerous.
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by nodakiggle View Post
          aw i am not saying the guy doesn’t know anything. Not saying his experience doesn’t give him a different view. But he throws just as much crap against the wall as some guy named bill at the bar.
          I heard a national writer discuss the other night what wentz thinks based on him never being anywhere but his small hometown in sd. Right.
          I personally love hearing from someone like your guy. But i look at it as just another guy. Please keep it coming. However sometimes a guy with a little knowledge telling you what he thinks as opposed to what he knows is pretty dangerous.
          qft!

Comment

So what’s a guy to do
            shoot howie roseman

Comment

NoDak I get it. It’s all good man. He just is really plugged in after 20 years doing it. It’s really a gross bizness. Most of these players and coaches are selfish borderline psychopaths but you’d have to be to play a game that increases your chance of getting a horrible brain disorder by 10000x.

I think the longer this goes the more likely we are to get very little for CW
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

"I think the longer this goes the more likely we are to get very little for CW"

I can agree with this. Howie has a pretty good record with getting value but getting poor value in this would just add to how bad the birds have dealt with the Wentz situation.
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Sounds like another Brady – Gronkowski deal
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Agree, E60.

I don't understand why this combo hasn't yet been offered by the Eagles. Granted, for all we know they might have done so. It seems logical to me, as Ertz seems less likely to draw heavy trade interest as a stand-alone trade asset IMO. Teams will just wait out the Eagles for them to cut Ertz. So, put him in a trade combo and ask for the 1st Rd pick(s).

Comment

They both have pretty hefty contracts so I am sure that is an issue, although not unsurmountable, for any trade
                      Hope is not a strategy
                      RIP

Comment

In this piece, an Ertz trade is discussed. the writer posits a few scenarios but one I thought was interesting was a suggested Ertz/Dillard trade combo to raise the return, as opposed to a Wentz/Ertz combo. That would pretty much leave Mailata at OLT1.
                        The tight end is expected to be dealt, but it may be after Carson Wentz gets traded first, and what are the chances the TE and QB are in a package deal or the TE and an OT?

Comment

I'd be OK with dealing Dillard at this point if you need to to get the 20 maybe from the Bears and maybe even their 2. Or a similar package from the Seahawks or Colts. I'd think if you packaged Dillard and Ertz you could get a one this year or next year. Dillard looked like a guy that can play LT in this league when I saw him play last year. And Ertz is 31 but he has 3-4 good years left in him.

The Colts don't want Dillard or at least I don't think they do but they did recently have Anthony Costanzo retire so maybe they'd even need a LT. But the trade changes if you throw in Dillard.

I have thought all along the trade that makes the most sense is Ertz and Wentz to the Colts for 21 and maybe a conditional pick. The Eagles might have to throw in a 5th rounder.

One thing I've been wondering is would Wentz push his bonus date back past the NFL draft to make it so he could be dealt on draft day. This could really help all sides.

That way, the Colts, Bears or whomever else sitting in the 20s that might want him could have a chance to see if they can get their QB at that spot.

Here is the deal though... if it went down that way would the Eagles consider drafting a QB at 6? I'd say the likelihood is much greater.

Let's say the Colts or Bears have an agreement in principle to trade for Wentz for their one on draft day if the QB they want isn't there. If I'm the Eagles, I'd really have to think about taking a QB if I like one, at 6 to take another QB off the board. That might sound crazy guys I get it but you don't want Fields, Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, or maybe even Kyle Trask to be available to the Bears or Colts at 21 so it increases the chances drastically that they trade for Wentz. It would be a gamble but I wouldn't be surprised. That's all I'm saying. And I will say it is highly likely that at least those first five are gone before the Bears and Colts pick.

Lastly guys.... I'm telling you that the Kyle Pitts thing at 6 is gaining steam. It all just makes sense to me. He is a freakish athlete, a great kid, and he has a connection to the coaching staff now via Brian Johnson. I would have no issue now with Pitts at 6 and even Kadarius Toney or Rondale Moore at 20/21 if the Birds get that pick. I'm seeing Tony compared to OBJ.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpre...2021-NFL-Draft

Comment

Re: Pitts. I could envision that, aw. Especially when viewed in light of the style of offense that Sirianni is expected to run. In that context, Pitts makes quite a bit of sense.

Comment

Working...
                            X