Eagles sign Joe Flacco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles sign Joe Flacco

Howard Eskin reporting it is a done deal. Haven’t been able to confirm it yet.

Edit: ESPN Reporting it now.1 year deal, $3.5 mill with possible $4 mill more in incentives.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ck-jalen-hurts
    Last edited by Jukin; 03-23-2021, 06:36 PM.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Sure. Good capable backup.

say no to Watson.

Comment

Seems like a lot of money but he is 36 years old and doesn't need the money. Maybe we needed to convince him to play. And maybe we went with him so there would be no calls for the backup.

This needs to be all Hurts in 2021 and see what this kid can do.

I think he is going to surprise us.
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Disagree with approach. I don’t think we need to be “all in” with a second round second year player when someone like Mariota is available. I would have brought in Mariota and let two mobile quarterbacks battle it out. Too much deference and pandering to make sure Hurts is “comfortable”. He is an athlete ... should be fine with competition, particularly given he has proven nothing in the NFL.
        Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
        Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Flacco isn't a hell of a lot different than Nick IMM. Experienced guy who can help Hurts if Hurts is willing to listen to a vet but isn't a threat to take over the starting gig. And he is a smart enough vet that he can step in if Hurts can't play. Comes home to Audubon at the end of his career. My brother has lived in Audubon for 40 years or so and watched him grow up; my niece and nephew are right at the same age and all speak well of him. Saw a pic from social media of Flacco as a kid wearing Eagles garb so he was a fan before going to Balt. Not going to be a barn burner but the birds needed a back up and they got one. Just hope like hell they don't go QB early in this draft
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by flyered View Post
            Disagree with approach. I don’t think we need to be “all in” with a second round second year player when someone like Mariota is available. I would have brought in Mariota and let two mobile quarterbacks battle it out. Too much deference and pandering to make sure Hurts is “comfortable”. He is an athlete ... should be fine with competition, particularly given he has proven nothing in the NFL.
            I see it your way too fly.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by flyered View Post
              Mariota was not available. He was under contract with the Raiders, and restructured his deal to stay there.

Comment

I'm with EB. Mariota would have been nice if available. Not a fan of Flacco, but he is an experienced and capable back up. I hope he is willing to mentor and help. He is a statue. If he has to play, we are already sunk.

Comment

Decent backup and financially the only real decent option we have for 2021

there is no way we could have afforded Mariota as a backup. Nor am I a fan of any huge 2021 competition for Hurts anyway.

Flacco is not an exciting signing. But needed

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    Just hope like hell they don't go QB early in this draft
                    That would be insane, especially at this point after signing Flacco. Hurts needs to be given a shot. He is a 2nd round pick and did show enough flashes last year.

In 27 years under Lurie, the Eagles have had only 9 losing seasons. Even Chip Kelly had an overall winning record with the Eagles. All 3 HC under Lurie had a winning record. That is pretty impressive.

With that said, something doesn't feel right about this team right now. I hope that I am wrong. I was certainly wrong about Doug as I hated the hire initially. But, I was all in when he filled out his coaching staff with Schwartz and Reich.

Comment

Guys I agree completely on Mariotta. If he was available I would have had zero issue with bringing him in to compete with Hurts. It would be his third team and he is now viewed as a bit of a journeyman. Flacco is an aging Vet and not a threat and I think Mariotta would have been more of a threat and there could even have been an open QB competition which I'm OK with. A guy like Trubisky though I would have been against because he is a former first rounder and is a few years younger than Mariotta even and is looking for a home and a team to lead. I think that would be unwanted noise to bring in around Hurts.

I think for a change the Eagles need to put some skill guys around the QB and see what they have. And then, let's say Hurts doesn't pan out... you go into next season targeting a QB like Trubisky who I actually think can still play or you go after Sam Darnold even or draft a guy. Most likely draft a guy.

But the Eagles did make this mess by drafting Hurts. Carson wanted out and he should accept a lot of blame for his play and the situation.

Now is not the time to make the same mistake. Hurts gives me every reason to think he should be given a chance to prove himself. He was an elite QB coming out of high school and played well at Bama until an injury and Tua came along. He also played well at Oklahoma.

Give the kid a shot... I'm all in with Hurts in 2021 at this point. I don't need noise around him.
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I'm all in with Hurts also. The Eagles have about as close to a can't miss opportunity in the 1st round to get an offensive skill player as you can get. Don't get cute. Don't try to fucking out smart everyone else. Don't do anything stupid. I know this is the Eagles, and that's a very tall order. But, it really looks like Pitts, Smith, and Waddle should all be there. I'd take any one of those three guys to put in the mix. I don't want a QB. I'd rather see them draft Parsons than a QB. They could really use a guy like that on defense too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                          I'm all in with Hurts also. The Eagles have about as close to a can't miss opportunity in the 1st round to get an offensive skill player as you can get. Don't get cute. Don't try to fucking out smart everyone else. Don't do anything stupid. I know this is the Eagles, and that's a very tall order. But, it really looks like Pitts, Smith, and Waddle should all be there. I'd take any one of those three guys to put in the mix. I don't want a QB. I'd rather see them draft Parsons than a QB. They could really use a guy like that on defense too.
                          So much for not being stupid EB. How did I KNOW the asshole would do something like this?
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                          X