The Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Draft

I saw yesterday that McShay is saying the first 4 picks might be QBs now.

1. Sunshine
    2. Zach Wilson
    3. Justin Fields in a trade up by Carolina
    4. Trey Lance
    5. TBD
    6. Eagles

If the Eagles are staring at Chase and Smith I'm wondering who they'd go with.

I also am wondering if they might try and trade back because Jaylen Waddle is apparently getting rave reviews as a player almost as good as DeVonta Smith.

All that said... if the Eagles got DeVonta Smith at 6 and then got 20 or 21 and could somehow get a player like Kwity Paye or Greg Rousseau that would be a tremendous draft that could change the trajectory of the franchise. I really think the Eagles should pass on Derek Barnett if they can get a young DE in the draft with as much promise as Barnett. Josh Sweat no doubt is a quality third guy I think and Brandon Graham is aging but still Brandon Graham. The number one need on this defense in my mind is an elite edge rusher. I know we led the league in sacks by DL last year but I think we are extremely thin at that spot and devoid of young difference makers.

To me, other than WR an elite DE is my priority.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

I was looking at video of Waddle and Smith, Isn't Waddle 5 foot something ? IMO you take the 6'+ speedster over the other guy. Also IMO Smith goes before Chase. I'm really warming to Smith, he might be thin, but he can add weight. If we would draft Smith, and this will probably draw a yellow flag, but I would seriously consider a redo of DeSean's contract and run out a Watkins, Jackson Smith set of receivers. Jackson would have to play on a minimum contract though.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

For me, the pick at 6 will depend on what we get for Wentz and where we are with the cap. We have a ton of holes and will need cheap salaries to fill them . If we have 6 and 21 I could see taking a 1&2 for 6 and grabbing a WR like Waddle; he was a better pro prospect coming into the year than Smith. I'd love to come out of the second rd with 4+ picks instead of 2. That being said, I'd rather hit on two than miss on 4.

Comment

KyFred that is what I'm saying. Waddle was the guy heading into 2021 and then got hurt and I'm seeing him going at about 12-15 right now. If Smith is there at 6 you have to take him just based on his production unless someone blows you away. If the Patriots say we will give you 15 and our 1 next year plus maybe a 2 because they want to move up to take a QB you have to do that deal. You can always move back to 15 and then try and move back up to 11 or so and get Waddle, Kyle Pitts or Surtain.

If you take the 6th pick you have to pay him like the 6th pick. And with the razor thin cap situation that might make the Eagles want to move back. I'm just saying that we are in a really good spot and Jaylen Waddle would be a HELLUVA consolation prize.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

First I don’t care what circumstances there is nothing that would get me to bring Jackson back. He is just not reliable.
          Second I will concede Waddle is a great consolation prize but I am not taking him before either Chase or Smith and IMM either of them are fine. I think it comes down to your comfort level after interviews.
          I agree that the direction you go depends on Wentz (or others for that letter) being traded and the return you get.
          I still believe the easiest way to get back on the right track is to add to the run game and improve the defense.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

my top two for the #6 pick are definitely Smith and then Chase. 3rd choice would be Farley or Surtain. Though I wouldn't be pissed if we took Waddle

I think I'd prefer trading down if we did that, but he's def the 3rd best WR in this draft IMHO. He's 5'11 185 and runs a sub 4.40 forty

I don't think Waddle gets past 15, so if we lose out on both Smith and Chase, it will be an interesting choice

Comment

Remember the name Christian Barmore DT Alabama. I think he is bigtime on their radar. Especially with Malik Jackson all but gone. Fletch is getting older and banged up more and as I outlined before I would not be surprised if he is dealt at some point to get out of some of his contract. Obviously if Sewel is there they take him. If not Offensive or Defensive line I would think Surtain or Farley at CB. I really don't see WR. I know us as fans want a WR, now me I want no part of Devonta Smith at 6. Barely 6ft and only 170lbs soaking wet. He makes Todd Pinkston look big. Yes he has the college production but college and the Pros are a different animal just ask JJAW. I love Jamar Chase but I think he goes to Maimi at 3. Plus I think the Eagles brass (Howie) feels that they have invested heavily in WR over the past two years and they have. A 1st round pick, A 2nd round pick, a 5th and a 6th round pick. Plus the money they paid Jeffrey and Jackson. Funny thing is the most consistent receiver they have had over that span is Greg Ward an undrafted former QB. Going to be up to Nick S. to get the most out of that group. They have to address the defensive secondary yet again. they have to address LB at some point (I would rule out Parsons at 6 but if they trade back to the 11-12 area and he is still there I would think they my grab him.). Both Sirani and Gannon have come from teams with really good linebacker play. I would not be surprised if they target one early in the draft.

Me personally I think Micah Parsons is the 2nd best player in this draft behind Lawrence. If you can get him at 6 its a great pick. I also would not rule out if a Zach Wilson QB from BYU is there at 6 that they take him. Remember QB factory baby
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

The Eagles don't have a chance to landing the best QB in the draft, but the Tigers have two pass-catchers they could be looking at on Friday

Comment

taz, I can easily see that scenario although I would have to go CB (Surtain/Farley) before DT even though Barmore is a beast. I'm okay with them not going after a WR high if they go after a top RB like Harris, Etionne (who I would not prefer) or Sermon. Going after a WR later in the draft as thoughtprocess alludes would be ideal IMM.
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    taz, I can easily see that scenario although I would have to go CB (Surtain/Farley) before DT even though Barmore is a beast. I'm okay with them not going after a WR high if they go after a top RB like Harris, Etionne (who I would not prefer) or Sermon. Going after a WR later in the draft as thoughtprocess alludes would be ideal IMM.
                    The only reason why I say Barmore is Howie loves his lineman. Yes Barmore is a beast. I think he is going to be a stud in the pro's. By the time we get to draft day people will be talking about him being a top 8 pick. Me personally like I said I would take Parsons. He is difference maker. If he is gone I am going Surtain. ALthough some of that will depend if they get a 1st for Carson this year. I may go a different position at 6 and take Samuel Jr at 20.

Comment

Taz I like Barrimore a bunch but I think the Birds need an edge guy more than a DT. I still think Cox has some gs in the tank. A full offseason will help.

it’s critical that the Eagles get that 20/21 in the Wentz trade because I think they’d have a chance to get one of the 2 elite/quick twitch edge guys - Rousseau or Paye - because as the QBs and OL move up they slide down. If the Eagles could get

6 - Smith or Surtain... maybe even Kyle Pitts
                      20/21 - Kwity Paye
                      78 - Jabril Cox or Creed Humphrey

I’d be Ecstatic

Comment

Barmore is a stud and I'd love to have him. You never know with these things. but Barmore to me is in the 15-20 range. That's trade down area or dare I say Bears or Colts first round pick area

how awesome would it be to get Chase at 6 and Barmore at 20 or 21?

albeit, I'm staring to wonder if we get a 2021 second rounder and a 2022 first rounder for Wentz. so this all may be moot

either way the "Quarterback Factory" better start doing a better job supporting their QB with weapons and an OLine. WR and youth and depth on the OLine are way more important than DT to me.

and while I like Pitts alot, do we really need to spend an early pick on a 2nd TE? I mean, who is Travis Kelce's backup in KC? Kittle's in SF?

Comment

Dawk... I agree that TE isn't a position of need but is Pitts really a TE? Pitts is 6-6, 245 with elite athleticism at the position. What the Eagles need is freaks on both sides of the ball that change the proposition with their athleticism. Pitts is a guy you can line up all over the field. He is a guy that is going to be open even when he is covered just because he can high point the ball and make plays over the middle with his frame.

Now saying all this I would be OK with us moving back a few picks and trying to get him at 8 or 10 but I do think we have to stay in front of the Cowboys UNLESS the Cowboys want to move up to get a QB or an OLman and then maybe the Cowboys are a trade partner.

But who are we kidding. If we draft Pitts, Chase or Smith they are going to blow their ACL in training camp anyway.

Comment

Birds need a lot of help and I surely don't see Howie as a great draft mind but I would love to see the birds get another high second round pick. Pick 6, 37, 70 and maybe a pick in the 45-50 range would be real nice. They have Ertz, the Colts third (84 I believe), and two 5 rounders (135 and 140 or thereabouts) to use and they could drop down four or five spots in the first if need be. They need to find a partner and get four picks in the top 70.
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

I mentioned this before but I think this is the year that Howie should try and trade back into round 1 from round 2 and get that additional pick. They should be able to get from 37 to that 25-32 area with not having to give up much more than the 3rd round pick they just got for Wentz. They could go QB, WR or Dl or Ol at 6 then come back with that late 1st and grab Samuel JR. That gets this rebuild off to a good start.

Comment

Working...
                              X