PFT: CJGJ Likely Overpricing Himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: CJGJ Likely Overpricing Himself

As pretty much everyone expected to happen...

There have been crickets this week regarding Gardner-Johnson. Typically, that’s a sign the player wants more than anyone will pay.

As one league source put it on Saturday morning, anyone who remains available at this point is overshooting the market.

Five days since the market essentially opened, it’s also a sign that big money likely won’t be there. Teams burn through their budgets fairly quickly, rarely keeping money around for a player who wanted more than he attracted at the outset of the process.

The situation points to a potential one-year deal for Gardner-Johnson, allowing him to hit the market again next year, in another attempt to cash in with a multi-year contract.

A player with a nose for the ball, Gardner-Johnson had six interceptions (tied for the league lead) in 12 games last season.

A return to the Eagles remains possible. The Broncos also could be interested, given that new coach Sean Payton worked for the Saints when Gardner-Johnson arrived via round four of the draft.

However it plays out, someone will be getting a damn good player. He just likely won’t be getting the damn good contract he was hoping to secure.
    Our top-10 free agents include a pair of players who are available to anyone who wants to pursue them. For one, quarterback Lamar Jackson, a pair of first-round draft picks would be the compensation if he’s signed to an offer sheet that the Ravens don’t match. For the other, safety C.J. Gardner-Johnson, he’s free and [more]

not to be too negative but our defensive backs got torched in the Super Bowl. I'm not dumping on CJ necessarily but how much do we want all of these guys back collectively? just saying
    Last edited by Eagle60; 03-18-2023, 02:55 PM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

You are here: Blog Description
      | Login

C.J. Gardner-Johnson doesn't seem thrilled with the free-agent market so far
      Mar
      3/18/2023 6:16:22 PM
      C.J. Gardner-Johnson entered the 2023 NFL free agency process with the understanding that he’d have a huge market as one of the top young safeties in the NFL.

Gardner-Johnson was traded to the Eagles during the 2022 preseason and promptly helped elevate the defense to one of the NFL’s top units.

If not for a lacerated kidney that cost him five games, Gardner-Johnson likely would have been a Pro Bowler and All-Pro after being a co-leader in interceptions with six total.

On Thursday, the free-agent defensive back tweeted and then deleted a post about disrespect, Glenn Erby of USA Today's Eagles Wire reports.

While high-profile safeties like Jessie Bates, Vonn Bell, Jimmie War, and Jordan Boyer have inked new deals, Gardner-Johnson is still unsigned.

One point of contention could be the Eagles and other organizations viewing Gardner-Johnson as more of a hybrid slot cornerback, and not a true safety.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at
      http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I’m all for bringing him back. Have said I think he should be their priority. But he like many before him thinks he is worth more than owners think he is worth. Maybe it is him or maybe it is his agent. Whatever. NFL players make good money. Make your money while you can because it may not be there later
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

The first weekend of NFL free agency has arrived, and there will be many more weekends to come.

On this one, however, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is still seeking employment. The safety who shined with the Eagles in his one and only year with them in 2022, was ranked by most as one of the top five free agents heading into the new league year on March 15.

He is still available to a team willing to meet his asking price, and the Eagles are still in the mix.

Gardner-Johnson is on record as saying he believes he is the best safety in football.

Jessie Bates got a deal early in free agency to jump ship from the Bengals to the Falcons on a four-year deal worth $16M per year.

Bates is a year older and, statistically, has numbers very similar to CJGJ.

It stands to reason then that Gardner-Johnson should be paid accordingly.

For some reason, he hasn’t been, and it’s at that point in free agency where one-year, prove-it deals become more frequent than longer-term ones.

Gardner-Johnson has already proven himself, yet that may be the road he is forced to travel.

A one-year deal would certainly be to the benefit of the Eagles, who have made a good living on handing those out to such players as Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, and Jason Kelce.

They are veterans, though.

Still, if CJGJ has any concern about what a one-year deal can do for him with the Eagles, he just has to look at teammate James Bradberry, who signed a one-year prove-it deal last May to come to Philly.
          The safety market is interesting, however.

The Bengals, who may have been a landing spot for CJGJ, filled Bates’ spot by signing former Penn State product Nick Scott to a three-year deal on Friday that will pay him $4M a year. Scott is coming off a career season with 86 tackles, two interceptions, and two forced fumbles.

Also on Friday, the Patriots cut Jalen Mills on Friday. Mills can play safety and did for a bit when he was in Philadelphia when he began his career. The former seventh-round draft pick in 2016, the Green Goblin is still under 30. He turns 29 in April.

There is also the potential that the Titans part ways with two-time Pro Bowl safety Kevin Byard, who turns 30 in August.

It was reported that the Titans wanted Byard to take a pay cut, but Byard isn’t interested. It’s a situation that bears monitoring if you’re Gardner-Johnson.

Comment

The thing is CJGJ has visions of 16 -18 mill a year. The reality is only Jesse Bates got 16 mill and he is a better player. CJGJ has two things that are playing against him. One he has only played 12 games in each of the last two seasons. Injury history matters. Two he only played safety this year so its more of a projection for some teams. The other big thing is all the other safeties are getting 6-8 mill a year.

Me Personally I think he is not worth what Bates is worth and something slightly north of what some of the others have got. Figure somewhere in the 9 mill per year range. I don't think he will take that, I am betting that is what the Eagles are offering. 3yrs 27 mill with some incentives get to 33 mill.

The Eagles have to look a the alternative. If they don't sign him maybe they sign Adrian Amos for 5 mill a year. Plus to that he just turned 30, is a ball hawk not quite the same as CJGJ but a ball hawk and he was with Desai in Chicago. Minus he just turned 30. For a year or two he would be a good signing with us drafting a safety high like round 2 this year and have him learn from Amos.

Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
              The thing is CJGJ has visions of 16 -18 mill a year. The reality is only Jesse Bates got 16 mill and he is a better player. CJGJ has two things that are playing against him. One he has only played 12 games in each of the last two seasons. Injury history matters. Two he only played safety this year so its more of a projection for some teams. The other big thing is all the other safeties are getting 6-8 mill a year.

Me Personally I think he is not worth what Bates is worth and something slightly north of what some of the others have got. Figure somewhere in the 9 mill per year range. I don't think he will take that, I am betting that is what the Eagles are offering. 3yrs 27 mill with some incentives get to 33 mill.

The Eagles have to look a the alternative. If they don't sign him maybe they sign Adrian Amos for 5 mill a year. Plus to that he just turned 30, is a ball hawk not quite the same as CJGJ but a ball hawk and he was with Desai in Chicago. Minus he just turned 30. For a year or two he would be a good signing with us drafting a safety high like round 2 this year and have him learn from Amos.
              I thought he played some slot when Maddox was out
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
              X