Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summing up Wentz

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ts-frank-reich

Long article so I posted the link. Reflects a lot of my thoughts on the whole situation. Time to move on with Hurts
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Like most of these articles you have to weed through the garbage. I will say this the first part of this statement is absolutely true and undisputable. " His lack of improvement in key areas (accuracy, fumbling) " But to attribute it to not being able to take hard coaching, that is an opinion not fact. In fact I will say when players like Chris Long and Malcolm Jenkins come to Wentz defense. I think the info we are getting is disinformation put out by the Eagles to cover up the real reason why they dealt him. Which we really don't know. I mean 20 months ago he is signing the largest contract in franchise history. A year ago he takes a band of misfits to the playoffs. Then he takes a cheap shot in the playoffs and it was all downhill from there.

My Questions are this.
    1. Why did they draft Jalen Hurts in round 2 instead of using the picks on more weapons for either the offense or defense. It still is extremely odd to me they did this. Was the plan all along to trade Wentz, if so why? What led to it? Was it that he got hurt in the playoffs once again? If so I find it very shortsighted to do that as this entire team has been a Mash unit for 2 years

2. After he was rightly benched he never got an opportunity to come back in and show that he learned from his benching. I don't care what anyone says, Jalen Hurts was no better than Wentz was in his 4 games so its not like he was lighting it up throwing for 3 tds a game and winning all the games.

3. When he was benched the decision was obviously made then that he was not going to back with the team. How short sighted is it after 12 games in which overall he played poorly (not in all the games, in most of them though) that you are moving on from your 28 yr old franchise QB. Something just doesn't seem right .

I keep hearing about Wentz leadership. To me the best leaders I have ever seen didn't lead with their mouths they led by their actions. Wentz was damn tough on the field. He took shot after shot after shot. I never saw him grab a WR by the helmet like Tom Brady did and show them. Maybe he should have. Not once. did he throw players under the bus. Maybe he should have. But at the end every person is different. Much to the contrary of this article the Eagles are going to regret this trade and they should already regret, no matter what Carson does in the future. They gave up a ton to get their franchise QB, then to throw him away after a 12 game poor stretch. Again makes no sense to me. Especially with all the pieces he had around him going down hurt, you fired the head coach because he and the coaching staff struggled.

Now I know this seems like I am blaming it all on the Eagles and for the most part they should take the brunt of it. Carson though should also be held accountable, he did have a faction of the locker room, mostly the younger guys who he couldn't relate to. Now there are reasons for that and I don't really want to go into those here but he needs to learn to deal with everyone, all types of players. I don't' think its a matter of him not working to get better. I think he did. I think he needs to learn to trust his coaching more. I do think he lost trust in the coaching staff, honestly wouldn't you have?

Also as far as moving on to Jalen Hurts, Meh is what I say to Hurts. He will be in the bottom half of the starting QBs in the league. I think the only reason they don't draft a QB at 6 or even trade up for one is to try and justify the 2nd rounder they spent on Hurts. Much like the JJAW second round pick it was a pick that was not used wisely.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I agree. I regret that everything has come to this. The FO should do some serious reflection. What a disaster.

taz, IMO this IS mostly on the FO. Wentz is who he is. Stubborn or not. The FO should have acted accordingly.

1. This is what I have been wondering about the most. Why Hurts and not another offensive weapon for Wentz, or a defender even. I know what the explanation was, and I even thought it plausible. But in light of recent events, I have to wonder if there was another reason for Hurts...
      The Philadelphia Eagles agreed to trade quarterback Carson Wentz to the Indianapolis Colts last week.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        L

2. After he was rightly benched he never got an opportunity to come back in and show that he learned from his benching. I don't care what anyone says, Jalen Hurts was no better than Wentz was in his 4 games so its not like he was lighting it up throwing for 3 tds a game and winning all the games.
        Statistically. But, I don't see Wentz coming out and winning that Saints game. I also didn't see Hurts taking so long to process and get the ball out that it created sacks like Wentz. You're comparing Wentz, a 5 year starter, with a rookie playing his first 4 games, and playing them without the benefit of the typical offseason program. So, Hurts might have been no better than Wentz, but he was certainly no worse. And, given the fact that Wentz is a veteran, franchise QB, and Hurts was a rookie, that, to me, is a bit telling.

And, you may be right that Hurts ends up in the bottom half of starting QBs in this league. That's a real safe limb to go out on. But, I think he showed enough as a rookie, under the worst possible circumstances, to warrant giving him a full offseason with a QB friendly coaching staff, and hopefully a relatively healthy supporting cast, in order to make an informed evaluation.

Comment

Remember when we did a hatchet job on DeSean Jackson as he was leaving? I believe most of that was Chip Kelly but this organization isn’t as nice as people believe.

Comment

SF... respectfully I will just say that I really, truly disliked Chip Kelly but I think he might have gotten the Desean Jackson thing right. Granted, he went to Washington and Tampa and played OK but he didn't exactly dominate the league. And then look what happened when he came back here. The DJax signing is by far and in my mind the worst signing Howie ever did. Worse than Nnamdi, Vince Young, Bradley whatever the F his name was, Cary Williams, and that jackass from Seattle that we signed to play corner.

DJax was on the wrong side of 30 and we overpaid to get him back here to right some wrong that was done to him by Chip Kelly. And he ended up playing what... 5 games? And outside of the first game he played back in Philly did he even have an impact on a game? And then he went all Black Militant crazy on us last offseason on his Twitter feed.

I get it that money wise maybe DJax coming back wasn't the worst ever but let's consider the evaluation of the move. When we brought guys like Nnamdi and those others in the league was basically positive about those moves. So if we got it wrong OK but at the time the rest of the league didn't think we got it wrong. With DJax, we overpaid for a 30 year old WR with a huge injury concern and we got burnt big time. The Red Flags were all but yet they signed him.

I simply cannot stand Desean Jackson in any way, shape or form. I was glad when Chip got rid of him and I will be happy when he is off this team forever.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

No no. That wasn’t what I was talking about. I hated the resigning of DJ and I was tired of his me-first bullshit.

what I was talking about was the leaks to the press about his gang affiliations. They never talked about it when he was here and then all of the sudden it was like .. pssst did you hear about his gang friends?

Comment

I can't for the life of me figure out why he didn't get the surgery last year after week 2.
                Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Dude I know. Only thing I can think is he didn't really want to play. DJax is a HUGE COCKSUCKER. Hate that guy. I could deal with Lesean and his BS. but DJax was just a me first show boat douche.
                  You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

GMs jobs are tough. It has to be so hard figuring out who the money won't change. who wants to win more than cashing in? who wants both?

There are so many guys that want the attention and the contract. While it is so hard to figure out how high on their scale team success and winning is.

I put DJ into the category of getting his first, and not caring quite as much about team success. He played 5 games, but still got paid. For every NFLPA member saying players get screwed, there are so many that get overpaid for their services or lack thereof

As for Wentz. It was for sure shared blame between the organization and him. They did not help him be the best he could be. At the same time, he didn't man up and be the leader the QB is supposed to be. We can point fingers at Doug and the coaches for not fixing Wentz. But we have to admit that maybe Wentz was unfixable in Philly? Whatever it was, he had to go. He gets a chance to right himself somewhere else and fix what he did wrong here. We get the chance to move on and fix what we need to fix.

Personally I put more on Wentz than the organization. QBs are supposed to be tough. They are supposed to have the mindset of bring on the competition. They can be vocal on things that they would like to see changed, but that cannot show itself in the locker room or on the field.

I'll root for the guy in Indy. I do like him as a player. But even I know that he needs to fix some things when he goes there. If he doesn't, he could see the bench again very soon

Comment

I agree on Carson totally. This is 60/40 on him. There has to be some fire to the locker room smoke regarding Alshon and others. Granted, Miles Sanders and Fletcher Cox seem to be big fans of his but Malcolm Jenkins didn't care for him I don't think. Which is why I'm willing to go all in on Jalen Hurts because at the very least he is a good locker room guy.

Comment

Man it’s hard to believe how far we fell and how fast we got here. 2017 SB champs. Three years later virtually the entire team is turned over including the franchise QB and we are a shambles. I never thought I would say this but maybe Orlando Scandrick was right and the Eagles really did become complacent after the SB. Maybe it wasn’t obvious to the rest of the world but it sure seems like the team never had that same drive. Injuries aren’t an excuse, we had a ton of them in 2017 too.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

qft Juk. It was a world class fall. But now they need to lick their wounds, realize their f ups and move forward.
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Maybe if the team didn't get wiped out by injuries we would have won the SB last year like many of us posted and everytime Whoie made move it was "all Hail Howie". You can't have it both ways guys.
                            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                            X