No announcement yet.

Carson gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not ready to say Hurts is a bust or a beast, The 15 deep offensive line and a poor bit of play calling last season stacked the deck against him. They should have a viable back up in case he fails. Not sure who that should be though.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Taz and many of you on this board thought Dak Prescott sucked too. I went against the grain on that one many of you might remember and said he was the best QB in that draft. I think right now we'd all take Dak over Carson, Goff or any of the other jacklegs that got taken in front of him. Hurts is at least Dak if not better. He is smarter in the pocket and a better athlete footwise. He is at least as accurate as Dak. My concern is can he throw the deep ball? I don't know. Usually with these young QBs they talk about how they have a cannon. I've never heard that in regards to Hurts so who knows.

Taz I do agree with you on Fields. He sucks out loud. They better not take that guy.

My QB board is
      1. Lawrence
      2. Wilson
      3. Trask
      4. Lance
      5. Mac Jones.
      6 Fields - but I wouldn't draft this kid no matter what. there is extra baggage about this kid. Many of you might know he actually made up a story about being called racist names at Georgia so he could play right away at Ohio State. You might not believe those stories are made up. Trust me they are. My college roommate lives 30 minutes from Athens and his daughter went to UGA. Pretty much everyone on campus knew Fields made it up but he was such an asshole they let him walk.

The only QB I would consider at 6 is Wilson and he isn't going to make it that far and I would not trade up no matter what.

Lastly, I don't care about next year's QB draft. There are a few names that will be available. There always are. Brock Purdy the kid from Iowa State is a very good QB. He'd be a second rounder next year. I'd be OK with him. You have to let Hurts show you what he can do. It is malpractice if you don't. I actually think the Eagles are almost forced to because they spent a second round pick on him. If you don't at least see what you have in him this year what in the hell did you do to the team in drafting him and creating the problem in the first place.
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Complete agree AW. Unless Wilson slips to #6 (not happening), then I am not interested in picking a QB at that spot.

I was not too concerned about Hurts arm strength after watching this throw last season. Pretty effortless 50+ yards in the air throw.

Comment

mid rounds, I really like Kellen Mond. Several year starter, great athlete, similar skill set and could develop. I'm not taking a QB early.

Comment

I’ll say this for Carson. He was a heck of a quarterback by for a couple of years but went down fast when he lost his legs. Those legs got him out of a lot of jams and made highlight plays. He gave his best few years to us and won us a SB but the injuries have just mounted up. Plus he absolutely got the shit kicked out of him this year but he is hung in there. I wish them well.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Its over! Frankly I am glad. Wentz was ATROCIOUS last year. Each week he would step up to the podium ad say he was going to get it right and then next week it was the same ol same ol. Im sure Doug didnt help. But also he had some of the same issues in 2018 and 2019. He wasnt getting better. Goodbye! That contract was awful (THANKS HOWIE) but after one year of pain it is out the way. We take our lumps in 2021 and build for 2022. I don't know if Hurts is the guy but I would rather roll with him and begin the build through the draft this year and next. Best of luck Carson. Stay healthy and play the Colts into the playoffs where KC, Pittsbugh Baltimore and can you believe it Cleveland may await! YIKES

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                I’ll say this for Carson. He was a heck of a quarterback by for a couple of years but went down fast when he lost his legs. Those legs got him out of a lot of jams and made highlight plays. He gave his best few years to us and won us a SB but the injuries have just mounted up. Plus he absolutely got the shit kicked out of him this year but he is hung in there. I wish them well.
                You nailed it 60. Carson being Houdini was the X-factor that made him dangerous. He is no longer Houdini, but still tries to make the same plays. Maybe Reich can turn him into a pure pocket passer with better awareness or maybe not. One thing for sure, Carson is going to have to change the style of play that made him so dangerous in years 1 and 2 especially.

Comment

Carson's biggest issue is I just don't think the guy is a quick thinker. In this league if you don't process fast enough to get sacked or you don't move the ball because defenses most of the time take away the first or second read... or at the very least make you make a great throw to get it in to that guy. Carson expected guys to be wide open and they weren't. Now Jalen Hurts might do the same thing because at OU and Bama he had guys wide open because they were just athletically way better than the competition. That is not going to be the case in the NFL.

Can Hurts read quickly and get to the right guy presnap and postsnap?

I want to watch him play a year and see.

I don't think Carson can do it. I don't think Justin Fields can do it either. Carson is going to continue to struggle I think because he just can't decide where to go with it fast enough.

So I'm glad he is gone.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                      Its over! Frankly I am glad. Wentz was ATROCIOUS last year. Each week he would step up to the podium ad say he was going to get it right and then next week it was the same ol same ol. Im sure Doug didnt help. But also he had some of the same issues in 2018 and 2019. He wasnt getting better. Goodbye! That contract was awful (THANKS HOWIE) but after one year of pain it is out the way. We take our lumps in 2021 and build for 2022. I don't know if Hurts is the guy but I would rather roll with him and begin the build through the draft this year and next. Best of luck Carson. Stay healthy and play the Colts into the playoffs where KC, Pittsbugh Baltimore and can you believe it Cleveland may await! YIKES
                      Feel the same. No need to draft a QB this year unless you somehow step into Lawrence. Take our lumps is 2021. Get better in 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                        Taz and many of you on this board thought Dak Prescott sucked too. I went against the grain on that one many of you might remember and said he was the best QB in that draft. I think right now we'd all take Dak over Carson, Goff or any of the other jacklegs that got taken in front of him. Hurts is at least Dak if not better. He is smarter in the pocket and a better athlete footwise. He is at least as accurate as Dak. My concern is can he throw the deep ball? I don't know. Usually with these young QBs they talk about how they have a cannon. I've never heard that in regards to Hurts so who knows.

e.
                        Hurts is not Dak Prescott, never will be. Doesn't have his arm strength. 52% completion is not Dak Prescott either. In college he got a ton of easy passes, short stuff easy stuff. In the pro's you need the arm strength to fit into tight windows, you have to show you can throw deep in order to open up the easy throws that pad those completion percentages. Look I am not trying to shit on Jalen. I think he is a good player. He is not a franchise QB and anybody pretending his is setting themselves up to fail. We traded the franchise QB.

I wouldn't take Dak over Carson, Carson's talent is still there. All he needs is a coach like Frank Reich who gets the hell out of his way. He needs a team that knows how to treat a franchise QB. Put a couple of weapons around him and let him play. Now did he deserve to be benched. YES he needed to take a different look. The issues this team had were so deep he had started to get some bad habits. The biggest issue was WHY THE HELL did they never give him a shot to get back out there after benching him? That never made any sense to me. They stopped treating him as the franchise QB the moment they drafted Jalen Hurts. The question is why? He wasn't terrible in 2019. In fact he took a band of shit to the playoffs. So again WHY? I don't blame Carson for wanting out. If any of you were in his shoes you would want the same thing.

Now before you talk about the Aaron Rodgers thing its so much different. Rodgers is 37 yrs old. Wentz was 27 when they took Hurts. Such a different story.

Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Taz I just disagree and I will leave it at that. 75% of playing football in this league has nothing to do with the arm. Does Jalen have the head? I think he does. He may not be Pat Mahomes with his arm but neither was Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, or Peyton Manning. You don’t have to have a gun. You have to make quick decisions and have some escapologist. I think Hurts has that. More than Carson even who is just broken mentally now. And that absolutely is the Eagles fault. I feel bad for Carson. I just am betting he never gets it back. But I truly hope I’m wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post

Hurts is not Dak Prescott, never will be. Doesn't have his arm strength. 52% completion is not Dak Prescott either. In college he got a ton of easy passes, short stuff easy stuff. In the pro's you need the arm strength to fit into tight windows, you have to show you can throw deep in order to open up the easy throws that pad those completion percentages. Look I am not trying to shit on Jalen. I think he is a good player. He is not a franchise QB and anybody pretending his is setting themselves up to fail. We traded the franchise QB.

I wouldn't take Dak over Carson, Carson's talent is still there. All he needs is a coach like Frank Reich who gets the hell out of his way. He needs a team that knows how to treat a franchise QB. Put a couple of weapons around him and let him play. Now did he deserve to be benched. YES he needed to take a different look. The issues this team had were so deep he had started to get some bad habits. The biggest issue was WHY THE HELL did they never give him a shot to get back out there after benching him? That never made any sense to me. They stopped treating him as the franchise QB the moment they drafted Jalen Hurts. The question is why? He wasn't terrible in 2019. In fact he took a band of shit to the playoffs. So again WHY? I don't blame Carson for wanting out. If any of you were in his shoes you would want the same thing.

Now before you talk about the Aaron Rodgers thing its so much different. Rodgers is 37 yrs old. Wentz was 27 when they took Hurts. Such a different story.
                            Agree with Taz here. I think the lack of protection and absence of weapons caused Carson both to lose confidence and to try to do too much. You get sacked 50 times in 12 games - even if some of the sacks are your fault - and you start rushing your process. You can’t make big plays because receivers are not getting separation and you start thinking you need to do it all.

For a brief period in the middle of the season we had ourselves a Fulgham, and somehow Wentz looked the part of a franchise quarterback. Then someone decided to bring back Alshon!

Add to all this the fact that Doug is no genius, and Wentz’s frustration becomes clear. What kind of a coach admits to the media that his QB has regressed and that he does not know why? What kind of a coach continues to call a 7-step drop after a 7-step drop when he has lost 80 percent of his offensive line? Doug is a likable guy who stepped into shit (good thing) and won a SuperBowl. Is he a SuperBowl winning coach? Yes. Is he a coach who has stood the test of time? Absolutely not.

My gut says Wentz goes to Indy and has some workman-like efforts in the first quarter season (21-34, 200 yds, 2/1), but that by the end of the season he is back to form and truly leading his team. Can he stay healthy? That is the big question. But can anyone in a brutal league like the NFL be counted on to stay healthy?
                            Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                            Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

This is why I don’t mind losing wentz for nothing. It’s entirely possible the surgeries caught up with him. Some people never get “it” back.

I remember when the Sixers got Elton brand. I got season tickets that year. Watching him play was so painful. I realize Wentz is much younger. But getting cut on is devastating to some players.

maybe wentz adjusts to the fact that he isn’t as mobile. He never did adjust in Philly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                                If taking Hurts was them reading the writing on the wall then why 9 months earlier did they give him that massive contract with the largest guarantee in league history? What changed in those 9 months? His play wasn’t that different in 2019.... so what happened?
                                I honestly think the concussion changed everything for Jeff and Howie. After that game they said, “we can’t trust this guy to finish the season”. So the Hurts pick was insurance but also gave them a cheap backup with future potential. I didn’t like or agree with the pick but you could see the logic behind it. They would never say it publicly but they held that concussion against him.
                                On a list of Jeff and Howie’s errors from 1-50, the Hurts pick is about 37.
                                Somewhere in the top 5 is a setting the 48 man game day roster and telling your head coach who to play. That is the number 1 reason Doug and Carson wanted out. Can you imagine being forced to play Jason Peters and Alshon Jeffery over Mailata and Fulgam? Carson has something going with Fulgam, only to see him sent back to the bench. Players can’t be forced on the field because of bad contracts given out by the GM!!!!

I hope Lurie is smart enough to tell Howie to stay of Nick’s way for at least the first 2 years so you can let him find his way.

Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X