No announcement yet.

Carson gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m happy with this deal. Even if it’s a second. The cap cleans up next year and we move on. Just don’t draft a QB. See what you have in Jalen Hurts first. Please... the kid can play. I saw enough to make me want to see more.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
      I’m happy with this deal. Even if it’s a second. The cap cleans up next year and we move on. Just don’t draft a QB. See what you have in Jalen Hurts first. Please... the kid can play. I saw enough to make me want to see more.
      I agree. Trevor Lawrence, and maybe Zach Wilson, to me are the only sure QBs and they will be long gone by #6. I am hoping for one of the top 2 WR's (Smith or Chase). I would much rather go with Hurts next year than take a chance on Fields or Lance (One NDSU QB is enough).

Hurts numbers were not great last year. But, he showed a lot of poise behind that horrible OL. He threw the ball away a LOT to avoid sacks. Give him a shot with nobody looking over his shoulder and a better OL. Get him some WR weapons. Reagor may be a nice player some day. But, I don't see him as a #1 WR.

No matter what happens. My expectations for next year are the lowest since Chip Kelly's last year here. The one thing that I will give the Eagles credit for, is that they have been pretty good with drafting QB's. We could be the Jets.

Comment

Sorry to disagree with the general thought patterns here. I think it was a lousy deal, Howie got fucked!

I see some saying "well it's the best we could have expected"... that is bull, just read the posts for the last few weeks.... we all expected much much more! I am very disappointed.

As for the snaps--- does that count punts and FG's? I truly don't know. If it does, then he has to play damn near every play to get to 75%. And it also leaves open the possibility that the Colts can manipulate the numbers if they don't have a good year.

I don't know about all the $ and Cents... I admit that... but what I do know is the talent levels and we just lost big time.

I still can not, and refuse to, judge Wentz on the 2020 hell storm of a season. Bart Starr would have faired no better, IMM.

3rd round pick? Yeah, Howie got taken... maybe he should have let him go for 2 5th rounders..........or 3 7ths............ Sheeeeeeez!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
          Sorry to disagree with the general thought patterns here. I think it was a lousy deal, Howie got fucked!

I see some saying "well it's the best we could have expected"... that is bull, just read the posts for the last few weeks.... we all expected much much more! I am very disappointed.

As for the snaps--- does that count punts and FG's? I truly don't know. If it does, then he has to play damn near every play to get to 75%. And it also leaves open the possibility that the Colts can manipulate the numbers if they don't have a good year.

I don't know about all the $ and Cents... I admit that... but what I do know is the talent levels and we just lost big time.

I still can not, and refuse to, judge Wentz on the 2020 hell storm of a season. Bart Starr would have faired no better, IMM.

3rd round pick? Yeah, Howie got taken... maybe he should have let him go for 2 5th rounders..........or 3 7ths............ Sheeeeeeez!
          In the end, we gave up a #2 overall first round pick, for a probable low 3rd and low 2nd/1st. That's a terrible return in itself. I expect Wentz to be much better next year. But, Wentz did not want to be here and the Eagles obviously didn't want the drama. What a terrible time for Wentz to tank last year after signing that contract. Damn injuries.

Comment

MD my friend, you do realize that we are talking about a benched quarterback right? I don’t know why anybody was talking about all these number ones for numerous years for heaven sake‘s.If half the stuff they were writing about Wentz is true then good riddance. Who needs a quarterback that cannot be coached? This is coming from the Wentz fan too. It is really funny though that everybody on the site took a 180 turn on this deal. How far we’ve come from calling him the Messiah? I think that qb hell is upon us again.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Guys I'm going to go against the grain here too big time and say what needs to be said.

CARSON WENTZ JUST SUCKS NOW OK... and he ain't gonna get it back.

To me this is good riddance to bad rubbish. And listen I hope I'm wrong because he is a 28 year old kid and a pretty good kid by all accounts he just needed a change of scenery. I truly hope he proves me wrong next year and Frank Reich gets him back to 2017 Carson Wentz. But I am betting against it... BIG TIME.

I have no clue what happened. Maybe 2017 was the anomaly and the last 3 years watching him struggle off and on and then most of 2020 is the real Carson. I saw a guy that is not the athlete he once was and that doesn't read defenses as quickly as we thought he did or could. His recognition is off. His pocket awareness is hot and cold. His accuracy is not great. He doesn't throw a good deep ball or a catchable ball maybe. Is it possible that the reason we see so many drops is because Carson isn't accurate or throws a catchable ball... whatever that might mean. He throws high a lot. He throws late or just flat misses guys that are open. He doesn't throw the ball away enough. When it looks like he has a lane to run he doesn't anymore.

Carson Wentz is broken. Maybe Frank Reich could fix him but he is NOT FIXABLE in Philly.

So you eat the $33 million this year to move on but please see what you have in Jalen Hurts first. The kid has everything you look for in a QB off the field and with intangibles. He is a leader of men and players will respond to him. He can run. He is a quick decision maker too guys. He is the son of a coach. I mean let's give this kid a chance. Why is it NOT our turn to get lucky.

Let Hurts play.

Draft Kyle Pitts and then Rondale Moore or Najee Harris in Round two. And then Creed Humphrey and Jabril Cox in Round three and let's friggin roll OK. When healthy, this team will be a powerhouse running the football with this OL, a second young RB and Hurts.
              Last edited by andrewaters; 02-18-2021, 04:08 PM.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Wentz had an albatross of a contract. The Eagles have no leverage, as the world knew he was not going to be on the team in a month, he has finished 2 of last 4 seasons on IR and on on the. At this point, I am fine with where we fell.

Comment

I agree with you MD-- it was a terrible return and have said all along the Eagles f'ed it up. But I have to say that I have come to believe it wasn't gonna change in Philly. Media was on him, a large portion of fan base was on him, from the sound of it the front office relationship wasn't good, etc. Finally, Howie wasn't in position to make a good deal because the Eagles had f'ed it so bad. The condition is that he plays 75% of the offensive snaps so basically he has to stay starting QB and not get any long term injury.
                  So, even though I am a Wentz fan I have been and will be an Eagles fan much longer. I am ready to roll with Hurts as I think he is a capable QB who will be above average for us. Give him help and he can take the team to the SB just as any good QB can. I don't expect him to be Brady or Rogers but also don't expect him to fall like RG III.
                  I've gone on record saying the birds can be a force next year if they draft well. Give me a difference maker at CB (Surtain or Farley), a high end RB (Harris or Sermon)-- only need him for two years in order to right the ship, and someone in the passing game (either TE or WR) that can make plays. Then OL/DL/LB all can use help. Pick up journeyman QBs to back up Hurts. If Hurts isn't the answer work on a new QB next year but don't tank the season this year and don't compound your f-up by drafting a QB in round one or two this year.
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

And so it ends...I too hoped for the big return that many speculated would come back, but Roseman was boxed in by time, money, and Wentz's reported preference for the Colts. It's not outside the realm of possibility that Wentz might have redone his contract to facilitate the deal too. With the Bears the possibility that he could be dealing with a new HC and GM could have been a deal breaker (if the present regime gets canned). I expect Wentz to experience a degree of success in Indy. I'm curious to see if he will now adjust the things that he's been criticized for in Philly on his own.

Comment

It’s funny how everybody has done a 180 on this. Two weeks ago the price was three ones and a blow job to get Wentz traded. Now everybody is doing cartwheels over this one. For a couple of weeks I’ve been saying but you can’t expect more then one possible one for him and even that was a stretch. The fact was that he is a benched quarterback. I was hoping that he stay around but when you have no competition for him other than Indy you aren’t in a very good position to bargain. Players like hurts are the future of the NFL but I’m not sure that is the one. I won’t be shocked if they Shoot for another quarterback next year.

Comment

It's unfortunate that things didn't work out. I have to give Wentz props for getting the team to the cusp of the SB in 2017 with home field advantage in the playoffs

. I wonder whether the Hurts drafting was the sole catalyst, or one of many events that soured the relationship. The straw that broke the camel's back as it were.

Did the FO draft Hurts because they didn't see a way forward with Wentz due to some undiscussed issue between player and FO? Or was the FO drafting Hurts the issue to push him over the edge?

I guess we'll know one day...

Comment

personally TT I didn’t think that he played that well the preceding year. And let’s face it, you don’t use a number two to sit on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                            We didn’t get enough out of the trade but I don’t care.

Wentz was never going to be the same IN PHILLY. He might resurrect his career in Indy and people will say “see I told you” but I’m convinced he is done in Philly and this was the best move.

I don’t think we will or should look back on this with regret.
                            I will look back on this with regret unless aw turns out to be right and Wentz never sniffs the playoffs again.

At some point we will know the truth about whether the Eagles drafting Hurts was the chicken or the egg in Wentz’s 2020 cliff dive. But either way I blame Howie and Jeff for getting us in this situation. If drafting Hurts created the doubt that caused this then they are directly responsible and they and Doug should have handled Carson better and protected their franchise player before he imploded. If taking Hurts was them reading the writing on the wall then why, just 9 months earlier did they give him that massive contract with the largest guarantee in league history? What changed in those 9 months? His play wasn’t that different in 2019.... so what happened?

And MD is right, we got screwed in this deal. We invested a shitload of capital, both in picks and in dollars in Wentz and got little in return. I guess we may know some day if Wentz tied their hands by limiting them to only Indy. That may explain the shitty return on such a large investment. And it may be a coincidence but I heard on Wednesday morning that Vegas sports books changed their odds on Wentz landing in Indy from 1:11 up to 1:120. Seems like word may have leaked that they were the only option. Just fodder and we may never know but I hate this situation and I hate the return we got.

I have ZERO confidence in Howie to get the team fixed. His drafting is terrible so it may not matter what we got any way. And I really, REALLY want more info on why Doug was fired. I'll ask again why they would blowup the coaching staff and bring in a guy who appears to be geared to repair Wentz only to have Wentz still want out of the organization? How do you make such singular and decisive moves and get such terrible results? We are left with an unproven and uncertain quarterback, a new and largely inexperienced coaching staff, a team with tons of holes to fill and the worst cap situation in the league - all in less than a year. Think about where we were and what we were talking about in mid-April last year and where we are now. Damn, it wasn’t just Wentz that took a
                            cliff dive last year, Howie did and took the whole team with him!

I want him gone and gone NOW!!!!
                            Last edited by Jukin; 02-19-2021, 03:38 AM.
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              It’s funny how everybody has done a 180 on this. Two weeks ago the price was three ones and a blow job to get Wentz traded. Now everybody is doing cartwheels over this one. For a couple of weeks I’ve been saying but you can’t expect more then one possible one for him and even that was a stretch. The fact was that he is a benched quarterback. I was hoping that he stay around but when you have no competition for him other than Indy you aren’t in a very good position to bargain. Players like hurts are the future of the NFL but I’m not sure that is the one. I won’t be shocked if they Shoot for another quarterback next year.
                              Not everyone, my friend. I've been saying all along that they weren't going to get much for him. I'm with Andrewaters on this one. I think Wentz is cooked. People are saying Howie did a poor job here, and I disagree. He got a third this year, and a conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if Wentz turns it around. For someone stuck between a rock and a hard place, with zero leverage, who had to make a deal, I think that's pretty darned good. Now everyone can move on.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                                Hurts stinks. Relying on him would be a huge mistake. Especially when you look at 2022 draft where there really are not any QB's that are coming out that year. This is the year to grab at QB. Obviously Lawrence will be gone. Most likely Wilson will also be gone. I am not a fan of Fields, he is a one read and go or throw, kinda of like Hurts. Would they go Trey Lance? How about Mac Jones?

Or maybe this one. Kyle Trask by trading back into round 1. Say around 23 or 24. Didn't our new QB coach Brian Johnson coach Trask in college? Not sure he is better than Hurts.

Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                                X