Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardner Johnson officially signs with Detroit

No terms yet.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

One year and $8 million

this one is a head scratcher. I think the Eagles had that money.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I am hearing the eagles are in on Bobby Wagner and Adrian Amos or Jalen Mills are a lower priced safety option. Maybe that’s the plan instead?

Comment

Word is they offered a 3 year deal at the beginning of free agency and CHJ and his agent turned it down. Seems the Eagles had to pivot and went with Bradberry instead.

clearly the Eagles valued him at a number and stuck to it.

as a fan it feels like this sucks. However, there were reasons and let’s see what we do

Comment

Damn I really wanted him back.
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

If the CGJ money becomes Bobby Wagner, Jalen Mills, and a safety at 30 or 62 than we are better off.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
              Word is they offered a 3 year deal at the beginning of free agency and CHJ and his agent turned it down. Seems the Eagles had to pivot and went with Bradberry instead.

clearly the Eagles valued him at a number and stuck to it.

as a fan it feels like this sucks. However, there were reasons and let’s see what we do
              That is what's being reported about it. He and his agent wanted more than what the Eagles offered, so the team pivoted to Bradberry and Slay. No other real offers materialized so they took the prove-it deal from Detroit.

As for options moving forward, Mills is one possibility, as are Amos, John Johnson, and a long-shot play for Kevin Byard should the Titans cut him. I would love for them to add Byard but I don't see that happening because of the potential price tag. FWIW, Byard is from Philly too.
              Last edited by ThoughtProcess; 03-19-2023, 11:32 PM.

Comment

On Byard and the Titans asking him to take a pay cut:

The Tennessee Titans are trying to clear more cap space and Byard’s $19.6 million cap hit is the second highest on the team, behind quarterback Ryan Tannehill. The issue is releasing Kevin Byard now would not make much financial sense. If the Titans cut Byard, they would only save $5.9 million in salary cap space while eating $13.6 million in dead cap.

The Titans could cut Byard with a “Post June 1” designation and it would save $14 million, but two things make that not an enticing route. One, the Titans would still have to eat $5 million in dead money in 2023 and $8 million in dead money in 2024. Two, the cap savings would not be available until after June 1, long after the early phase of free agency concludes.

It is no surprise that Byard balked at the Titans request to take a pay cut. Byard has been playing excellent football since the time he stepped on a field for the Titans. Byard has made two all-pro teams in his career and played in every single game possible. While he may be going into his age-30 season, Byard is still at the top of his game. In 2022, Byard put up 108 tackles, four interceptions and six passes defended.

Despite Byard’s current price tag, the Titans desperately need his play on the field and his leadership off it. Byard has turned into the truest form of a team captain. Losing him may make for a short-term financial gain, but would set the Titans defense back in a major way. The Titans may be looking to make significant changes to the current core of the roster and it appears Byard isn’t in their plans unless he makes less than he has shown he is worth.
                Like I said, love to have him but I can't see that happening...

Comment

I would not be surprised to hear them say the already have the other safety on the roster.
                  We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Seems like Howie had the same issues the Saints did trying to get CJGJ on a long term contract. My understanding is they offered 3yrs 36 mill plus incentives that could get him as high as 44 mill. He turned it down on the first day of free agency. Could explain the whole Slay situation. they were going to release Slay to sign CJGJ. CJGJ comes back and turns down the offer. The Eagle pivot back to Slay. Get him signed and CJGJ is left on the outside looking in. That explains why CJGJ thinks he is being disrespected but in reality he wasn't. His agents over played their hands. They now it to. They took to Twitter with some lame tweet that 8 mill is better than 17 mill. He must be their only client because teams are not going to take kindly to that tweet
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Taz… you are spot on. CGJ’s team not only misread the market. They took less money and now he moves to a worse situation.

Howie should not pull the agents pants down in public. It is a one-year deal and next year if the Eagles are still in need of a safety maybe they look at CGJ again but this is embarrassing for the agent.

Usually, during the season, the agents quietly are fielding calls about what a player might be worth or who is interested. Did that not happen here?

lamar is in the same boat. They overvalue themselves.

Orlando Brown got half this year in guaranteed money what he was offered last year from
                      the Chiefs. What an idiot.

Comment

I wouldn't underestimate Detroit this season. They most likely will win their division.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                          I wouldn't underestimate Detroit this season. They most likely will win their division.
                          they weren't too far off by the end of this season
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                            Taz… you are spot on. CGJ’s team not only misread the market. They took less money and now he moves to a worse situation.

Howie should not pull the agents pants down in public. It is a one-year deal and next year if the Eagles are still in need of a safety maybe they look at CGJ again but this is embarrassing for the agent.
                            I have seen some pretty bad agents in my time and agents that were about them. Never have I seen an agent put out a tweet that says 8 million is better than 17 million on the back end. First off the contract they said they were offered would have been 70% of its worth 3 yrs from now. There has never been a contract in the league signed like that. In fact the most that has ever % wise put into the last year was 46%. Now never say never but I don't think the agents are being truthful here. And since they don't mention the team nobody can "fact check" them. If asked they can say well it wasn't the Eagles or Bengals etc. The fact is the teams know exactly who their agents were bidding with and none of them are going to take kindly to this.

Will any of the team publicly pull the agents pants down and smack them, NO. But privately no one will want to deal with these jokers again. They screwed up pretty badly and the tweet makes it worse. CJGJ should be looking for better representation.

All of this doesn't help the Eagles though. They need to find a safety. There situation is worse than this time last year. They had Epps and Harris who had questions but at least started games in the pros. Blankenship has started games and I like his game but thats it. They are old mother Hubbard with only KVon Wallace in the cubbard and Kvon can;t play.
                            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I love Blankenship. BUT the way he plays, he will be in concussion protocol often

Comment

Working...
                              X