Eagles vs Bucs Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagles vs Bucs Observations

Never expected them to win. Figured they may at least show some improvement. What they are showing is they are completely overmatched both talent and coaching wise.

1. Hurts was again really bad. In fact he is not getting any better. He is hesitant with this throws, he is taking off and running far too quickly, he is not seeing the whole field. I say this is he is not showing any consistency. He will make one throw like the throw to Watkins for the two point conversion which was absolutely perfect. Then 10 throws that are off the mark. He is leaving way too many plays on the field. I think every team is now seeing this on tape and are attempting to exploit this week in and week out. Playoff caliber teams will do so with ease. The middling Carolina of the world will have some success at it.

2. The WR are getting open on this team. My son was at the game and sent me several Alt 22 type pictures (as he was in one of the end zones). Guys are open, he is just not seeing them. Again not every single play but consistent enough that you can start to question the QB.

3. Sirarrni play calling is really becoming an issue. its kind of a chicken and thing, When your offensive line is banged up and your QB is struggling to make high school level throws its tough to call a game. However that said, he has to run the ball more to take the pressure off the QB. I don't know if the game plans are more to see Hurts in every situation to every situation possible to make an honest read on him going forward. I mean after all that is what this year is suppose to be about right. (I call BS on that) This year should be about installing Siranni's offense and Gannons defense. Seeing which players can and can't play in it. Right now I am not seeing that from Siranni. He is struggling as a play caller and doesn't have a veteran staff behind him helping him get through that. His QB is doing him zero favor and his offensive line has injury and family issues. However if you look at how they won the Atlanta game against a team as bad as they are, (packaged plays, shallow targets, selective shots) These are the limits of Hurts game at this point He really can't throw the deep ball with any consistency. They got lucky on the two PI's (both were but you can't count on that) . Balls down the seem don't seem to be in this offense, yet you have two of the better TE in football who feasts on those plays. The reason is Hurt can't make those throw.

4. The NFL needs to get the officiating straightened out. Thursday night game and you get that performance. Just pitiful. Catches called incomplete despite being obvious in real time they were completions. Ticky Tacky PI on play, to obvious egregious on others that were not called. Holding calls right in front of the officials not called. Brady throws an elbow at Barnett right in front of the official while the play was still going on, not called because the official was trying to get between them while the play was still going on. Barnett was doing what he was suppose to do. He can't blast Brady there (the Hugh Douglas rule)> But he can harrass him, you never know Brady may have had to try and make a tackle. I have no problem with Barnett on that play. I do have a problem with the official and the Brady elbow. Especially after Wilson gets head butted and he gets called for taunting. I think there are too many rules on the books and too much discretion for the officials. Funny thing is the Eagles only had 4 penalties last night. The Bucs got killed on those two long ones. But that is not what this is about. Selective officiating is really bad for the league

5. I again will say Jonathan Gannon is overmatched as a defensive coordinator. He had such hype coming into this year. The fact is he is just not ready. He plays wussy defense and that simply doesn't fly in this town. The zones are way too soft. When a team needs 5 yards they line up 10 yards deep. So many times the defensive line was within a whisker of getting there but since the coverage is so soft QB's are throwing that short 5-6 yard dump off and then watching their receivers double that yardage because was have 6 guys 20 yards down the field. We can blame the linebackers and safeties all you want, but the spacing and positioning is on Gannon and right now its god awful. Don't care about the stats. Tampa could have thrown up 60 on this team last night if they wanted to. They were content with running the ball, short passing game that ran the clock and to get out of town.

6. Devion Taylor looked pretty damn good last night. He needs more snaps. He can cover, I know he missed one tackle but he is exactly the type of player we should be seeing on the field this year. Tons of talent just needs playing time to develop.

7. Best game of Avonte Maddox career. He was all over the field. Made sure tackles. He did get beat a few times and every corner does but he played well last night.

8. Very quiet game for DeVonta Smith. Not his fault though. As I saw from the pictures and what my son told me is he was open on almost every play. Why not target him?

9, I know Tampa was really good against the run statistically. However I have not seen a team commit to the run against them. Probably because they are usually down very quickly in games. Vita Vea is an absolute monster in the run stopping game. Might be the best run stopping tackle in the game. You have to run the ball more even if its for no gain (which happened several times last night) Oh and where was Gainwell? The only play I saw him on was a big overthrow by Hurts where he was open (The announcers said it should have been PI but the ball was way overthrown not catchable ) They need to design some plays where both he and Sanders are in the backfield together. Hell put him in the slot an bring in Boston Scott and Sanders. Get a little more creative.

10. Hearing some big rumors that this may have been Zach Ertz last game as an Eagle. Ertz was emotional after the game. I think the Eagles may have something close to being agreed on and maybe his agent is involved trying to get a new contract in the deal. If this is the case I really want to wish Ertz well. No Superbowl without his catch period. One of my favorite players from that team. Going to miss him.

Overall this game didn't help answer any more questions except that maybe the coaching staff is overmatched and the QB isn't what some thought he is.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Hurts is still very young and is being coached by a very young and inexperienced staff. All QBs are limited or blossom depending on where they get drafted. Hurts did not fall into a good spot. Having said that I believe he might be able to improve accuracy and reading of the defenses but can’t get a bigger arm. But I am coming to believe he was just a very good college QB because he didn’t play against NFL talent every week. I still give him until game 12.
    we have talent at WR RB and TE. No need to draft there next year.
    I am of the opinion Sirrianinis in over his head with olay calling and HC duty. Better concentrate on HC or he will be looking for an OC job somewhere.
    I am not ready to say Gannon is not DC material. The birds just do not have talent on D. CBs and safeties are average at best while the LBs are below average. Taylor has opportunity to secure a role as best LB
    i called for them to be a running team before the draft last year
    and they didn’t do it. They are paying the price. Sanders had great runs last night
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I thought Hurts played pretty good when he could stand in the pocket which is about 10% of the time with the crap O LINE that we put out there. Gannon blows. Again to absolutely stupid 15 yard penalty‘s. How the hell do you fire a Super Bowl winning coach and defensive coordinator to replace them with a couple of kids? Louie and Whoie are clowns.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Great list Taz. You covered pretty much everything I was going to say this morning.

I agree, Hurts is getting worse. Coaching is not helping. But, it goes beyond that. I was hopeful going into the season with Hurts that he could still be the guy. I am now pretty convinced that is he not going to be a starter in this league for long. Decent backup yes. I love the guy and wish him all the success in the world. But, he just doesn't have the accuracy. I don't think that is something that can be greatly improved.

If Deshaun Watson didn't have all those legal issues, I think the Eagles make the move today (if he was still available with no legal issues). The draft is a QB crapshoot and I think Eagles management would pay handsomely for a quality, proven NFL QB. If only Watson didn't have those legal issues, at this point I would be OK with trading all 3 of our 2022 1st round picks for him (potentially 3). In order to be a SB contender, you have to have a top QB these days. Nick's run was an outlier and only happened because Wentz played out of his mind that year before the injury.

The Watson situation is really crazy. Will some desperate team pay Houston a ton of picks with those issues outstanding ? I know the Eagles have always went after character guys. But, they took on Micheal Vick. The difference is Vick was reformed in their minds and Watson is still denying everything.

Overall, we are really F'ed right now and in the near future. So many issues: QB, coaching, discipline, injuries, lack of depth, weak LB's. But, if you bring in a stud QB, many of those issues go away. Unfortunately, Hurts accuracy will probably always keep him from being the guy anywhere. The book on him was that he had plenty of arm strength for his QB class. But, it doesn't show on the field.

I stopped watching last night at halftime. There was no way they were coming back on Brady, even though they made a bit of a run. And, our offense and defense were boring the hell out of me.

Comment

The play calling as it is it’s hard to get a read on Hurts. There’s very little motion. Not a lot of variation in formation. If this is all Sirianni has he is one and done.

this team is desperate for an edge rusher and a LB that can run and hit. They get very little pressure now against QBs just with their front 4.

sanders needs to run north and south more.

the OL is not the problem. Neither are the WRs.

i am still giving hurts the season but I’m losing confidence. He looks like he is not trusting his eyes and he short arms throws because of it.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I am no longer optimistic on Hurts. J-bird keeps telling me to be patient. I'm not ready to give up on him totally. I don't think the offensive coaching staff is doing a good job. There's a major imbalance in the play calling. They don't/can't run the football. Perhaps they're putting too much on Hurts. I don't think Hurts has been put in the best position to succeed. BUT, that being said, I seriously question his arm talent. He makes too many bad throws. He has nice touch on the short stuff. It's not like McNabb throwing worm burners. Thinking back to McNabb gives me a bit of hope, because McNabb had games where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 feet.

I am also wondering how much of this is Siriani, and how much is Hurts. A lot of a QB's development and success depends upon the situation around them, and I don't think the coaching staff is doing a good job. I'm probably even less optimistic on them than I am on Hurts at the moment.

Either way, as Popper puts it, we're porked.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
              I am no longer optimistic on Hurts. J-bird keeps telling me to be patient. I'm not ready to give up on him totally. I don't think the offensive coaching staff is doing a good job. There's a major imbalance in the play calling. They don't/can't run the football. Perhaps they're putting too much on Hurts. I don't think Hurts has been put in the best position to succeed. BUT, that being said, I seriously question his arm talent. He makes too many bad throws. He has nice touch on the short stuff. It's not like McNabb throwing worm burners. Thinking back to McNabb gives me a bit of hope, because McNabb had games where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 feet.

I am also wondering how much of this is Siriani, and how much is Hurts. A lot of a QB's development and success depends upon the situation around them, and I don't think the coaching staff is doing a good job. I'm probably even less optimistic on them than I am on Hurts at the moment.

Either way, as Popper puts it, we're porked.
              How can you question the playcalling EB? I mean I’ll bet they’ve made 15 yards already in just five games throwing The Pinky Special.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
              X