Why not keep Ertz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not keep Ertz?

If we are under the cap now what's the rush to trade or release him? I think that's pretty dumb at this point. Who needs another pick anyway? We've got about 10 of them. Just because he had a bad year doesn't mean that he's done. The whole team had a bad year. The word is they are holding out for a 4th or 5th rounder. All we are going to do is blow that pick anyway. The guy is only 30 years old. Why not keep him this year?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I don't think there is a rush on the Eagles part to trade him. Ertz wants a new contract and has asked for a trade. The Eagles are getting offered two bags of balls and a shoe shiner for him so they are keeping him until they get an offer worthy of one of the better tight ends in football. The rest of football are under the impression that they would release Ertz but there is simply no reason to. Especially since the savings are only 4.5 million. They are under the cap enough now to draft and that is important. Also, keeping Ertz allows you to address other positions in the draft. I personally think Ertz down season last year had as much to do with his injuries and the absolute mess the offense was. I see no reason why he can't be a 60 catch 800yrd 8 TD player next year. Unless you get at least a three for him you keep him. He will be motivated to perform well so he can get paid in free agency
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Agree with keeping him. Funny how people tend to perform in a contract year.
      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

I think Ertz is most likely to not report to camp and demand a trade at this point.

If I were the Birds, I'd look for a way to package him in a draft day deal to move up and get a better pick. If you could use him to move up 10-15 spots in the third round maybe or move from the fifth up into the fourth round... that would be good enough for me.

Draft a young TE beind Goedert or... as I have said many times... draft Kyle Pitts in the first round and move him all over the field including to TE.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
          I think Ertz is most likely to not report to camp and demand a trade at this point.

If I were the Birds, I'd look for a way to package him in a draft day deal to move up and get a better pick. If you could use him to move up 10-15 spots in the third round maybe or move from the fifth up into the fourth round... that would be good enough for me.

Draft a young TE beind Goedert or... as I have said many times... draft Kyle Pitts in the first round and move him all over the field including to TE.
          I can see this as a likely outcome. If he's not dealt eventually, he may hold out/not report. The team is simply waiting for what they believe is fair compensation for a deal. Now, with the cap breathing room, IMO Ertz is the only one in a rush. Use his value in a draft day deal. Conversely, as more TEs are signed in FA, less teams may call the Eagles to ask about a deal...

Comment

The potential destinations for Zach Ertz seem to be dwindling and Eagles general manager Howie Roseman insists that Philadelphia will not be dealing the veteran tight end unless it makes sense.

According to league sources, it's made some sense for the Los Angeles Chargers and Buffalo Bills, who floated offers for Ertz, a three-time Pro Bowl tight end coming off his worst season as a professional.

The offers haven't been enticing enough for Philadelphia, however.

“Zach’s been a huge part of the success we’ve had since we drafted him. He is a heck of a player, he is a heck of a person and we value him,” Roseman said on Thursday afternoon in a videoconference call. “And for us to trade any player, it’s gotta make sense for both sides. It’s gotta make sense for the Philadelphia Eagles too."

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
              I don't think there is a rush on the Eagles part to trade him. Ertz wants a new contract and has asked for a trade. The Eagles are getting offered two bags of balls and a shoe shiner for him so they are keeping him until they get an offer worthy of one of the better tight ends in football. The rest of football are under the impression that they would release Ertz but there is simply no reason to. Especially since the savings are only 4.5 million. They are under the cap enough now to draft and that is important. Also, keeping Ertz allows you to address other positions in the draft. I personally think Ertz down season last year had as much to do with his injuries and the absolute mess the offense was. I see no reason why he can't be a 60 catch 800yrd 8 TD player next year. Unless you get at least a three for him you keep him. He will be motivated to perform well so he can get paid in free agency
              After June 1, releasing or trading Ertz would save $8.5 million. I don't think they have any plans to let him go before then, unless they get blown away by an offer. After June 1, things are different IMO.

Comment

I am also in the boat to hold onto him. He may hold out of camp, and I am okay with that, but he is under contract and will show for the season. I am a believer the you only trade when it helps you -- no other reason
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

The guy is going to make $8.5 million this year and you guys really think that he's going to sit out a season? He has zero leverage and is 30 years old.

Comment

Ertz may have gone to Stanford, but ya, he will play for $8.5m, esp in a contract year that could set him up for a lot more. I wouldn’t rule out a draft day trade that allows the Birds to move up a round or within a round.
                    Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                    Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      The guy is going to make $8.5 million this year and you guys really think that he's going to sit out a season? He has zero leverage and is 30 years old.
                      The best thing he can do is play out of his mind
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

You actually are probably right. $8.5 for what he brings to the table... which ain’t much anymore... is pretty good.

maybe this is a case where a player went out and had his agent check the market and found there was not one and returns quietly.

if they draft Pitts though they might cut him.
                        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                          You actually are probably right. $8.5 for what he brings to the table... which ain’t much anymore... is pretty good.

maybe this is a case where a player went out and had his agent check the market and found there was not one and returns quietly.

if they draft Pitts though they might cut him.
                          Well in fairness he was injued last year AW. Didn't he break the record for TE recetions the year before? It's funny how things work out. He might actually have to take a cut to play with the Birds.

Comment

60 I think he still has gas in the tank and I’ve always liked his effort and heart. I’d love to see him retire a Bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                              Bingo. I do think eventually they will trade him. Right now there is no rush. He has plenty of gas left in the tank. If he is 100% healthy he is still a top 10 tight end in this league. You simply don't trade that for a 5th round pick in 2023.
                              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                              X