Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Eagles and Jalen Hurts that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Eagles and Jalen Hurts that bad?

I try to not to let my green blood get in the way. I know it's a first year coaching staff with a starting QB that comes with alot of doubts.

I'm not expecting a lot, but I do think 8 to 9 wins and being an average team this year is likely. Their talent on paper is really not that far off from the rest of the division in my mind. But maybe I am nuts?

Meanwhile it seems an absolute from the media that this team will finish 4th. Has a QB that should only be a backup. Has the worst group of weapons. Has an unproven QB. Old defense. Non exciting group of coaches. Most experts (even some I respect) seem to think that not only will we suck this year. We are going to suck for the next 3 plus years.

what a weird off season. I have so many schools of thoughts on this upcoming season. Expecting average. I also think it is possible that we shock people and compete for the division. Then again I'm starting to let the media get to me and am mentally preparing myself for the "possibility" of back to back real rough seasons. Mostly based on what I keep hearing.

Dallas offense is better at QB and WR. Skins defensive line is way better than ours. Outside of those groups, I'm not seeing the huge talent and future difference over us

I don't think we are that bad of a team. I also feel real confident that we will have a great opportunity to turn it around fast next year with cap space and picks. Not sure why people are acting like we are void of talent.

thoughts?

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
    I try to not to let my green blood get in the way. I know it's a first year coaching staff with a starting QB that comes with alot of doubts.

I'm not expecting a lot, but I do think 8 to 9 wins and being an average team this year is likely. Their talent on paper is really not that far off from the rest of the division in my mind. But maybe I am nuts?

Meanwhile it seems an absolute from the media that this team will finish 4th. Has a QB that should only be a backup. Has the worst group of weapons. Has an unproven QB. Old defense. Non exciting group of coaches. Most experts (even some I respect) seem to think that not only will we suck this year. We are going to suck for the next 3 plus years.

what a weird off season. I have so many schools of thoughts on this upcoming season. Expecting average. I also think it is possible that we shock people and compete for the division. Then again I'm starting to let the media get to me and am mentally preparing myself for the "possibility" of back to back real rough seasons. Mostly based on what I keep hearing.

Dallas offense is better at QB and WR. Skins defensive line is way better than ours. Outside of those groups, I'm not seeing the huge talent and future difference over us

I don't think we are that bad of a team. I also feel real confident that we will have a great opportunity to turn it around fast next year with cap space and picks. Not sure why people are acting like we are void of talent.

thoughts?
    I guess that I have to give the same answer as always Dawk. I feel that we have a good roster and will go as far as Hurts can take us. I admit that I really have doubts about Hurts though. As he goes we go.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Hurts has Talent at Wr, TE, and RB and I will put a healthy offensive line up against anyone. I think he will have a very good season
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        Hurts has Talent at Wr, TE, and RB and I will put a healthy offensive line up against anyone. I think he will have a very good season
        MM, the ultimate eternal optimist!

Comment

It is always hard to step back and separate fandom from rational analysis. The Eagles have a top O-line if healthy and an above average D-line. Those two things together mean they have a fighting chance in every game. However, this team is coming off of a terrible year and made some significant changes resulting in enough unknowns that the talking heads out there are justified in setting expectations very low. The unknowns in order of my personal ranking of importance are: Hurts, Smith, health of the o-line, New coaching staff, and the secondary.

Comment

I like that they have low expectations, and will probably be the underdog in most, if not every game this season. This team has never handled prosperity well, but when they are the underdog they seem to thrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post

MM, the ultimate eternal optimist!
              Always and forever. I really do like this team and IMO someone is going to be traded/ released and we will get our CB2. That happens and we will be right with anyone in the division
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I really like Hurts character, but I am an eternal pessimist. I am not sure we made a significant upgrade at RB. We added 1 quality WR and retained a mad Ertz. I don’t see that as a strong skills group. Now, a change in scheme may help. The OL can be a positive, but, once again, we are overly reliant on people coming off major injuries. The DL needs to stay healthy, but stay off the field. The LB and DB are question marks.
                The division made strides to improve. I believe the salary cap did not allow us to make equal improvements.

I think we will be in a lot of games, but really only see the Jets as a sure thing. Raiders, Lions, Saints, Broncos, Falcons, Panthers are pick em games. Probably go 2-4 in division; Fitz has our number, NY will be better and we play that later when Barkley should be back and Dallas put a lot into that defense. Split with NY and Wash. We will not beat KC, Bucs, 49ers, or Chargers. So, if we win 4 of pick em games, Jets and 2-4 in division, steal one of the losses; we go 8 wins. I truly believe that is best case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                  It is always hard to step back and separate fandom from rational analysis. The Eagles have a top O-line if healthy and an above average D-line. Those two things together mean they have a fighting chance in every game. However, this team is coming off of a terrible year and made some significant changes resulting in enough unknowns that the talking heads out there are justified in setting expectations very low. The unknowns in order of my personal ranking of importance are: Hurts, Smith, health of the o-line, New coaching staff, and the secondary.
                  I like your thinking Vet. I'll just add that if Hurts thrives it means the wrs do too and vice versa. They all comingled and must perform well for the team to thrive.

Comment

I don't have high expectations but also believe that given the stars aligning the team can compete for second in the division. I hear about the OL but the are unproven at LT, they have a good but not great LG who may be the most solid guy on the line, a RG who is had a couple of real bad injuries, a stud RT who is coming off injury, and a smaller C who, while All Pro, is getting older and gets beat up by bigger guys regularly. So they could come together for magic but they may just be average. I like the RB group esp if Sanders comes up big. WR group will be better but Smith needs someone to step up and take some of the pressure off when he gets blanketed. I think Reagor can do that but no one has yet to see that. Finally, I am all in on Hurts. I think he has talent but it is his first real year. This offense will take time to gel and will have to hope they stay healthy. Hope isn't a strategy to bet on IMO.
                    Same on D. The DL should remain a strength but the are getting older so expectations have to be that they will be good not great. LB, maybe some talent but it isn't All Pro talent. It is good but not great at best. The same at CB and safety. If they have chemistry they could surprise people. If the staff can bring surprises every game they could surprise people. But no one is going to predict they will win the division
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                      I don't have high expectations but also believe that given the stars aligning the team can compete for second in the division. I hear about the OL but the are unproven at LT, they have a good but not great LG who may be the most solid guy on the line, a RG who is had a couple of real bad injuries, a stud RT who is coming off injury, and a smaller C who, while All Pro, is getting older and gets beat up by bigger guys regularly. So they could come together for magic but they may just be average. I like the RB group esp if Sanders comes up big. WR group will be better but Smith needs someone to step up and take some of the pressure off when he gets blanketed. I think Reagor can do that but no one has yet to see that. Finally, I am all in on Hurts. I think he has talent but it is his first real year. This offense will take time to gel and will have to hope they stay healthy. Hope isn't a strategy to bet on IMO.
                      Same on D. The DL should remain a strength but the are getting older so expectations have to be that they will be good not great. LB, maybe some talent but it isn't All Pro talent. It is good but not great at best. The same at CB and safety. If they have chemistry they could surprise people. If the staff can bring surprises every game they could surprise people. But no one is going to predict they will win the division
                      I absolutely couldn't disagree with you more ND! I rarely see Kelce get overpowered. That's just something that gets said so often that it's qft. Brooks is one of the finest guards in the game. He's said that he's in the best shape of his life so what's the problem?

Comment

Kelce gets out and gets guys but he is one of the smaller guys going against much bigger guys. Not saying he loses I am saying he gets beat up- his body gets beat up - regularly. Hell he has been thinking retirement for three years because of it. That can't be denied 60.
                        How many games has Brooks played the last two years? Are you saying he is one of the finest guards in the league based on his reputation or his production the last two years. Evidence from the last two years suggests he may not play but hell I hope he returns to form and is one of the best RGs in the league. Are your willing to lay $100 that he plays 17 games this year. I'm not but you can probably find that bet somewhere
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Guys... I think this team is going to shock a lot of people. With the caveat that we must stay healthy on the offensive line, I think we might went 9 to 10 games. Hurts is the real deal and we are going to be able to run the ball down people's throats. We are DEEP at RB and the OL. And Hurts can run too.
                          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                            Guys... I think this team is going to shock a lot of people. With the caveat that we must stay healthy on the offensive line, I think we might went 9 to 10 games. Hurts is the real deal and we are going to be able to run the ball down people's throats. We are DEEP at RB and the OL. And Hurts can run too.
                            I like the way you think. Offensively, I think the team can be pretty good. Baltimore has built a functioning offense around a running QB. They just need some of these WRs to step up.

God only knows what the defense is going to look like though.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                              Kelce gets out and gets guys but he is one of the smaller guys going against much bigger guys. Not saying he loses I am saying he gets beat up- his body gets beat up - regularly. Hell he has been thinking retirement for three years because of it. That can't be denied 60.
                              How many games has Brooks played the last two years? Are you saying he is one of the finest guards in the league based on his reputation or his production the last two years. Evidence from the last two years suggests he may not play but hell I hope he returns to form and is one of the best RGs in the league. Are your willing to lay $100 that he plays 17 games this year. I'm not but you can probably find that bet somewhere
                              Heck MD, I'm not putting $100 on any player in the league to play all 17 games but I get your point. I don't think there was a team in the league who had an O line intact for every game last year. The fact that some guys play all 20 games a season is remarkable.

Comment

Working...
                              X