• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not? Gordi Howe did it

Gordie Howe retired at 52!

Can Brady play till age 50? He says yes
    Sep
    9/16/2021 7:18:36 PM
    44-year-old Tom Brady is already under contract to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers through the 2023 season but he seems to be thinking about a future under center for the Bucs even beyond that according to Josh Alper of Pro Football Talk.com.

Brady's next big milestone will be his 50th birthday. In a video Brady and tight end Rob Gronkowski filmed for the team’s website, Gronk asked Brady if he can play into another decade. “Wow. Seems to be a really hot question lately,” Brady said. “Can Tom Brady play ’til 50? Like, 50 years old? . . . I don’t find it so difficult. Plus, in Florida, it’s kind of a retiree state, so I feel like I can play and then just glide into retirement. I think I can. I think it’s a yes.”

Gronkowski went on to ask if Brady’s wife Gisele Bundchen would let him play until that point. Brady joked that is a “way better question” before saying he thinks she would as long as it would make him happy. While Brady and Gronk are for the most part joking around in the video, no one should ever count Tom Brady out for anything. He is still playing at a high level, seems to love his job more than most people on this planet, and keeps himself in such good shape that playing until age 50 does not sound impossible.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

George Blanda played until he was 48 back in the 70's (although not very well). He mostly kicked near the end, but did play some QB.

Brady is in great shape and a physical specimen with his health. He can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
      George Blanda played until he was 48 back in the 70's (although not very well). He mostly kicked near the end, but did play some QB.

Brady is in great shape and a physical specimen with his health. He can do it.
      Remember that year when he came from behind about 5 or 6 times with TDs or a kick to win it? I think the starter got hurt half way through the season and he finished it out. It was amazing to experience and the whole sports world was tuned in.

Comment

Not sure he can make it to 50 but he has a few years at least the way it looked last week and I wouldnt put 50 out of the picture
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          [B]

Remember that year when he came from behind about 5 or 6 times with TDs or a kick to win it? I think the starter got hurt half way through the season and he finished it out. It was amazing to experience and the whole sports world was tuned in.
          I do remember. My family was living just south of Oakland at the time. I was an Eagles fan #1 (birth home) and briefly a Raiders fan #2 (that didn't last long).

Comment

And Blanda didn’t have any rules changed to protect him. If Brady does play till 50 there should be a huge asterisk stating that Blanda played with men and Brady played during a time when men are allowed to be women
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I do remember. My family was living just south of Oakland at the time. I was an Eagles fan #1 (birth home) and briefly a Raiders fan #2 (that didn't last long).
              It was tough to route against Blanda back then. I forgive you.

Comment

Working...
              X