Clear All

• Coaching Staff Off To a Great Start

got 1 leaving already

Eagles assistant coach who just arrived is already leaving
    2H AGO
    /BY REUBEN FRANK

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/reuben-frank][/URL]Reuben Frank

EAGLES INSIDER
    ay Valai left the University of Houston after 12 days to join Nick Sirianni’s coaching staff with the Eagles.J

He lasted longer at Houston than he lasted here.

Valai has reportedly left the Eagles after 11 days to join Nick Saban’s staff at Alabama.

That would be his fourth job in the past month and seventh since January of 2018.

Valai coached at Texas last year, but on Jan. 20, University of Houston coach Dana Holgorsen announced that Valai had joined the Cougars’ staff as secondary coach.

On Feb. 1, Fox 26 in Houston reported that Valai had left Houston and was joining Nick Sirianni’s new Eagles staff in an unknown role, and on Thursday, when the Eagles officially announced their entire coaching staff, Valai was listed as an assistant defensive backs coach.
    TRENDING

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/video/will-eagles-be-play-jj-watt-or-other-big-name-free-agents][/URL]Will Eagles be in play for J.J. Watt or other big-name free agents?

2H AGO
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-assistant-coach-jay-valai-who-just-arrived-already-leaving][/URL]Eagles assistant coach who just arrived is already leaving

2H AGO
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-center-jason-kelce-talks-retirement-chris-longs-podcast][/URL]Jason Kelce talks retirement on Chris Long's podcast

3H AGO
    One day later, he's apparently gone.

ESPN college football reporter Adam Rittenberg tweeted Friday that Valai is joining Saban’s staff as secondary coach, replacing Karl Scott, who left Alabama on Thursday to become Mike Zimmer’s secondary coach with the Vikings.

Valai tweeted on Jan. 11 that he was leaving Texas, so he’s now had four jobs in the span of 32 days.

It remains to be seen whether the Eagles will replace Valai. Dennard Wilson is the Eagles’ secondary coach.

Valai began his coaching career under Andy Reid with the Chiefs as a quality control assistant in 2018. He coached at Rutgers in 2019 before heading to Texas.

The Chiefs hired Valai on Jan. 15, 2018. So his average stay at his seven stops over the last four years is 161 days.

ADVERTISEMENT
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Wow, he is a real stand up guy!

Comment

Yea, commit to a team and if another broad calls dump the one you're with. Really don't want, and would hope Sirianni wouldn't want, someone who isn't committed to the team.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Josh McDaniels would be proud.

Comment

4 jobs this month! Good luck on the next interview!
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Guys this is a bizness.

the guy was going from n assistant DBacks coach in NFL to head secondary coach at Bama. That’s a better job. It’s a no brained. You take it.

and he doesn’t get any strikes against him for doing it. Assistants can advance in coaching with no hard feelings. That’s the rule.

You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I disagree aw, it’s one thing to leave a job for a better opportunity, that’s expected. To repeatedly accept a job and immediately walk away from it for another ‘better’ offer a few days later and then walk away from that one several days after that and then do it a third time after a few more days is a lack of integrity. Leave after a year, no problem. Leave after a few weeks ,ok. Do it over and over and IMO it’s a sign of someone without character.

Comment

LOL at them talking about JJ watt to the Eagles

1st, we don't have the cap space. 2nd, we are not going to be a contender next year.

Comment

Originally posted by jukin View Post
                  i disagree aw, it’s one thing to leave a job for a better opportunity, that’s expected. To repeatedly accept a job and immediately walk away from it for another ‘better’ offer a few days later and then walk away from that one several days after that and then do it a third time after a few more days is a lack of integrity. Leave after a year, no problem. Leave after a few weeks ,ok. Do it over and over and imo it’s a sign of someone without character.
                  q f t!

Comment

On one hand I can understand why he'd do this when viewed through the lens of dollars and cents. It would appear that he's sought-after. However, the pattern that he's established in the last weeks can only hurt his future prospects of getting into the NFL again, unless he totally and consistently lights it up in the college game. Maybe his family (or just him) didn't want to come to the big city lights. Or perhaps he feared bombing out on the big stage, thereby jeopardizing his long-term NFL prospects. I'd ask him but he's been hard to pin down lately...like nailing scrambled eggs to the wall.

Comment

MD... what does QFT mean? I am not hip.

and then juk I get it but the Bama head secondary coach is better than the assistant DBack coach for the Eages. I get giving your word and being committed but there is an established rule in NFL football that assistants can leave a job if they are offered a better job.

im just saying it’s a better job. Not surprising he’d take it.
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

QFT... quoted for truth.

Comment

Btw where is this rule written that sez I accept your job offer..... unless Nick Sabin calls me? Sorry the guy should mean it if he takes your job offer. Not sure? Than don’t take the job till you are.

Comment

I can understand it happening once maybe but four teams in 30 days (or whatever the details were) has to leave a stain. Of course stains wear away fairly easily
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

I just started a new job in December with a firm in Philly. I took a pay cut from my last position because of the uncertainty of the economy and the impact Covid is having. I was told we will reevaluate in 6 months. Last week I got a call from a friend who didn’t realize I had taken another position and recommended me for a position with a construction company 15 minutes from my house. I would be running their design teams and it pays more than I was making at my previous firm. Add in the Philly wage tax and the difference is significant.

I turned down the interview because I have just started at the Philly firm 2 months ago. It feels too much like jumping every time something better comes along. In a year if the new firm hasn’t lived up to their word, I’ll start looking. But for now, I said I’d give them my best effort and I intend to do that for as long as we are both satisfied with the work.

I get that the NFL is a different animal but I don’t see how jumping to the next best thing every couple of weeks doesn’t leave people questioning your commitment and your word.

Comment

Working...
                              X